Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shock Yaris news

Yugguy1970

The missus got into her 2021 Yaris today.  It had been standing for 2 weeks on the drive.

It started without any issues at all.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

:shocking: :jawdrop: :eek: OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!1!1!!1one!1!eleven11!1eleventyone!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

The missus got into her 2021 Yaris today.  It had been standing for 2 weeks on the drive.

It started without any issues at all.  😂

That's good to know, i've never left mine for more than 3 days before, i might now only leave it for 4 knowing that yours has started ok with no problems after a couple of weeks

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Once the winter frosts start it may make a difference. There wasn’t many grumbles about 12v going flat until COVID came about and vehicles not used as much, then the winter months of last winter exasperated the situation.  Keep the 12v Battery in good condition and I don’t think there will be many problems. Get to the end of November and in our house the CTEK will be in use bring our 12volters up to scratch.

• Like 3

We took delivery of our Corolla just as lock down started. It was not used at all for a couple of months.  Someone did our essential grocery runs and the car just sat there. At one point I did a map update in Accessory mode. About a week before the end we took it on a 100 mile trip (animal welfare).  No problems or Ready mode in that time - we didn't know. 

The problems started later in the year and the car was in 'normal' use with 15-20 minutes in to town and never much more. We used it in the traditional mode, switching off immediately on arrival.  In the following 8 months leading up to its first service we experienced flat Battery on 3 occasions. Only after the second failure did we find exactly the correct procedure. 

I believe our ignorance led to cell failure and subsequent Battery replacement. I think even Toyota UK were probably not really aware of the issues caused by lock down. 

If you use the right drills there should be no issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must be very lucky with my 5 year old Yaris Hybrid.  I do mainly short journeys and the car often sits unused for several days.  It has also survived 2 weeks in Gatwick airport car park without issues.  I have never had to charge the Battery and I just turn off the car as soon as I get to my destination, no special procedures!  I have invested in a jump start Battery which I keep in the glove box but have never had any need to use it.  It may be that parasitic Battery drain from dashcams or other accessories is causing problems for some.   Of course, having written this my battery will probably go flat tomorrow!

• Like 3

Highly Recommended many times on this forum……the CTEX MTS 5.0 Battery charger for AGM and standard wet batteries is on sale at Amazon for a limited time for £48.31.  Usually £68.41.                
Winter weather is on its way and this is a sure way of eliminating flat batteries.

• Like 3

The Battery is an AGM type inside the car, so should be less subjectible to the cold and issues that traditional lead acid cells suffer from

you should get 7-10 years from an AGM Battery

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The battery is an AGM type inside the car, so should be less subjectible to the cold and issues that traditional lead acid cells suffer from

you should get 7-10 years from an AGM battery

The Auris hybrid Battery (2010) is in the boot but the wife’s car Battery has gone down a few times, first time way before covid but it was7.5 years old and the cold got it. With a new one during covid plus cold weather it has gone couple times. That was before we got the CTEX.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 10:29 AM, Roy124 said:

We took delivery of our Corolla just as lock down started. It was not used at all for a couple of months.  Someone did our essential grocery runs and the car just sat there. At one point I did a map update in Accessory mode. About a week before the end we took it on a 100 mile trip (animal welfare).  No problems or Ready mode in that time - we didn't know. 

The problems started later in the year and the car was in 'normal' use with 15-20 minutes in to town and never much more. We used it in the traditional mode, switching off immediately on arrival.  In the following 8 months leading up to its first service we experienced flat battery on 3 occasions. Only after the second failure did we find exactly the correct procedure. 

I believe our ignorance led to cell failure and subsequent battery replacement. I think even Toyota UK were probably not really aware of the issues caused by lock down. 

If you use the right drills there should be no issues. 

Wait what is the correct procedure?! I shouldn't turn off immediately on arrival?

Only thing I know is that 1 hour per week on Ready mode if you don't move the car frequently. Is there something else I should be doing? 

20 hours ago, flash22 said:

The battery is an AGM type inside the car, so should be less subjectible to the cold and issues that traditional lead acid cells suffer from

you should get 7-10 years from an AGM battery

I think it depends on the Battery size. I've had my motorcycle from new and the original AGM Battery was totally dead after 8 years (flat within 5 minutes of coming off the charger), even though I always kept it on a CTEK maintenance charger while not in use. Just thought that might be relevant because the batteries in hybrids are on the smaller side for a car.

It doesn't need the cranking amps at start, is pulls <20 amps for a very short period of time max

• 2 years later...

I was surprised to leave mine in the garage for 17 days while I went to Australia. The hybrid Battery was the same as I left it before leaving the car in the garage.

This was back at the beginning of December when the weather wasn't too bad. (10 to 13 C outside temperature)

I have seen previous cases where people did the same, and the car didn't start after 2 weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, inteli7 said:

I was surprised to leave mine in the garage for 17 days while I went to Australia. The hybrid battery was the same as I left it before leaving the car in the garage.

You must have got one of the good ones with a decent Battery 😉 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

You must have got one of the good ones with a decent battery 😉 

Oh, sorry. I forgot that mine is a 2014 with 67% health left. Must have been lucky! 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links