Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 D4D, 2.0CC engine stuttering at 2,500 rpm

LeeDowner

Hello I was recently given a 2005 RAV4. 2.0 D4D. 120,000 miles.

It drives very nicely, plenty of pulling power and acceleration even when carrying fairly heavy loads.

However, when it gets to 2,500 - 3,000 rpm the engine stutters and no longer accelerates smoothly, the ride becomes very janky! I've never taken it beyond 3,000rpm.

On two occasions in the past 2 weeks the engine warning light will come on along with VSC and TRC lights. The car then enters limp mode and there's barely any power.

I pull over, turn off the engine and wait a minute, then start the engine again and it drives normally although the engine light stays on.

After some time driving normally the engine light goes off. I took it to my mechanic and he mentioned something about a step motor on his diagnostics computer but only said he would have to look into it.

I don't know if the two issues are related, I only have a basic knowledge of mechanics.

Any similar experiences here? Hopefully it's not too old. It's a very nice car and I hear good things about the D4D engine, 120,000 miles is nothing on this engine etc...

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Lee

What you're experiencing could be a number of things but here's a few I can think of:

1) The cheapest one to try is cleaning the MAF sensor that is on top of the air intake pipe. If your engine is not suppling the right air/fuel mix then it may go into limp mode. To clean this you need some contact cleaning spray, undo the two screws, pull the sensor out and give it a good spray. There is a youtube video on this.

2) When was your fuel filter last changed? If you don't know or it was a while back then that's another possible cause and cheapish to replace.

3) There is a possibility that your are experiencing over boost from your turbo and there are number of possible causes but I'd suggest you buy an OBD reader (£10-15) and app so you can monitor your boost pressure as your driving (and other things that may give a clue). You can also see what's causing your engine light to come on and reset it if you wish.

4) I have a feeling a blocked EGR could cause this so maybe you could look up the symptoms of that. Again these is a youtube video for cleaning this but it's a bit messy and fiddly so I'd consider the other options first.

Hope that helps a bit

On 10/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, LeeDowner said:

Hello I was recently given a 2005 RAV4. 2.0 D4D. 120,000 miles.

It drives very nicely, plenty of pulling power and acceleration even when carrying fairly heavy loads.

However, when it gets to 2,500 - 3,000 rpm the engine stutters and no longer accelerates smoothly, the ride becomes very janky! I've never taken it beyond 3,000rpm.

On two occasions in the past 2 weeks the engine warning light will come on along with VSC and TRC lights. The car then enters limp mode and there's barely any power.

I pull over, turn off the engine and wait a minute, then start the engine again and it drives normally although the engine light stays on.

After some time driving normally the engine light goes off. I took it to my mechanic and he mentioned something about a step motor on his diagnostics computer but only said he would have to look into it.

I don't know if the two issues are related, I only have a basic knowledge of mechanics.

Any similar experiences here? Hopefully it's not too old. It's a very nice car and I hear good things about the D4D engine, 120,000 miles is nothing on this engine etc...

Cheers, Lee.

inspect turbo vanes smooth rotation + vacuum attachment + ERG

if no extensive smoke then OK

cheers \ Igor

On 10/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, LeeDowner said:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links