Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please

MsB

Hi Guys & Gals,

Newbie here :D

I'm looking to buy Mk1 MR2

Is there anything I should look out for and if see AVOID like the plague :blink:

Found a few nice looking ones but am just not sure wether they are as good as they look.

Is it woth getting one as a project ?

What costs may I be looking at for various things? e.g uprating discs, exhaust, paint job etc.

Sorry to fire so many questions at once :wacko:

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry just realised post is in wrong topic :unsure:

This is a forum, not a chat room. Your first message was at 12.08 and the second was at 12.09. Give people a chance! :ffs:

This is a forum, not a chat room. Your first message was at 12.08 and the second was at 12.09. Give people a chance! :ffs:

Sorry Earl

But they are actually a day apart :)

This is a forum, not a chat room.  Your first message was at 12.08 and the second was at 12.09.  Give people a chance!  :ffs:

Sorry Earl

But they are actually a day apart :)

:D :D :D

poor Earl

1st get to the imoc website where there are a couple of great buyers guides. Second look for everything you would normally do on any other car such as panels lining up, engine and chassy numbers etc - all the usual.

More specifically for Mk1's, the want to rust over the rear arches - so look for it. Focus on the rear wheel arches and down to under the rear bumper where the mud flaps attach. Front arches will go too if mucks allowed to collect under there so check inside the arches with your hands.

Now rust's not going to be fatal at any of these points, but if you can find an example which doesnt have any you're at a head start and it shows the car's been looked after. If you're looking at one that has rusted don't worry too much, it can be sorted simply use it as a bargaining tool.

Check the header tank for the cooling system (this is right hand side closest to the boot). The water should be mucky red/brown. If not then it's not got the right coolant in it - MR2's need toyota 4-life. Look for the standard oily residue round the cap and look for creamy residue round the oil cap - these show blown head gasket.

Miles aren't that great a worry on a MR2 - they go forever when properly looked after. On a Mk1 anything under 100k could be considered "low" mileage.

Simple way to tell early models from later models is the air intake behind the driver will have a vertical division at the mid point. The later models were a little tweaked and had an extra bhp or two. Front boot should still have it's plastic inserts covering the pipework. Hopefully also a tool kit and spair. Inside look for wear over the drivers seat. The first place to go will be the RH side where the driver roles in and out of the seat. This could indicate a higher mileage than the clock would sugest.

Fiddle with all the switches as normal. Check for structural rust in the door sils and t-bar if present. look for water or smoke in the exhaust. The boot is hopefully dry - check under the carpet for rust if it's not.

Er... I've run out of brain dump mode at the mo... others can probably continue - but check out the buyers guides that are already out there.

Thanks mr2mk1g

Thats answered all my queries, you are truly a star :D

Will now go a- searchin :thumbsup:

oh lovely response !

poor lass only asked a question, after slagging her off you could have given an answer :ffs:

or even apologised ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links