Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water leak

Black Black

Hi can someone help me find a leak I have on the near side rear light on my 2014 yaris trend, I've tried pouing water down the side of the light we're the water drains down the side, but nothing comes in side the light cluster, but when it rains water drips down mostly on the hatch that you open for inspection, this is now driving me mad now anyone else had this problems thanks. 

Check the rubber grommet that house the cables, it can be found at the top of the tailgate next to one of the hinges, if this doesn't seal properly could cause this issue. Also check that the roof aerial seal for soundness.

OK Steve I'll check them tomorrow thanks.

Hi Steve thanks you were correct my antenna was quite loose, how do I go about tighten that down looks very awkward to get at, or should I go to local garage. 

It's fairly easy to do, from memory you remove the bolt that secures the center seat belt anchor (the access cover just clips off) then gently pull the headliner down just enough to get a spanner/ socket or adjustable wrench on the nut/bolt. You may need someone else to hold the aerial mount down as you tighten it but I think it can be done just from inside the vehicle. The bolt/nut sizes are probably 14mm knowing Toyota. It may also be worth checking that the seal has not perished or cracked. Good luck!

EDIT:

Just noticed you have a mk3, the above was from a mk2 but may just be the same, let us know how you get on and if you get stuck just post some pictures and we'll be able to help.

Hi Steve do you mean this section here can't see no way to open this compartment 

20211027_083228.jpg

Where the seat belt goes through, pop that cap off and there will be a big bolt you can then get the trim off with a trim tool

1360667428_xp130midrearbeltholder.jpg.283426c1e2038b20f57f77d6a08c49e8.jpg

OK Bob I'll try that tomorrow thanks. 

Hi I've tightened my antenna no water leaks there now checked both grommets above the boot no leaks there ,water still coming down both sides of the boot, this is a mistery now shall have to call in inspector barnaby I think .

Okay, now that you've ruled out those items, are you 100% sure the rear light cluster gaskets are not the culprit, admittedly you would more than likely only see water in the spare wheel well. Check the condition of the tailgate rubber seal for splits or deformities, another suspect area is the welded seam where the roof meets the tailgate, there are two, a left hand and also a right hand,( the seams also go from front to back along the roof both sides) visually inspect those areas especially if the vehicle has ever suffered an impact/ accident.

Another area to inspect would be: is the tailgate closing snuggly and evenly?

Please let us know how you get on one way or another, good luck Peter. 

Check the washer jet and pipe work behind the cover, only other thing is to check the roof rails you will have to remove the rear 1/4 interior trims to inspect it

Hi Bob and Steve yesterday I removed the rubber boot seal and wiped it down then I cleaned the area were seal goes,when I put it back I really tapped it very hard into place, well to my surprise this morning I checked it no leak and it rained heavy last night, have I done something here by removing and resetting the rubber let's hope so , will let you know if it leaks again thanks again for your help and advice. 

• Thanks 1

Great, let's hope that's solved it. Thanks for posting back (not very many do) this will help with future "I've got a leak" for the forum, thanks once again.