Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corolla - Query on Settings

SpenToy

Hi All

Picked up my new Corolla on Saturday and spent the weekend driving more than I normally would to get the feel of the car.  Love the drive, so smooth. An really enjoyable drive.

I have a question though - the manual states that if I hold the key fob lock button it will roll up any open windows - but dealer will have to set it up for me. Have asked and dealer will get it booked in for me.

The question though is, are there any other settings that you have found really useful, that I should be aware of or asked to be changed (that only the dealer can sort out)

Thanks

Spencer 

Cancellation of the door chime when the door is open and your are in accessory mode might be interesting. 

Down load the User Manual, it's over 600 pages and has such details. 

Ask the dealer what else is available or owners have requested 

• Like 1

i was wondering about the windows with mine, didn't realise you could activate it.

Does it cost anything with the dealer to alter anything?

48 minutes ago, dazayit said:

i was wondering about the windows with mine, didn't realise you could activate it.

It shouldn't do, mine will hopefully get done Thursday during it's first service.

I believe you can also get 'auto locking' for the doors as you drive away, sure I have read that somewhere on this forum? Again, will find out this Thursday.

I have changed auto lane-change flash signal from 3 flashes to 5, auto re-lock function from 30s to 60s and set that vents are closed to outside air when ignition is off.

Did it myself via obd and app.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tomv said:

set that vents are closed to outside air when ignition is off.

But not if you have a dog in the car 

You can do many changes to your car settings yourself by using an OBD device - such as Carista. Available for around £25 with a one moth licence - enough time to get your preferences sorted. Saves you the trouble of taking to the dealers. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris Nutt said:

You can do many changes to your car settings yourself by using an OBD device - such as Carista. Available for around £25 with a one moth licence - enough time to get your preferences sorted. Saves you the trouble of taking to the dealers. 

Will have to have a look at that. Would it invalidate the warranty if I do that myself? 

14 hours ago, Tomv said:

I have changed auto lane-change flash signal from 3 flashes to 5, auto re-lock function from 30s to 60s and set that vents are closed to outside air when ignition is off.

Did it myself via obd and app.

The signal flashes would be good. Did not realise they could be changed. More reading I think

16 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Cancellation of the door chime when the door is open and your are in accessory mode might be interesting. 

Down load the User Manual, it's over 600 pages and has such details. 

Ask the dealer what else is available or owners have requested 

Thanks. I'll get it booked in when sales person is back this week. As it is new hoping there will not be a cost. 

16 hours ago, dazayit said:

Will let you know once I get it booked in. Hoping no cost as it is new

6 minutes ago, SpenToy said:

Will have to have a look at that. Would it invalidate the warranty if I do that myself? 

I have never heard of it having any effect on the warranty. However one thing that you can't do is to activate auto locking on drive-off. That feature (for some totally unknown reason) is not available on the current Corolla - as discussed at length elsewhere on the Forum. (Unless anyone knows differently!!) It's one feature I would certainly like to have, having had it on all my recent cars (including two Avensis).

I changed the number of flashes up to 7. So one flick of the flasher arm gives a good number of flashes when turning or overtaking. I bought and used Carista but it was the only function I changed, so £20 to buy the unit was expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Nutt said:

I have never heard of it having any effect on the warranty. However one thing that you can't do is to activate auto locking on drive-off. That feature (for some totally unknown reason) is not available on the current Corolla - as discussed at length elsewhere on the Forum. (Unless anyone knows differently!!) It's one feature I would certainly like to have, having had it on all my recent cars (including two Avensis).

Yes, I read that thread and was sure someone said it was possible? Needless to say I cannot find the thread now :taz:

22 hours ago, SpenToy said:

Hi All

Picked up my new Corolla on Saturday and spent the weekend driving more than I normally would to get the feel of the car.  Love the drive, so smooth. An really enjoyable drive.

I have a question though - the manual states that if I hold the key fob lock button it will roll up any open windows - but dealer will have to set it up for me. Have asked and dealer will get it booked in for me.

The question though is, are there any other settings that you have found really useful, that I should be aware of or asked to be changed (that only the dealer can sort out)

Thanks

Spencer 

I ordered corolla design hybrid not delivery until Feb next year could i asking for its manual .Someone's told me i could use remote start the car but not sure this model can do it.

8 minutes ago, Minh Doan said:

I ordered corolla design hybrid not delivery until Feb next year could i asking for its manual .Someone's told me i could use remote start the car but not sure this model can do it.

Pretty sure not available in the UK ...

hmm very interested in trying this, does anyone have a list of configurable options or is it self explanatory?

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I changed the number of flashes up to 7. So one flick of the flasher arm gives a good number of flashes when turning or overtaking. I bought and used Carista but it was the only function I changed, so £20 to buy the unit was expensive.

Although, once I find out if there is a charge from the dealership, I can put that £20 in context - maybe cheap by comparison  🙂

• Like 1

Just depends what the dealer can do that Carista does not. And of course the £20 was to buy Carista unit, you get 1 month free then it is a charge afterwards monthly, forget what it is.  But yes, it will be interesting to know what the dealer charges, hope it is nothing.

My Mk4 just had its first service (over 9k miles and not even 7 months of ownership yet! :eek: ), and I asked them to turn on the option for the remote to open and close the windows - Was not charged for it!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My Mk4 just had its first service (over 9k miles and not even 7 months of ownership yet! :eek: ).

I was asking myself why so soon, but I have my units mixed up. Does that mean your usual annual mileage is around 17k miles?

8 hours ago, SpenToy said:

I don't think so. In worst case , you can change the setting back anytime you want.

• Like 1

I got total closure from fob done on mine for free by dealers. Mine has the sunroof aswel so that opens and closes. Only issue is you have to hold the fob button down until windows etc are fully open or fully closed. Otherwise you have it half open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TazUddin said:

I got total closure from fob done on mine for free by dealers. Mine has the sunroof aswel so that opens and closes. Only issue is you have to hold the fob button down until windows etc are fully open or fully closed. Otherwise you have it half open.

Haha yeah the garage apparently didn't realise that, and when the tech went to proudly demonstrate the function to me he thought it wasn't working properly when the windows kept stopping half-way :laugh: I had to explain that, no, the manual says you have to hold the button down until it's lowered/raised the desired amount, and so it was actually functioning as intended!

It's a bit depressing how little the service techs seem to know about their own cars sometimes, but to be fair they did say I was the first person who'd asked for this to be done, ah well...

4 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I was asking myself why so soon, but I have my units mixed up. Does that mean your usual annual mileage is around 17k miles?

On average it's between 14-15k a year - Mostly due to work travel, but also visiting friends and relatives who live annoyingly far away! Adds a good chunk to the insurance too as I also need business insurance on top of the extra declared miles.

I've also been hooning about a lot lately as the Mk4 is so much fun to drive (Much more fun than Forza! :naughty: ) - I had to stop doing that in the Mk2 as it was too gutless and thirsty to be any fun, so I guess I'm making up for lost time :laugh: 

I almost wish I lived up north as those northerners have got some amazing roads! :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Service completed yesterday and global open / shut activated .. no charge!

• Like 2