Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


At what temperature do you fit your winter tyres ?


marlinleg
 Share

Recommended Posts

When do you fit your winter tyres ?

Your thought please

Hello to everyone . 4/5 years ago I rang Dunlop tech department asking the question at what temperature to fit winter  tyres as there adverts were saying 7c and below 

Dunlop's tech guy said quote " we told the idiots in advertising that's not right anything below 12c then fit them as you will benefit "  he went on to say they are cold weather tyres but have the advantage of being good in the snow. First and foremost they are a cold weather tyre, shorter stopping distance 

Take care everyone 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hi......where does nitrogen gas fit into this ?

I was under the impression that tyres inflated with nitrogen gas provide a wider window.

Less affected by higher/lower ambient temperatures.

 Need to know what a new car's come with these days.

Barry Wright Lancashire.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Given many countries require them fitting by law from end of October I would go by that rule of thumb. I use all weather tyres, saves the hassle. 

Yup, 1st November used to be my rule of thumb. You can get through October OK on summer rubber, but one day in the next month or so you're likely to meet weather that warrants winters. If you try to go by temperature you are almost certain to leave it too late. Winters 1/11 - 1/5, summers 1/5 - 1/11 ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

Given many countries require them fitting by law from end of October I would go by that rule of thumb. I use all weather tyres, saves the hassle. 

That's a good idea, but be aware that not all "All weather" tyres are certified for snow conditions. They must have the 3PMSF logo (A mountain symbol with a snow flake in it). There's a snow tyre mandate for just about everywhere around where I live, mine are going on the car in a few days.

3PMSF.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Broadway One said:

Hi......where does nitrogen gas fit into this ?

You use it to inflate the tyres.... Ba Dum Tsh!

1 hour ago, Broadway One said:

I was under the impression that tyres inflated with nitrogen gas provide a wider window.

Less affected by higher/lower ambient temperatures.

When I looked at getting winter tyres some years back, the main arguments for them were about the tyre itself, the rubber compounds used for the winter tyres being designed to remain soft and flexible at lower temperatures to provide more grip when cold, combined with different tread patterns better designed to cope with winter conditions, snow, slush etc. The fill gas doesn't affect any of this.

I thought the trouble with running winter tyres in the UK is because they are pretty rare, we don't have the same support services you get in those countries where they are mandatory, like easy purchases of steel rims for the winter tyres, tyre garages offering storage services so you don't have stacks of wheels cluttering up your garage at home for most of the year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nitrogen gas is to reduce tyre pressure leakage.  Although the air is nominally 80% nitrogen the 100% nitrogen is used by some companies as an additional feature, Costco uses nitrogen fill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the old days the winter compounds were the only compound available so nearly all tyres ran all year long.  The only difference was the tyre pattern.

I like the look of the CrossClimate 2 tyres, the ones specified as the OEM tyre by Volvo 235/55 R19 would fit my PHEV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, marlinleg said:

When do you fit your winter tyres ?

Your thought please

Hello to everyone . 4/5 years ago I rang Dunlop tech department asking the question at what temperature to fit winter  tyres as there adverts were saying 7c and below 

Dunlop's tech guy said quote " we told the idiots in advertising that's not right anything below 12c then fit them as you will benefit "  he went on to say they are cold weather tyres but have the advantage of being good in the snow. First and foremost they are a cold weather tyre, shorter stopping distance 

Take care everyone 

i use to change tyres b mid of november at first ocasion

cheers \ Igor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership