Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MY22 RAV4 update issued

Devon Aygo

13 minutes ago, philip42h said:

For now, I suspect that you'll just have to ask your dealer. Neither the online brochure nor the website have been updated for the Adventure trim. Note that, in effect, the Adventure trim replaces the Black Edition from last year and both are likely variations on the Dynamic. The Dynamic has the dynamic styling; the Excel has the extra toys ... I'd expect the details available via the website will be updated pretty soon! 🙂

Toyota certainly aren't making it easy to chose their car over the Tucson. With the Tucson I can just pick the Ultimate spec PHEV and not worry about missing features. I've asked my dealership, so fingers crossed they can tell me what the spec of the Adventure is like. Thanks for your help Philip.

11 minutes ago, AnApeNamedJoe said:

Toyota certainly aren't making it easy to chose their car over the Tucson. With the Tucson I can just pick the Ultimate spec PHEV and not worry about missing features. I've asked my dealership, so fingers crossed they can tell me what the spec of the Adventure is like. Thanks for your help Philip.

The Toyota price list has it listed but not much info price is £39,800.00 and has side steps, Panoramic Roof and Metallic paint shown as standard.

• Like 1

The reasons in the end we went for the RAV4 over Tucson are the higher towing weight limit, additional power was a close second factor and much longer EV only capability. The Tucson has much much better infotainment and is cheaper. 

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

For now, I suspect that you'll just have to ask your dealer. Neither the online brochure nor the website have been updated for the Adventure trim. Note that, in effect, the Adventure trim replaces the Black Edition from last year and both are likely variations on the Dynamic. The Dynamic has the dynamic styling; the Excel has the extra toys ... I'd expect the details available via the website will be updated pretty soon! 🙂

I've just had confirmation that the Panoramic View Monitor, heated steering wheel and ventilated seats are not available on the Adventure. Looks like I'm probably going with the Tucson if my test drive goes well this weekend. Hugely disappointed I can't get a fully kitted out RAV4 PHEV like you can in the states.

34 minutes ago, AnApeNamedJoe said:

I've just had confirmation that the Panoramic View Monitor, heated steering wheel and ventilated seats are not available on the Adventure. Looks like I'm probably going with the Tucson if my test drive goes well this weekend. Hugely disappointed I can't get a fully kitted out RAV4 PHEV like you can in the states.

There are lots of people on the forum who share you frustration but I think all would say this is still a great car to own and drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

There are lots of people on the forum who share you frustration but I think all would say this is still a great car to own and drive.

I'm sure it is a great car and I greatly enjoyed my test drive, but I live high up in the hills and need a heated steering wheel or my hands end up frozen to the !Removed! thing. I also don't want to spend a great deal more for a car only to get a compromised version of it, when a well specified cheaper alternative is available. It'll be easier to just throw some CrossClimate 2's on a Tucson. Maybe the next version of the RAV4 will less compromised.

4 minutes ago, AnApeNamedJoe said:

I'm sure it is a great car and I greatly enjoyed my test drive, but I live high up in the hills and need a heated steering wheel or my hands end up frozen to the !Removed! thing. I also don't want to spend a great deal more for a car only to get a compromised version of it, when a well specified cheaper alternative is available. It'll be easier to just throw some CrossClimate 2's on a Tucson. Maybe the next version of the RAV4 will less compromised.

Yep, I can appreciate your comments and the CrossClimate are a great tyre. 

5 hours ago, AnApeNamedJoe said:

Toyota need to hear more of this. Their offerings appear either arrogant or naive in the face of other manufacturer's willingness to satisfy their customer needs.

I understand the PHEV and HEV are different models but it beggars belief that the most expensive RAV4 is denied spec. available on less expensive models. Truly bizarre.

On my 4.4 I really missed not having a Heated Front Screen (as my previous 2 cars) but the pre-heating of the PHEV overcomes this nicely.

Despite some shortcomings it is still a superb car - otherwise I wouldn't have bought a second (and this is only the second time I have repeated a model - with my own hard-earned).

• Like 2

We are used to having to compromise as consumers whether we are buying a car or a new TV. Some models will have features another won't but might miss features that the other has. We just have to make a balanced choice in the end. I tend to look at what I need all the time versus the luxuries I'd use occasionally. The Tucson (I really do like the look of the front end) and the MG have better looking and more tech but both have less EV range and a 1.6L engine which many reviews comment are woefully under powered. I've had heated windscreens, heated seats, heated steering wheels, etc., And they are great but I maybe used them a dozen times a year whereas I drive the car almost every day.

If you really suffer with cold hands and this is a deal breaker, that's understandable but don't dismiss this great car otherwise. In this recent cold snap, I've found the preconditioning means I haven't missed any of the "missing" heated options and haven't used the heated seats yet (I'll be surprised if I use the rear heated seats more than twice in 3 years!)

I do agree though that having consumer choice would be nice but that's more like the approach the German brands tend to take that give a fairly basic spec and you pay the additional for every other thing you want, but at least you can have.

Agree with much of the above/previous post. The MG HS PHEV interior is very plush looking and a great dashboard design (Porsche meets Mercedes) but the infotainment is so slow to the point of being dangerous. The leather is cheap and in ICE mode underpowered (albeit very quick combined) and it is FWD, no AWD option. The Tucson is the best looking and the Hyundai/Kia infotainment is considered one of the best on the market by a country mile. Not convinced the interior is all that robust and the low towing limit of the PHEV killed it for me. The RAV does however a simple infotainment system that has buttons and knobs for heating etc. Much safer. The real world mpg (and probable longevity) of a large capacity long stroke ICE also beats the laboratory mpg of a stressed turbo’d small capacity unit. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, philip42h said:

When last I looked, no it wasn't - if you want those particular toys you'll need an HEV in Excel trim (for the heated steering wheel) and possibly the Premium pack for the PVM. But best look at the detail in the published specs to see what is available in each model / trim level.

Note that the HEV and the PHEV are different models - they are not simply different engine options ...

Forgive me I may be wrong, but as far as I know the brochure says that when moving from the starter model PHEV, each model is the same but increases in fuctions as you move onto the top model the Dynamic Premium ?

1 hour ago, George baker said:

Forgive me I may be wrong, but as far as I know the brochure says that when moving from the starter model PHEV, each model is the same but increases in fuctions as you move onto the top model the Dynamic Premium ?

I think you may be confusing model and grade ? The RAV4 Hybrid (HEV) and The RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) are different models.

The PHEV is available in three grades - Design, Dynamic and Dynamic Premium and, as you suggest, equipment etc. is simply additive from grade to grade.

The HEV is available in five grades - Icon, Design, Excel, Dynamic and Adventure where:

• The Design is Icon +
  • The Excel is Design + (mostly equipment extras)
  • The Dynamic is Design + (mostly style extras)
  • The Adventure is Dynamic + ('adventure' styling) ... I think

For those of us that prefer substance over style, the Excel is the "top of the range" HEV (or at least the best equipped).

• Thanks 1

Well said Phillip, I was just composing similar response when yours popped up. Somewhere deep in Toyota UK marketing department there will no doubt be some weird logical to them explanation why PVM and other options are not available on UK PHEV’s when it is on the continent and on UK HEV’s. 

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

I think you may be confusing model and grade ? The RAV4 Hybrid (HEV) and The RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) are different models.

The PHEV is available in three grades - Design, Dynamic and Dynamic Premium and, as you suggest, equipment etc. is simply additive from grade to grade.

The HEV is available in five grades - Icon, Design, Excel, Dynamic and Adventure where:

• The Design is Icon +

For those of us that prefer substance over style, the Excel is the "top of the range" HEV (or at least the best equipped).

Hi. I was looking at the PHEV only as have just ordered the Dynamic Premium. I probably didn’t explain very well sorry. Your explanation is the most comprehensive, thank you. 

Edited by George baker
Add text to sound more polite

On 12/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, philip42h said:

• The Design is Icon +

It's a huge shame Toyota don't produce an Excel spec PHEV, or just make Dynamic Premium the same as the US XSE. It makes no sense having to go HEV to get the best spec. Oh well maybe the next RAV4 will be better, unless it's replaced by the new bZ4x.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, Yam16 said:

There's some information on  mag.toyota.co.uk

Main article is about the Adventure model, but further on, some questions from buyers and answers from Toyota UK. Some answers state that MY2021 final production month is November. There's other info on buyers checking with their dealers re. stock numbers issued or not to derermine if their order is MY2021 or MY2022. Has anyone tried that with their dealer?

My dealer has already told me that my order (late September) will be MY2022 model. 

I emailed my dealer last week about it but no reply. 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, philip42h said:

• The Design is Icon +

I really miss when the standard grades were just T2, T3, T4, T-Spirit :laugh: 

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I really miss when the standard grades were just T2, T3, T4, T-Spirit :laugh: 

Then you have to add in T-Sport, and Colour Collection.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if 2022 spec RAV4 Excel's booth seats will be power adjustable ? No big deal for me but wife might complain every time she is in the passenger seat. I want quiet time in the car..

29 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

They are. 

Thank you, Thats what I thought but Toyota's announcement is not very clear for 2022 specs

31 minutes ago, Malcdee said:

Does anybody know for sure when the MY22 production started?

One of the Toyota web page said the final production month for the Model Year 2021 RAV4 was November.

However from this and elsewhere customers are (unsurprisingly) getting told different information by their dealers about 2022 spec build start dates. However the 22MY spec for the HEV’s does seem clear to me so puzzled by some of the comments. 2022 PHEV’ spec is easy too - same as 2021.