Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catloc and speed bumps

jm89

Any one had issues where their catloc has slammed into a highly raised speed bump? I've had 2 ocassions where i was going very slowly over these high speedbumps and could here the catloc slam into it. i've looked under the car fortunately the catloc still looks intact and not bent or anything. i hope there isn't any hidden damage that i can't see 😞

Moral of the story don't go too slowly over those nasty high speedbumps with a catloc... need some pace to make sure the catloc doesn't make contact.

Can you explain how “pace” makes a difference?

10 hours ago, jm89 said:

Any one had issues where their catloc has slammed into a highly raised speed bump? I've had 2 ocassions where i was going very slowly over these high speedbumps and could here the catloc slam into it.

I’ve not noticed any problems with the Toyota catloc. How high a speed bump are we talking about?

There is a very high speed bump at the nearby NHS facility but I’m reluctant to test it, for obvious reasons… 

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Can you explain how “pace” makes a difference?

I probably should have mentioned this on my OP. But if i go to slowly over a highly raised speedbump like <5mph then it's not enough to push the car over the bump, and then you end up having to push the accelarate at the last minute and if too close to the bump then it makes the front of the car jump up alot higher and comes down a bit harder. If you maintain a steady pace of say 5-10mph depending on the speed bump the front of the car doesn't jump as much and doesn't come down harder.

Never really had to think about this but the catloc has made me unnecessarily cautious.

1 minute ago, jm89 said:

I probably should have mentioned this on my OP. But if i go to slowly over a highly raised speedbump like <5mph then it's not enough to push the car over the bump, and then you end up having to push the accelarate at the last minute and if too close to the bump then it makes the front of the car jump up alot higher and comes down a bit harder. If you maintain a steady pace of say 5-10mph depending on the speed bump the front of the car doesn't jump as much and doesn't come down harder.

That’s how everyone should proceed over speed bumps, slow down on approach, go over slowly at steady speed and let suspension deal with it, do not use brakes as this will compress the springs and you have less travel, harder for you and the car plus jump effect. If the speed bumps are small but high better to go with wheels over them one side than trying to go over. My one is aftermarket cat but dies not protrude at all. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

I’ve not noticed any problems with the Toyota catloc. How high a speed bump are we talking about?

There is a very high speed bump at the nearby NHS facility but I’m reluctant to test it, for obvious reasons… 

Basiclaly as far as the legal limit allows, i think what makes it worse is it's those raised ones that are very short in length and can make you car go up  higher and come down harder at the wrong pace.

4 minutes ago, jm89 said:

Basiclaly as far as the legal limit allows, i think what makes it worse is it's those raised ones that are very short in length and can make you car go up  higher and come down harder at the wrong pace.

Those are very nasty ones, I know. Again better to go at steady slow speed over them and let the car inertia drive the car not engine and never brakes over, it will feel like you are hitting a pothole but that’s how it is , all these speed bumps does nothing to reduce accidents or slow traffic just destroying the cars. The idiots who drives irresponsible still will drive over them at high speeds and dangerously cut you off etc. 

Catlover, if you are still airborne once clear of the bump 😁

I found my first SAAB rode better at speed over rough ground. Driving on a new high speed road (55 max) in Turkey, it was just hard core with running surface yet to be added.  It was 55 km long and after covering 5 km in 20 minutes or so and not knowing how far we just pressed on at high speed and, as Tony says, let the suspension handle it. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Catlover, if you are still airborne once clear of the bump 😁

Where we used to live there was a road with some severe speed bumps. Whenever I went out in the wife’s C1 I told her “no problem for me, I just hit the first one fast and that clears the second one”, then I got the earache!  Did it bother me…. Nah.

Have to feel sorry for the people of Llanelli. Just visited there and the locals say you need to fit crampons to get over their speed bumps. Not only are they very severe, they are every few hundred yards AND there are speed cameras everywhere. The scars on the speed bumps tell tales of broken springs, front aprons and silencer/cat damage. Mind you there are parts of the M4 down there where the ride is as bad as going over the humps!

It's like that in parts of north london - I swear some of the speed humps are designed to break your suspension! Like, they're curved just so it catches your whole wheel at once, instead of being a straight slope. And it seems they deliberately make them worse in the poorer areas - they resurfaced the road last year in one of the more middle-class areas, and when they put the speed humps back they were so shallow you could barely tell you were going over them! When they did the same down a Tottenham road, I had to go over both speed cushions as if you tried to straddle one you'd get that dreaded scrape sound, and this was in a Mk2 Yaris, which has a lot of ground clearance! Thankfully the ridiculous proliferation of hausfrauenpanzers has worn them down pretty quickly...

On 10/22/2021 at 11:14 PM, jm89 said:

Any one had issues where their catloc has slammed into a highly raised speed bump? I've had 2 ocassions where i was going very slowly over these high speedbumps and could here the catloc slam into it. i've looked under the car fortunately the catloc still looks intact and not bent or anything. i hope there isn't any hidden damage that i can't see 😞

Moral of the story don't go too slowly over those nasty high speedbumps with a catloc... need some pace to make sure the catloc doesn't make contact.

Yes, I've had this a couple of times, sounds horrendous and the same thoughts occurred to me. Funny that someone should mention an NHS site as that is where I had this problem. I normally try to slow right down in advance so that I'm not braking by the time I go over them, but I have been caught out by a poorly-marked but quite severe hump. Also had a scrape on uneven ground where there's quite a gradient involved, but manouevring slowly so perhaps no harm done.

In my case the one that always hit the ground firsf is the brace right under the resonator. It is bolted with 4 bolts. Auris only have 1 painted steel brace, 2019 Corolla has 3 aluminum square brace under the body below the exhaust to add the total 30% more rigidity than Auris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links