Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric front drivers seat adjustment

frazthewise

Whilst watching a foreign Corolla review, noticed the following ' The drivers seat can be adjusted electrically'. If that is the case, a real shame it is not offered in the UK?.

Some other markets has much nicer interiors of Corolla and even GR sport in saloon variant with 2.0 hybrid, and better instrument cluster, no surprise if they offer electric driver seats. 

• Thanks 1

Electric seat adjustment - that's a luxury.

We can't even get safety stuff like blind spot monitoring or rear cross traffic alert on UK spec Corolla.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah, same in Finland: no electric seat adjustment (except for lumbar support), and no blind spot monitoring or rear cross traffic alert. I think blind spot monitoring is the worst omission.

• Like 2

Whilst blind spot monitoring would be nice I just don’t see the necessity if you adjust the offside mirror so you can just see the side of your car you will see the car long before the blind spot monitoring kicks in I know this from driving coaches and buses.

• Like 1

BSM is not for that - it's to cover the areas you *can't* see with the mirrors, usually to the sides outside the arc of the wing mirrors.

It's definitely a thing, as more than once I've seen a car move over a lane, right into a car which was next to them! Heck I've done it a couple times where I've checked all mirrors, not seen any car, then put my signal on and got a honk as there is literally a car next to me which is not in any of the mirrors! I quickly learned to also look left or right out the window slightly over my shoulders (What bikers call the Lifesaver Check!) when changing lanes to stop that happening!!

It's especially helpful in the Mk4 as, even turning your head to look left and right to check said blind spots, you can't see behind the GIGANTIC B-PILLARS. (Seriously, they may as well have not put windows in back half of this car, the visibility is so bad :laugh: )

I will say this is the first car I've owned that I'd miss it a lot - The Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris, and even my old Fiesta, had good enough visibility that BSM would be nice but would be the first thing I'd cut to save money. In the Mk4, not so much...!

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

BSM is not for that - it's to cover the areas you *can't* see with the mirrors, usually to the sides outside the arc of the wing mirrors.

It's definitely a thing, as more than once I've seen a car move over a lane, right into a car which was next to them! Heck I've done it a couple times where I've checked all mirrors, not seen any car, then put my signal on and got a honk as there is literally a car next to me which is not in any of the mirrors! I quickly learned to also look left or right out the window slightly over my shoulders (What bikers call the Lifesaver Check!) when changing lanes to stop that happening!!

It's especially helpful in the Mk4 as, even turning your head to look left and right to check said blind spots, you can't see behind the GIGANTIC B-PILLARS. (Seriously, they may as well have not put windows in back half of this car, the visibility is so bad :laugh: )

I will say this is the first car I've owned that I'd miss it a lot - The Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris, and even my old Fiesta, had good enough visibility that BSM would be nice but would be the first thing I'd cut to save money. In the Mk4, not so much...!

I suppose it is useful if you are not paying attention to the surrounding traffic if I adjust my offside mirror as such I can see from the b pillars back along the side of the car and I have seen  the overtaking vehicle approach my offside rear and combined with the rear view mirror I feel safe but I agree with you that bsm does take that element of worry away.

I find the BSM extremely useful, and I am one like Cyker that looks over the shoulder often when overtaking - ex motorcyclist like Cyker. Must admit I don’t do shoulder checks as often because I have weighed up the BSM and got to trust it.

Nothing to do with not paying attention to surrounding traffic; It's just not physically possible to look in all directions at once! Seeing the B-pillar and backwards is what wing mirrors are for; It's seeing away from the B-pillars that they can't show. Once you're about a metre or two away from the B-Pillar that area is where your blindspot starts and cars can easily hide there if you don't explicitly check. With trucks and coaches, they have extra 'fish-eye' wind mirrors to help spot things there, but for whatever reason cars usually don't. I know driving instructors often fit extra fish-eye mirrors to help learners there tho'.

I must admit the BSM does help the back - Twisting round to do the over the shoulder looks is a lot more painful than when I first started driving! :laugh: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

Whilst blind spot monitoring would be nice I just don’t see the necessity if you adjust the offside mirror so you can just see the side of your car you will see the car long before the blind spot monitoring kicks in I know this from driving coaches and buses.

You know I would have agreed with you, but I've had Seat Leon and had 2-3 near misses when I'd just join the motorway and all of a sudden there's a car there. Definitely not the case with my FJ but it has wide angle mirrors and setup so I barely see an inch of my own car so not an issue there. 

Also drove a friends USA spec BMW X5 when I was abroad a couple of weeks ago and OMG those mirrors were just bad, they are magnifying, absolutely useless in the city but probably OKish on long hauls on highways. Also made me a little bit dizzy from looking at them.

It really does depend on the type of the mirrors installed on the car

22 hours ago, frazthewise said:

Whilst watching a foreign Corolla review, noticed the following ' The drivers seat can be adjusted electrically'. If that is the case, a real shame it is not offered in the UK?.

Which market is that for? Wonder if that could be retrofitted. Whenever I have an option for electric seats and especially with memory option I tend to use it for two different seating positions in the city and on the motorway. Before putting down a deposit for corolla I was after a used IS300H but in the whole of Spain couldn't find a spec with memory seats, there was only one car that I missed

Electric seats are very useful when combined with presets so that you instantly change the position from yours to your partner's. I don't think it's very useful when the car is not shared with anyone else because I never feel the need to change the position once it's set.

BSM, electric seats and heated steering wheel are all available features on the UK spec C-HR but not the Corolla. Goodness knows why.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Electric seats are very useful when combined with presets

One of the reasons I got the full trim version of my new RAV4 was for the electric seat adjustments which I was used to on previous (non Toyota) cars.  But I cannot make the preset buttons work. I'm under guarantee so I'll go to the dealer if necessary but maybe I am doing something wrong. For what it's worth, I often make adjustments to allow for load, road conditions, and fatigue.

• Like 3

I'd love electric memory seats just because every time the car is serviced I have to spend a week trying to figure out where I had the seat comfortable! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'd love electric memory seats just because every time the car is serviced I have to spend a week trying to figure out where I had the seat comfortable! :laugh: 

That quickly !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Same here🤣👌,  touch my seat or rear view mirrors and I will go and play with them all day long afterwards.😡 I don’t like electric seats though and I love the Toyota seats not Vw like with turning a lot to get it set., as I use recline function 5 times a day every day, you can imagine my driver seat will probably go up and down a million times during its lifetime 🤭 So far so good👍 

• Like 2

My Corolla had its 30k km service last week, (I do so wish that models for Ireland had the choice of miles or km). I could see the seat had been moved when they gave the car back to me. I got the seat in the correct position and drove home, about 30 miles. When I got home, I had to adjust it again. I then drove to pick my wife up from work - 10 miles, and had to adjust the seat again and yet again when I got home. I think it is right now!

• Like 1

electric memory seats yes but bsm i have had it previously and hated the fact that spray caused lots of false alarms. i don`t miss it, just get your` mirrors adjusted correctly.