Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV - Different market specs

Flatcoat

I came across a Norwegian review of the PHEV which clearly has PVM. This is not available on Uk PHEV’s…… somewhat surprised. 

• Like 1

Each importer decides how they spec the cars for their market - so what is offered on UK market vehicles will vary from other markets (Norway, Ireland, Germany, etc)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I came across a Norwegian review of the PHEV which clearly has PVM. This is not available on Uk PHEV’s…… somewhat surprised. 

I was disappointed when ordering mine since the Premium pack on the HEV does include it.

1 hour ago, Vogit said:

I was disappointed when ordering mine since the Premium pack on the HEV does include it.

Exactly, which is why I am not convinced that frosty’s comment applies in this instance. 360 camera systems are available or increasingly standard on many far cheaper cars (the MG HS PHEV has it and that is over £13k less). Personally I think it is a bad decision by Toyota UK and I would have happily paid a bit more or deleted the HUD instead. 

23 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Nor is...

The Panoramic view (360 camera).

Paddle shifters (pointless to be honest) 

Heated steering wheel

1.5kW traction Battery powered AC outlet (we get 150W which won't even power my high end laptop)

Full seat back cargo zone covers

Several other things I forgot. But I really, really wanted the 360 pan view and 1.5kW outlet. Rest I can live with. 

Compared to USA version.

PCM is the 360 camera….  I thought the Dynamic Premium had the paddle shift? Not too bothered about that nor heated steering wheel - just struggle to understand why they don’t throw everything at the top model…..

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

PCM is the 360 camera….  I thought the Dynamic Premium had the paddle shift? Not too bothered about that nor heated steering wheel - just struggle to understand why they don’t throw everything at the top model…..

It's daft but my guess is they feel they need to compete in gadget terms with the US Tesla market. Not so much over here. 

But... we do get door switch backlights and electrically folding wing mirrors which the US doesn't get!

I did most of my pre purchase research on the HV and assumed the premium PHEV had the PVM. I very nearly ordered the PHEV premium for the JBL audio and PVM. I wasn't bothered about the panoramic roof or the HUD. It wasn't much more expensive on the list price. However, the APR offered on the premium was higher so the monthly payment was a far bit higher. I didn't think it was worth the extra. It wasn't until after I ordered the dynamic PHEV that I discovered on here there was no PVM on the premium PHEV. I'd have been really annoyed if I'd had have ordered the premium and found the PVM was missing.

• Like 1

I could understand the different specs if they came from different factories. I think the US version comes from Canada and ours come from Japan so that makes sense. I'd have thought the Norwegian version also came from Japan but I read there is also a factory in Russia that make the RAV4 so maybe it comes from there?

Although Japan must do a LHD and RHD version so there must be different lines.

• Like 1

You lot will go blind comparing the specs available in different markets. And, it is really not a good idea to make any decision based on the detail presented for a different geography.

What we get offered in the UK is determined by Toyota UK and the factory in Japan builds UK spec cars as required. They will also build cars for other markets as specified for those markets. UK specs may not be exactly as we want, but that's what is available to us ... 😉

• Like 1

What's frustrating is that even if it's not in the model spec sheet - it's not configurable as an extra. Compared to my previous vehicles from VW stable, you order a model which comes with a set of extras, and then configure all the extras on top of that you want (for a price!). I'd have happily paid extra for 360 cameras, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen (do Toyota do those?), 1.5kw power outlet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spicyhotone said:

heated windscreen (do Toyota do those?)

Yes, they do. I live in Estonia and recently ordered RAV4 PHEV. We have 2 options- Executive and Premium, the difference is 360 camera, HUD, electric passenger seat, leather interior with ventilated seats. Both have heated steering wheels and windscreens. So Premium trim has everything Toyota can offer, only moonroof is optional (not so popular option in Estonia lol). Price is a bit steep though- 52900 EUR + 520-780 depending on color.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nlee said:

I read there is also a factory in Russia that make the RAV4 so maybe it comes from there?

All UK spec Rav4's come from Japan. The Russian plant builds for Russia and surrounding Eastern bloc countries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nlee said:

I'd have thought the Norwegian version also came from Japan but I read there is also a factory in Russia that make the RAV4 so maybe it comes from there?

In Russia they only assemble cheap version of RAV4 - no Hybrid version at all.

I think the US and Canada versions of the PHEV is also manufactured in Japan. 

• Like 1

Saw what was presumably a Russki built RAV4 in Prague at the weekend, basic looking in comparison with UK cars. Not a hybrid either. 
Re reference to higher APR on premium trim? Not when I ordered last month. I don’t mind Toyota keeping trim option packs simple, just wish they reflected market demand and competition. 

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Could be albeit Toyota have a Canadian factory. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Just read an article which suggests you are correct. All RAV4s for the Canadian and American market are built in Canada (although some production is moving to Kentucky) except the Prime (PHEV) which comes from Japan.

Not sure about Oz but maybe all PHEVs only come from Japan 

• Like 1

The PHEV is built exclusively at Toyota's Nagakusa plant in Japan.

Other versions of the Rav4 are built in Japan, US (Kentucky), Canada (Ontario), and Russia (Saint Petersburg). UK models come from Japan.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nlee said:

I could understand the different specs if they came from different factories. I think the US version comes from Canada and ours come from Japan so that makes sense. I'd have thought the Norwegian version also came from Japan but I read there is also a factory in Russia that make the RAV4 so maybe it comes from there?

Although Japan must do a LHD and RHD version so there must be different lines.

US R4P also comes from Japan. 

7 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

What's frustrating is that even if it's not in the model spec sheet - it's not configurable as an extra. Compared to my previous vehicles from VW stable, you order a model which comes with a set of extras, and then configure all the extras on top of that you want (for a price!). I'd have happily paid extra for 360 cameras, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen (do Toyota do those?), 1.5kw power outlet.

Me too.

4 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Could be albeit Toyota have a Canadian factory. 

But all the R4P in north America are built in Japan hence current obsession on the US Can forums about when the cargo ships are leaving port in Japan because their lead time can be over 12 months due to demand.

12 months?! That is nearly as bad as some JLR/BMW/Merc products. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flatcoat said:

12 months?! That is nearly as bad as some JLR/BMW/Merc products. 

Demand over the pond is massive. Dealerships charging way over MRP and long waits. A lot of federal and state incentives. You can pick a top spec model with all goodies up for 10k to 15k UKP less than we pay.

I was told 6 month over here for a Volvo T6 or T8 PHEV. Cancelled that. Was also missing key safety features because of chip crisis and no plan to fit later.

3 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Demand over the pond is massive. Dealerships charging way over MRP and long waits. A lot of federal and state incentives. You can pick a top spec model with all goodies up for 10k to 15k UKP less than we pay.

I was told 6 month over here for a Volvo T6 or T8 PHEV. Cancelled that. Was also missing key safety features because of chip crisis and no plan to fit later.

People in the US are still buying Toyota PHEV’s in New York and flying  and driving back to Florida such is the issues about availability. They do not seem to be able to pre order and track as we do but have to buy from a dealers available stock or allocation. Indeed on some of the US forums I’ve read that the dealers are bundling some extras and then selling at premium prices but the tax incentives still make this worth while.

• Like 1