Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing the time in the car is not automatic

Luke717

43 minutes ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Me too. It's actually just THREE quick touches on the screen to change the time, for goodness sake, plus one more action to get back to the home screen or map. Hardly an arduous or lengthy task.

Maybe it's the shortening days making everyone a bit tetchy around here... 😂

We just think that computers should do what computers can do. They were invented to save us effort and to do things without bothering us, not to inflict us with yet-another-damn-thing-we-have-to-remember-to-do.

If you're happy to accept second-best when you buy expensive things then that's your choice. But if I pay over £30k for a car I don't expect to have to waste my time changing the clock twice a year. It's not just the effort, it's the likely possibility of forgetting it. Especially since almost every other time keeping device in my house manages the switch without me getting involved.

Where computers are concerned too many people accept second best from the industry. One day it might only be a clock that needs setting - the next day it will be a serious security failing.

• Like 4

I was surprised that my clock didn't change automatically when both cars I have owned in the last eight years changed themselves. I agree it is not hard to do when you know how, but I would have been totally stumped if it hadn't been for this forum.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AndrueC said:

We just think that computers should do what computers can do. They were invented to save us effort and to do things without bothering us, not to inflict us with yet-another-damn-thing-we-have-to-remember-to-do.

If you're happy to accept second-best when you buy expensive things then that's your choice. But if I pay over £30k for a car I don't expect to have to waste my time changing the clock twice a year. It's not just the effort, it's the likely possibility of forgetting it. Especially since almost every other time keeping device in my house manages the switch without me getting involved.

Where computers are concerned too many people accept second best from the industry. One day it might only be a clock that needs setting - the next day it will be a serious security failing.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect this to just work, as a connected car that collects all sorts of telemetry to give us handy stats about our hybrid driving score etc i don't understand why it can't just time sync with the internet/gps and make DST adjustments based on the date and car location, it's just a half baked solution at the moment!

Yes changing the time isn't the end of the world and is straight forward to do but this isn't rocket science. Hopefully in a couple of years Toyota will make the software changes in the next big Corolla update (not the iterative annual ones).

rant over 😄

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bewA said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect this to just work, as a connected car that collects all sorts of telemetry to give us handy stats about our hybrid driving score etc i don't understand why it can't just time sync with the internet/gps and make DST adjustments based on the date and car location, it's just a half baked solution at the moment!

Yes changing the time isn't the end of the world and is straight forward to do but this isn't rocket science. Hopefully in a couple of years Toyota will make the software changes in the next big Corolla update (not the iterative annual ones).

rant over 😄

Spot on - mundane actions like changing the clock time in your car to be accurate and correct twice a year should just work automatically and seamlessly. There may well be tech challenges to resolve but this is not rocket science.

I saw a report on a survey the other day on the top ten car brands and models in the UK considered by buyers to be top of the class when it comes to in-car connectivity and technology. Toyota, unfortunately, is not in this list https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/99679/driver-power-reveals-the-best-cars-for-comfort-tech-safety-economy-and-more/infotainment-connectivity-and-electrics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke717 said:

Spot on - mundane actions like changing the clock time in your car to be accurate and correct twice a year should just work automatically and seamlessly. There may well be tech challenges to resolve but this is not rocket science.

I saw a report on a survey the other day on the top ten car brands and models in the UK considered by buyers to be top of the class when it comes to in-car connectivity and technology. Toyota, unfortunately, is not in this list https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/99679/driver-power-reveals-the-best-cars-for-comfort-tech-safety-economy-and-more/infotainment-connectivity-and-electrics

Did you know that certain Sky+ tv boxes did not automatically go back an hour on Sunday night. Seems Sky won't have a fix for it untill this Thursday. So much for the 21st century. At least you can fix this yourself on a Toyota.

2 hours ago, bigblock said:

Did you know that certain Sky+ tv boxes did not automatically go back an hour on Sunday night. Seems Sky won't have a fix for it untill this Thursday. So much for the 21st century. At least you can fix this yourself on a Toyota.

Technically the boxes never do 'go back an hour' because they operate on UTC like all computers. This means that recordings will still be made correctly. It'll say it's recording the 10 O'clock news at 11 o'clock on the screen but internally the EPG data said it would start at 22:00 UTC whereas the previous week the start time was given as 2100 UTC 🙂.

It's a bit of a puzzler though. Most likely it's an issue with the locale information that the box uses to translate UTC to 'human times'. Locales do change and as the earlier link I posted shows it can be a complicated process to keep abreast of it. But the UK locale hasn't changed for a long time so it's odd that it should suddenly cause a problem.

• 6 months later...

Our 2021 Corolla dashboard clock is glitchy as can be. I have the settings correct, far as I can tell, and I turned off the automatic  'set by GPS' feature. But when we go on a long drive, it will reset itself, by an hour or even two hours, even if we haven't crossed into a different time zone.
Is there any possible way to get it to just stabilize? 

My old Astra did change automatically once a year (March) but in October would not - so had to manually adjust it.  That in itself was strange as it was set to adjust correctly.

Yes these things should work - but remember humans built these things so human error all the way - to be expected.

2 hours ago, Tech429 said:

My old Astra did change automatically once a year (March) but in October would not - so had to manually adjust it.  That in itself was strange as it was set to adjust correctly.

Yes these things should work - but remember humans built these things so human error all the way - to be expected.

Vauxhalls used RDS rather than GPS for the clock auto setup.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:36 PM, Paul Carlson said:

Our 2021 Corolla dashboard clock is glitchy as can be. I have the settings correct, far as I can tell, and I turned off the automatic  'set by GPS' feature. But when we go on a long drive, it will reset itself, by an hour or even two hours, even if we haven't crossed into a different time zone.
Is there any possible way to get it to just stabilize? 

Set by GPS should be On as it keeps the time accurate.  Also at this time of year Daylight Savings Time should be On.  That's the way it is in my car and I've never had a problem. When you switch it to On the clock may take a while to pick up a GPS signal and correct itself.   When the clocks go back in the autumn switch DST to Off and the clock will drop back by an hour to show the correct time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links