Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How strong should the boots struts be?

WinLoseOrBoth

My 06 Tsport boot will stay open when it's all the way up top, but I have to lift it the full way myself, it'll come crashing down given any excuse. How good were the struts when the car was new, it's a heavy tailgate so I imagine extra heavy duty struts would've been needed from Toyota? Has anyone put uprated ones in there, like from SGS?

My Mk2 had the same problem when I bought it - Boot struts are pressurised gas struts and they do leak slowly over time; Just get a new set and replace them, it's not too difficult and SGS provide videos that give the gist of how to do it.

Just make sure you have a friend to hold the boot lid up while you work on it - It's a lot heavier than you might think without support from the struts!! When I was replacing mine it looked like it was going to stay up on one strut after I removed the first one, but when I started fitting the new one it slowly started falling down and I had to hold it up with my head! :laugh: 

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

My Mk2 had the same problem when I bought it - Boot struts are pressurised gas struts and they do leak slowly over time; Just get a new set and replace them, it's not too difficult and SGS provide videos that give the gist of how to do it.

Just make sure you have a friend to hold the boot lid up while you work on it - It's a lot heavier than you might think without support from the struts!! When I was replacing mine it looked like it was going to stay up on one strut after I removed the first one, but when I started fitting the new one it slowly started falling down and I had to hold it up with my head! :laugh: 

Would that have been an occasion when two heads would been better then one?  🤓

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, WinLoseOrBoth said:

Has anyone put uprated ones in there, like from SGS?

Yes, and they represent good VFM.

Getting the old ones off can be a real PITA as Toyota used thread-lock at the factory, so some heat may well be required. I watched when mine were replaced, and it took three people. One with a spanner, one applying the heat, and another using a small heat shield to protect the paintwork.

Had struts replaced on a Mondeo as the boot wing was an extra that demands stronger struts. 

And an E Class at about 12 years old. 

You could manage on your own if you have a secure prop, a broom or two might do it. 

Cheers guys, yeah I had a Nissan 350z with a similar problem so I’ve done it before, SGS are the go to for struts 🙂

I didn't even unbolt the brackets on mine IIRC - Just pulled up the retaining clips for the ball-joints with a flathead and popped them off, then popped on the new ones, pushed the retaining clips down, done! (While balancing the bootlid on my head :laugh: )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links