Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota announces details of the bZ4X (29.10.21)

FROSTYBALLS

I like the idea of the lower bonnet.  Used to the long front on a Mercedes E Class I have yet to gauge the right stopping distance in parking lots.  The back then sticks out exactly like the Merc 😊

What existing class does the BZ relate to? 

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

What existing class does the BZ relate to? 

Extract from the Toyota newsroom announcement - "The bZ4X was developed on this basis, as a medium-segment SUV"

Looks interesting not sure I like the front black wings though and a decent electric range.

Interesting to see there are already improvements in the pipeline from the first models (increased charging wattage and drive by wire for Europe)

If drive by wire not available for Europe in release model doesn’t that mean a different front chassis to allow for the linkage from steering wheel to front wheels?

I would hope there's enough room - That thing looks massive! And it's only supposed to be 'medium'!!

The RAV4 and obviously the BZ are considered medium sized SUV based on a US definition.  The US always talks about the RAV as medium sized and I guess in comparison with some of the cars in the US it is!

10 hours ago, Malop said:

Interesting to see there are already improvements in the pipeline from the first models (increased charging wattage and drive by wire for Europe)

If drive by wire not available for Europe in release model doesn’t that mean a different front chassis to allow for the linkage from steering wheel to front wheels?

It is an interesting point you make, the  press release says:

Steer-by-wire system

The bZ4X will be the first production Toyota to offer a steer-by-wire system – One Motion Grip – due for introduction in Europe at a later date. Dispensing with the mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the front wheels, this electronic system adjusts the tyre angle precisely according to the driver’s intention, and provides more legroom, improving driving position freedom and ease of entry and exit. The traditional steering wheel is replaced with the One Motion Grip-control, making operation smoother and easier, with no need for hand-over-hand turning. Full-lock can be achieved with just a 150-degree turn.

With no physical connection in the system, unnecessary vibration from the tyres is blocked, but the driver still experiences valuable feedback, such as from the road surface. The steering feeling is improved through independent control of the steering torque; steering characteristics can be changed according to the drive mode selected.

I think the key word is “offer” drive by wire, maybe Toyota don’t want to commit fully to the new system so as not to loose customers who are sceptical. So it looks as though some cars will have a conventional steering set up.  I’d definitely like to try it to make my decision, but would be very interesting to see how it feels. Having it as an option is maybe a good choice to see how people react to it. I’m guessing it will be like  “Marmite” , love it or hate it. 

It seems that love it or hate it the drive by wire will be with us, it will be down to how each manufacturer managers to design and implement the package.

I think it will take a year or so for the design to settle, I’d love to drive it but not sure I’d pay for one until a few production lots have hit the public and an updated model is available.  So much of the text around this car release is ‘wait and see’, it will be interesting to see the price and just how many 150kW charging stations are going to be available when it goes up for sale?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

It seems that love it or hate it the drive by wire will be with us, it will be down to how each manufacturer managers to design and implement the package.

I think it will take a year or so for the design to settle, I’d love to drive it but not sure I’d pay for one until a few production lots have hit the public and an updated model is available.  So much of the text around this car release is ‘wait and see’, it will be interesting to see the price and just how many 150kW charging stations are going to be available when it goes up for sale?

Apparently the Chinese market will have it available from day 1, other markets later. It’s definitely an interesting idea and one I’m open minded towards, as you say early adopters will probably discover any issues with the system. I’m guessing it will be an option, or standard,  on one of the premium specifications in due course. 

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

I would hope there's enough room - That thing looks massive! And it's only supposed to be 'medium'!!

I think some of the size of BEVs is down to the size of the largest Battery packs which appear to dictate the wheelbase. I could happily live with something smaller (C-HR size) but I’d want the range and larger Battery pack so something this size will probably become the norm until Battery technology allows for longer range in a smaller unit. 

24 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

Apparently the Chinese market will have it available from day 1,

Toyota already has a (small) foothold in the Chinese EV market with the electric versions of the C-HR (C-HR and IZOA) - built by their two joint ventures with GAC and FAW. So presumably it makes sense to launch the bz4X there first.

image.thumb.png.e8236d6b12a75d29ec6bddc433221b56.pngimage.thumb.png.c0585f1e0cc6e6431dd0de1e72996a93.png

D4UiNtzWkAAsMWx.jpg_large

• Like 1

Who really buys an SUV and expects massive driver feedback?

A great deal of modern cars no longer have any physical connection between brake pedal and braking system and I don't think I've had a car with an actual throttle cable for about 25 years.

So why not steering?

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota already has a (small) foothold in the Chinese EV market with the electric versions of the C-HR (C-HR and IZOA) - built by their two joint ventures with GAC and FAW. So presumably it makes sense to launch the bz4X there first.

image.thumb.png.e8236d6b12a75d29ec6bddc433221b56.pngimage.thumb.png.c0585f1e0cc6e6431dd0de1e72996a93.png

D4UiNtzWkAAsMWx.jpg_large 338.54 kB · 0 downloads

A BEV C-HR would be nice if it had a decent range, 250ish miles, I’m sure Toyota will be bringing out smaller and larger models following the bZ4X 

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Who really buys an SUV and expects massive driver feedback?

A great deal of modern cars no longer have any physical connection between brake pedal and braking system and I don't think I've had a car with an actual throttle cable for about 25 years.

So why not steering?

If it works well I’m all for it, let’s hope Toyota don’t make it a very expensive “offering” 🤔

It’s certainly not going to be inexpensive if you look at comparable cars, size and range etc.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

It’s certainly not going to be inexpensive if you look at comparable cars, size and range etc.

As a guess I’d say base model around £45k going up to £55/60k for top range/spec. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ernieb said:

I´m a bit worried about delivery times in Europe. Feels a bit like Toyota first and foremost want to keep up the interest and hope among European Toyota fans that wait for an electic. Not sure the bZ4x realy are in the pipeline for massive delivery in Europe yet

The main delivery drive will certainly be in the US and Canada, they can often be best part of a year ahead of the EU spec'd car and the UK follows on.  The market in the US is huge for both Toyota and in fact Subaru who will be marketing essentially the same car.  In the US there are still large tax offset grants for PHEV's and EV's at both a Federal and State level, I've seen on US forums people reporting grants of over $10k making the cost lower than an HEV, sadly many will just fill up on 'gas' and never charge the Battery.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HSDish said:

I´m a bit worried about delivery times in Europe. Feels a bit like Toyota first and foremost want to keep up the interest and hope among European Toyota fans that wait for an electic. Not sure the bZ4x realy are in the pipeline for massive delivery in Europe yet

I read that you will probably be able to pre order online in a few months for delivery early 2022. Personally I won’t be looking to change for maybe 18 months and would definitely want to do a test drive before committing to buy. I’d also be wanting to try the steer by wire, if I’m ditching the ICE might as well try all the technology available.  The choice of BEVs will be massive in 2/3 years time with every manufacturer having multiple offerings. The Lexus version of the bZ4X will interesting to see too.  

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

The main delivery drive will certainly be in the US and Canada, they can often be best part of a year ahead of the EU spec'd car and the UK follows on.  The market in the US is huge for both Toyota and in fact Subaru who will be marketing essentially the same car.  In the US there are still large tax offset grants for PHEV's and EV's at both a Federal and State level, I've seen on US forums people reporting grants of over $10k making the cost lower than an HEV, sadly many will just fill up on 'gas' and never charge the battery.

The GR86 has been launched in the US and Canada a few months back so we’re going to be at least 6/12 behind on that one. 

On 11/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, Malop said:

Watching the video showing the “modular” construction maybe they have a different front subframes with conventional steering and steer by wire?