Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Running in Reconditioned 2ZZ-GE Engine

JimmyAllan

Good morning hope everyone is well!

I have just recently fitted a reconditioned engine to my Corolla T Sport and am wondering if anyone has any information on how to run it in?

Ive read a lot of conflicting information however none of them talk about VVTLI engines. I think I get the basics of the general running in process however if anyone has any more information or things to look out for it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance. 

Moved to the Corolla club.

Can't imagine it would be different to any other combustion engine, as VVTi is just variable valve timing.

You want to vary your engine speed and load, but without taking the rpm too high or using full throttle - everything in moderation. Above all else, avoid long periods at a constant engine speed.

Keep a close eye on the oil level as consumption can sometimes be a bit higher during break-in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Can't imagine it would be different to any other combustion engine, as VVTi is just variable valve timing.

You want to vary your engine speed and load, but without taking the rpm too high or using full throttle - everything in moderation. Above all else, avoid long periods at a constant engine speed.

Keep a close eye on the oil level as consumption can sometimes be a bit higher during break-in.

In addition. Use the 'old' tried and tested methods i.e. limiting revs in each gear for the first several hundred miles, then incremental increases after that, no labouring or thrashing the engine, don't sit idling letting the engine warm up, switch it on and drive normally to get it up to temp quicker.  Change the oil and oil filter after 500 miles, flush, refill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links