Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Burrows Rotherham

Steven83

Hi guys bought my auris from here, just be careful if dealing with the dealership.

I bought my car on 12th oct last month as a used approved.

there was 1 issue with the heated seat I pointed out on the test drive, they said they would investigate and sort it before I picked it up.

on pick up they said they investigated and it was fine.

driving it away I noticed it was still and issue but decided to go to my local dealer and use warranty. In the mean time I found the issue with the front blower which I’ve already talked about on the forum.

so there is 2 issues instantly on a ‘used approved’ car… the heated seat they seemingly couldn’t fathom.

once in at Stockport they diagnosed both issues instantly but wanted to charge me as I had no warranty.

I got in the phone to Burrows who assured me I do, the lady said she would call Stockport on my behalf and sort it then get back to me.

hours passed and nothing so I phoned again. In the words of the man that answered “she isn’t here and I don’t know where she has gone” so he looked into it for me and said “hmm that’s strange, you have 2 activie warranties, one from months ago and one just activated today, I’ll get her to call you back”.

hours pass and nothing so I phone again. She speaks with me but with what I can only describe and an **** of an attitude and says she will speak to Stockport and get back to me. This was weeks ago and I never heard from them.

I decided to deal with Stockport myself and they agreed to hold back any charges and appeal to the warranty for me.

they had to go through certain checks which has taken a while, today they got back to me.

”sorry Steven but it seems the warranty was only activated on the 21st and you brought the car to us and we created the job on the 18th so the warranty company say the problem came before the warranty, you will have to chase this up with burrows Rotherham”.

so I bought the car on the 16th,

had the issues diagnosed on the 18th but burrows only activated the warranty on the 21st which was the day I was phoning them asking what’s going on.

my 2 week finance cool off period is over now or the car would be going back. 

also the guy at Stockport said their could be further issues as the warranty should only start when the car has been checked over and the condition signed off. 

• Sad 1

When did you buy the car - 12th or 16th??

Think you need to find out the name of the Dealer Principal for Rotherham and write to them.

Also under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have longer than 14 days in which to have a repair or replacement, etc. See: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steven, I have been following your problem and feel sorry for you. I think you need to work fast to get this sorted, and if it’s going no where with Burrows Rotherham very soon I would reject the car. Get it touch with Trading Standards, completely lax of Burrows. Whatever, don delay, keep a record of everything you doing times, dates, persons contacted etc. keep us informed on the forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Joe and feel sorry for you too. I personally went through similar experience with two separate Toyota main dealers and shame really they are selling Toyota products so poorly, bad image for the name Toyota. Approved cars these days are by no mean any better than any other used car bought from eBay, Facebook, gumtree and similar, or car auction sites like bca or copart, then why we should be charged dealers prices for getting rubbish cars?! If it’s me I will reject the car and will drive back and throw the key at them . The real problem with abused cars like that one is that once the problem starts they will be endless and can only get worse but not better. My golden rule is ., if you find one problem, keep looking for a second one and if you find a second issue just walk away as there will be more issues hidden and waiting for you as bad surprise. +1 for returning that car 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the replies. Here is the timeline 

9th oct - purchased

16th oct - collected 

18th oct - took it to RRG Stockport 

21st oct - contacted burrows to ask why no warranty, seems they then went ahead an activated it on that day.

1st nov - RRG Stockport contacted me to say work not covered under warranty as the warranty started (21st) after the the problems diagnosed (18th)

I really would like to take it back and start again. 

however i work shifts and can’t be without a car.

also my first finance payment came out today and I would not have a clue how to go about cancelling that now, or how much I would lose or even if it would effect my credit rating. 

the car has only done 30k miles and looks tidy, just a shame this has happened. 

from day 1 I felt burrows were sloppy and I wish I’d listened to my instinct, but having known the reputation of Toyota I presumed I was being paranoid. 

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

When did you buy the car - 12th or 16th??

Think you need to find out the name of the Dealer Principal for Rotherham and write to them.

Also under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have longer than 14 days in which to have a repair or replacement, etc. See: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

I have been trying to get the DP’s details, I have emailed the salesman and the sales manager requesting it. 

What are the odds that more problems like this will pop up under the Toyota Service Warantee.

Mine was first sold by the same dealer and there are clues that it is'nt pristine tho it looks it and runs like clockwork.

So what you dont know cant hurt you.

Seems its still owned and run by a Steve Burrows, you can see quiet a bit info about him on the web and Facebook etc, though not sure which address is best to directly contact him  as he has many dealerships, seems FB is the modern way to get attention ??

000886.jpg

000887.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven83 said:

also my first finance payment came out today and I would not have a clue how to go about cancelling that now, or how much I would lose or even if it would effect my credit rating. 

It might be worth having a word with your bank, explain what has happening and it is ongoing, maybe they could give good advice.

Wow that's totally different to my experience with Burrows Sheffield.  I've been a customer with them for 15 years on and off and they've been brilliant.  

I hope you get everything sorted and lots of excellent advice above.

Thanks for the support guys.

I live in Stockport so Rotherham is over 1.5 hours from me.

I imagine today I will get a response from them and it will likely be them offering to do the work.

this will of course mean me driving to them to drop off the car, returning home and then once the car has had the work completed I will have to repeat that journey.

it will be around 7 hours of driving in total, so that is 7 hours or my time and fuel.

would you guy be demanding some type of compensation? Obviously if they had done their job properly this wouldn’t of needed to happen. 

they had 2 chances to do a good job and failed.

1, they should of checked the car over properly before retailing it.

2, they should of activated the warranty on day one.

the salesman that dealt with me (warren) was going to send me on my way without giving me the green slip from the V5 he ‘forgot’ and I had to remind him. 

my experience of this place is its run by a bunch of 🤡 but maybe I just caught them on a bad week.

with Covid effecting things like it did you would think dealerships would treasure having customers at the moment and treat them like royalty 🤷‍♂️

Had the similar issue with Rotherham when I bought the Prius years ago (loud noise from front brakes while driving for a while), was promised all will be fixed, but it was not.  RRG Stockport fixed it (I had to pay as it was not a warranty issue), but in the end Rotherham gave me the money back, as RRG gave me a fault report to show the issue was there before we got the car. Regarding warranty, it should be activated when you bought the car. Tell Rotherham firmly, but politely, that you have no time to drive to them, so they can fix the warranty activation with Toyota, pay RRG to fix the issue or collect a car them self. Failing that, log a complaint against the dealer with Toyota. Looks like nothing changed at Rotherham, Doncaster is very good on the other hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rav4ster said:

Had the similar issue with Rotherham when I bought the Prius years ago (loud noise from front brakes while driving for a while), was promised all will be fixed, but it was not.  RRG Stockport fixed it (I had to pay as it was not a warranty issue), but in the end Rotherham gave me the money back, as RRG gave me a fault report to show the issue was there before we got the car. Regarding warranty, it should be activated when you bought the car. Tell Rotherham firmly, but politely, that you have no time to drive to them, so they can fix the warranty activation with Toyota, pay RRG to fix the issue or collect a car them self. Failing that, log a complaint against the dealer with Toyota. Looks like nothing changed at Rotherham, Doncaster is very good on the other hand.

Thanks for that info.

the problem is if Rotherham said get the work done at Stockport and we’ll cover the bill, I’m not even sure if I would trust them to do that. 

so far I have lost my confidence in their ability or desire to do the right thing.

does anyone here know contact details of head office or Steve burrows? 

whenever you look for an email on the Toyota website it just gives you a ‘send a message to us via this portal and we’ll get back to you’ type thing. 

i haven’t heard back from Rotherham yet after I sent the email yesterday, I’m surprised really, I sent it to 2 members of staff so they are either now trying to cover their tracks or burying their heads. 

Quick update.

The service manager Danielle called me this morning. 

She is taking it very seriously and has cc’d my email ti Rebecca burrows who she will also meet with tomorrow to get to the bottom of it.

I explained that it is evident someone had forgotten to activate the warranty and it was only activated 5 days after me driving the car away.

I also explained that faults I had pointed out were not resolved before collecting the car.

I expressed that it has caused me stress and taken time I don’t have to chase this up.

she apologised, agreed that someone at Rotherham has messed up and assured me they will get to the bottom of it tomorrow. 

she was apologetic and wanted to make it clear that she is there to take the stress away and make sure this is resolved ASAP.

interestingly once I had explained about someone at the dealership not doing their job properly and activating the warranty late she said something along the lines of - thanks for telling me that Steven, it means more than you realise to hear that.

maybe someone’s head may be about to roll?! 

• Like 1

Another update.

burrows Rotherham are collecting my car this week and leaving me a courtesy car. They will then drop it back of once the work is complete.

I expressed my lack of confidence in the techs at burrows because the told me the seat heaters were fine and she said she will put her most experienced tech on the job. 

Danielle the service manager has definitely done her best to put matters right to be fair. 

I just hope they find the route course of these issue in the dealership and put an end to them so no one else has to go through the bother I have. 

hopefully the car will come back working perfectly after this and I will have no more cause for complaint 😆

thanks once again for all the advice. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Another update.

burrows Rotherham are collecting my car this week and leaving me a courtesy car. They will then drop it back of once the work is complete.

I expressed my lack of confidence in the techs at burrows because the told me the seat heaters were fine and she said she will put her most experienced tech on the job. 

Danielle the service manager has definitely done her best to put matters right to be fair. 

I just hope they find the route course of these issue in the dealership and put an end to them so no one else has to go through the bother I have. 

hopefully the car will come back working perfectly after this and I will have no more cause for complaint 😆

thanks once again for all the advice. 

Good, 

give them a chance and see what happens. I did so with one of my similar cases and we returned the car to the dealer for the undone work worth £1000 and they did it after a week time, plus courtesy car of course and on top of that they provided an additional 5 year warranty + the warranty from the manufacturer. It was a hassle but turned in our favour at the end so hopefully will be similar for you. 👍

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Good, 

give them a chance and see what happens. I did so with one of my similar cases and we returned the car to the dealer for the undone work worth £1000 and they did it after a week time, plus courtesy car of course and on top of that they provided an additional 5 year warranty + the warranty from the manufacturer. It was a hassle but turned in our favour at the end so hopefully will be similar for you. 👍

Thanks Tony 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Well, certainly you got a positive reaction. I hope Burrows carries through what they have said. Well done so far Steve.

• Like 1

Well done! I found that is a good tactic too - Find someone higher up the chain and make it their problem :laugh: 

Been banging my head against the wall with Jemca since I bought my Mk4, but gave up with the dealer and logged a complaint with their HQ - Amazing how quickly something that had taken near 7-months of un-returned calls and e-mails was suddenly actioned! It clearly helps when it's the head office having to deal with a dealership who don't pick up the phone, return calls or answer their e-mails :laugh:

The garage still buggered it up by ordering the wrong part, but at least things are moving!

On 11/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, Steven83 said:

Hi guys bought my auris from here, just be careful if dealing with the dealership.

I bought my car on 12th oct last month as a used approved.

there was 1 issue with the heated seat I pointed out on the test drive, they said they would investigate and sort it before I picked it up.

on pick up they said they investigated and it was fine.

driving it away I noticed it was still and issue but decided to go to my local dealer and use warranty. In the mean time I found the issue with the front blower which I’ve already talked about on the forum.

so there is 2 issues instantly on a ‘used approved’ car… the heated seat they seemingly couldn’t fathom.

once in at Stockport they diagnosed both issues instantly but wanted to charge me as I had no warranty.

I got in the phone to Burrows who assured me I do, the lady said she would call Stockport on my behalf and sort it then get back to me.

hours passed and nothing so I phoned again. In the words of the man that answered “she isn’t here and I don’t know where she has gone” so he looked into it for me and said “hmm that’s strange, you have 2 activie warranties, one from months ago and one just activated today, I’ll get her to call you back”.

hours pass and nothing so I phone again. She speaks with me but with what I can only describe and an **** of an attitude and says she will speak to Stockport and get back to me. This was weeks ago and I never heard from them.

I decided to deal with Stockport myself and they agreed to hold back any charges and appeal to the warranty for me.

they had to go through certain checks which has taken a while, today they got back to me.

”sorry Steven but it seems the warranty was only activated on the 21st and you brought the car to us and we created the job on the 18th so the warranty company say the problem came before the warranty, you will have to chase this up with burrows Rotherham”.

so I bought the car on the 16th,

had the issues diagnosed on the 18th but burrows only activated the warranty on the 21st which was the day I was phoning them asking what’s going on.

my 2 week finance cool off period is over now or the car would be going back. 

also the guy at Stockport said their could be further issues as the warranty should only start when the car has been checked over and the condition signed off. 

hello,

did you buy your car on the 12th or 16th? I wanted to add so sorry for this, hope you have it sorted out? what did they say after they examined your car? did they give you any feedback on what is wrong or what to do?

21 hours ago, Steven83 said:

most experienced tech on the job. 

:laugh: That would really inspire me with confidence. When my Yaris had it's last main dealer service at almost 5 years old their "Master Technician" checked and confirmed a rear main seal oil leak on the engine which would cost £700+ to renew! When I pointed out the car was still within it's 5 years warranty (by three weeks) and should be covered, the "leak" suddenly became anticorrosion overspray from when I had applied some.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, Cyker said:

Well done! I found that is a good tactic too - Find someone higher up the chain and make it their problem :laugh: 

Been banging my head against the wall with Jemca since I bought my Mk4, but gave up with the dealer and logged a complaint with their HQ - Amazing how quickly something that had taken near 7-months of un-returned calls and e-mails was suddenly actioned! It clearly helps when it's the head office having to deal with a dealership who don't pick up the phone, return calls or answer their e-mails :laugh:

The garage still buggered it up by ordering the wrong part, but at least things are moving!

I need to contact Jemca HQ - can you please post it or message me their contact details? I ordered a back box from Jemca Edgware over six months ago but I am not getting anywhere. Toyota Customer service is pretty useless as well. They just refer me back to the dealer who they say will contact me but never does. Every time I contact them, the date keeps moving. Now they say, they don’t know at all! 

Yeah I used to try cr@toyota.co.uk but they aren't super helpful, lots of boiler plate replies and have trouble understanding mildly taxing questions.

I found Jemca's main customer services e-mail to be a lot more helpful: customerservices@jemca.co.uk

It seems staffed with people who take customer services more seriously than the main dealers, and one lady even seemed more knowledgeable than the service techs I've spoken to! Good luck!

19 hours ago, Excel777 said:

I need to contact Jemca HQ - can you please post it or message me their contact details? I ordered a back box from Jemca Edgware over six months ago but I am not getting anywhere. Toyota Customer service is pretty useless as well. They just refer me back to the dealer who they say will contact me but never does. Every time I contact them, the date keeps moving. Now they say, they don’t know at all! 

I had my car serviced at a local Jemca Enfild this year, and found their service was so bad, and people there was helpless. and will never use Jemca again. I used to have my car service at  the Hills of Woodford Toyota dealership which is 10 miles away from my house,  the service there was much better than Jemca Enfield, they were very friendly when I needed help. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links