Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris losses gears in heavy traffic.

Steve partridge leeds

Hi

I recently purchased a second hand Yaris 1ltr 2004 with a MMT semi auto box.

Had a trip to Blackpool and twice during the trip I lost all drive while in heavy traffic (usual stop start stuff on motorway junction, slowed down to a stop and  cog light came on dash and had no gear selection display)

Cruised to hard shoulder and switched off, waiting 1 minute and restarted and drove fine again for about 30 mins and did it again.

Then had a full drive through to destination and back home to Leeds without issue. (No more stop starts).

Have also noticed high revs before gear changes.

I'm not a mechanic or car tech savvy, just trying to find out the problem before hitting the garages.

Cheers guys 

Edited by Steve partridge leeds

1 minute ago, Steve partridge leeds said:

Hi

I recently purchased a second hand Yaris 1ltr 2004 with a MMT semi auto box.

Had a trip to Blackpool and twice during the trip I lost all drive while in heavy traffic (usual stop start stuff on motorway junction, slowed down to a stop and  cog light came on dash and had no gear selection display)

Cruised to hard shoulder and switched off, waiting 1 minute and restarted and drove fine again for about 30 mins and did it again.

Then had a full drive through to destination and back home to Leeds without issue. (No more stop starts).

Have also noticed high revs before gear changes.

I'm not a mechanic or car tech savvy, just trying to find out the problem before hitting the garages.

Cheers guys 

If you bought from a dealer recently, then take it back and tell him to fix it at his cost.

That is your right under Consumer Protection Legislation.

The MMT transmission is notorious for its unreliability.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/

• Like 1

Yeah, what he said. MMT problems are common as the car ages - Been seeing similar posts since I first joined this forum!

Get the seller to fix it or give you a refund.

Probably just needs a new clutch, maybe the actuator, but you don't want to deal with that as it's a pain in the proverbials - By law it's the dealer's problem anyway, so get them to sort it out, otherwise you're entitled to a full refund within 6 months of purchase if they can't or won't fix it.

Do you think a dealer would sell a fourteen-year-old car and if they did they'd willingly pay to repair an MMT fault? I suspect the OP bought it privately from someone who got rid because it was displaying expensive problems.

OP didn't mention it, and there are dealers which specialize in that sort of thing, so wouldn't presume to guess.

It's a bit of a grey area if it was bought privately, as if they didn't disclose the fault when selling, it's been mis-sold, so although private sales aren't subject to the same level of protection as dealer sales you would have a good case to get your money back, but it would likely have to go through a court.

Yeah sorry about that, should have mentioned a private sale, no chance to return or repair, sold as seen. 

However this doesn't mean you give up on these things altogether straightaway.

If its fixable I have a tendency to try and get it done so will try.

It only has 44000 on the clock and seems to be the only problem. 

And only does it in heavy traffic when coming to a stop.

After reading some posts on these forums I haven't come across this particular problem and was wondering if anyone else had?. 

9 hours ago, Steve partridge leeds said:

Yeah sorry about that, should have mentioned a private sale, no chance to return or repair, sold as seen. 

However this doesn't mean you give up on these things altogether straightaway.

If its fixable I have a tendency to try and get it done so will try.

It only has 44000 on the clock and seems to be the only problem. 

And only does it in heavy traffic when coming to a stop.

After reading some posts on these forums I haven't come across this particular problem and was wondering if anyone else had?. 

Search internet for a local Toyota Indie Steve.

• Thanks 1

The cog is an overheat warning, treat the MMT as a manual drop into N, handbrake on, if stopped for 30 sec's or more, if left in gear with your foot on the brake it's like riding a clutch - the clutch gets hot

I don't think you have an issue tbh - does the car creep ?

Hi flash 22.

Yes the car creeps, I recently did a clutch and ecu initiation, prior to this it was very jerky in forward and reverse but, is now OK 

Thanks for the info and that you don't think there is a problem, however the issue occurred even traveling at the slowest speed and loss of gear was when coming to a stop before I got a chance to put into N and put hand brake on.

Think a mechanic with the toyota software to give a better indication as to the issue may help.

Will post back with any info gleaned. 

When the car is creeping in 1st it slips the clutch so therefore overheats. In heavy stop-start traffic It’s best to wait for a big-ish gap then press the accelerator. Also try putting it into gear ‘1’ if it keeps trying to change to 2nd and this will also reduce pressure on the clutch. I know this makes for somewhat jerky progress but helps keep the clutch cool.

Having your handbrake or footbrake on in D I believe disengages the clutch.

5 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

Having your handbrake or footbrake on in D I believe disengages the clutch.

From what I remember, having briefly owned one of these aberrations, yes it does (or should).

3 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

From what I remember, having briefly owned one of these aberrations, yes it does (or should).

When I had an Aygo a few years I did a little experiment. I parked on a slight hill, put the car into D and pull the handbrake slightly till the dashboard light came on and the car rolled back. Moving the handbrake down so the light went off and the car started to creep forward.

I found the same with the footbrake though it’s harder to replicate.