Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2022 Aygo X launched

FROSTYBALLS

I rather like it. I think Stellantis will regret pulling out of the small car partnership with Toyota. 

First impressions are very good, not sure on the all black rear end and the rear doors look a bit small and still pop out rear door windows, why we got 3 door cars, but hey at least they still in the game and for me prefer it to current Aygo design. The tech levels impressive compared to our very basic original, but sign of the times and they doing a red one, what's not to like.

• Like 1

I liked the looks of the preview model which was in the Chilli colour. Just seen the production colours and the Chilli still jumps out to me, but the other colours are growing on me, especially the green one. I am ok with rear pop out windows, back in the 1970’s I had a Chevette 3 door and it had pop out windows. I found it good for keeping the car air fresh and worked well on wet days to.

I expected different but the all new Aygo looks a bit like a facelift to me now.
I recognise a lot of things from the previous model.

8 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

I expected different but the all new Aygo looks a bit like a facelift to me now.
I recognise a lot of things from the previous model.

Having a different platform, and being longer and wider, it certainly isn't a facelift. More cabin space, bigger boot, etc.  Plus the inclusion of a CVT as the automatic option instead of the X-shift. 

Yes it carries over some cosmetic touches from the second generation, but that enables people to continue to identify it as an Aygo.

• Like 3

Could do with a bit more power under the bonnet to lower the 0 - 60 time to help with joining motorways / getting up to speed etc.

25 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Could do with a bit more power under the bonnet to lower the 0 - 60 time to help with joining motorways / getting up to speed etc.

Well, the Aygo/C1/107 have been on the roads at least 16 years with 3cyl 1 litre engines and seem to have joined MWays reasonably well so cannot see the logic. Aygo has always been a good learner car for insurance etc, so why upset the cart.

• Like 2

Check some YouTube aygo sprints from 0-100 or 0-170.

As long as you don't obay the shift indicator, it reasonably goes.

From 0-50 in 1, 50-100 in 2... 

I would never have tried that myself but the car can do it if you would be asking 🙂

I'm glad to see a 3 cylinder CVT option, will certainly make my next swap to stay with the Aygo for sure now. Out of all the colours, the sage/green looks the best with the orange imbelishments.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

I liked the looks of the preview model which was in the Chilli colour. Just seen the production colours and the Chilli still jumps out to me, but the other colours are growing on me, especially the green one. I am ok with rear pop out windows, back in the 1970’s I had a Chevette 3 door and it had pop out windows. I found it good for keeping the car air fresh and worked well on wet days to.

With the continued push upmarket, just thought they would fitted 'proper' rear windows, but assume design got in the way, we had an original Mini in the 70s, that had pop out rear windows, but although ours had many many faults, thanks BL, they at least stayed on the car! Talking Chevette, I had a 2 door saloon 1983 vintage, good little car, but for a peaceful motorway experience our 107 would win every time!

Yeah it's a shame they're unlikely to make a hybrid one or put the 8NR-FE in it (That would be hiiiiilarious :laugh: )

There are super and turbo charger kits floating around for the original Aygos, so if the new car is popular with young boy racer types they might make some kits for those!

The pop out rear windows on our 2016 X-Play have been fine. 

Think the City car sector will shrink even more as Seat and Skoda have ceased producing their clones of the Up, and I don't think the Up will be on the market much longer.  Leaving Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Fiat (Stellantis), and Suzuki.

It isn't that City cars are unprofitable, but the EU requirement for fleet wide CO2 targets across a manufacturers range, actually works against cars in this sector. 

Getting to like this new Aygo. Looks good, and lots of detail I like. I don’t like low profile tyres though.

• Like 1

Anybody wants to find the similarities with me ?

- Roof in the back with 'tunnels' or bumps for more headspace 

- same limited space in the back, still small doors in the back

- daytime running lights look the same as last model 

- shape of backlights and back side in general very much same

- windows in the back click open 

- doors inside still showing a lot of painted metal

- trunk lid is a glass plate, no metal 

- same 998 cc engine with same power output

11 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

Anybody wants to find the similarities with me ?

- Roof in the back with 'tunnels' or bumps for more headspace 

- same limited space in the back, still small doors in the back

- daytime running lights look the same as last model 

- shape of backlights and back side in general very much same

- windows in the back click open 

- doors inside still showing a lot of painted metal

- trunk lid is a glass plate, no metal 

- same 998 cc engine with same power output

If the double bubble roof treatment improves interior headroom, albeit slightly, then why not continue with it. Plus it is a recognisable feature of the 2nd generation Aygo.

The Aygo is in the City car market sector, and the majority of cars in this sector have limited rear cabin room/shorter doors. I've had my 6 foot 4 inch brother in law travel in the rear seat of our 2016 Aygo without issue - helped by the roof treatment

From the video in TonyHSD's post the daytime running lights seem to double as the front indicators - so different.

The shape of the rear lights, rear of car, and glass tailgate retain some design continuity with previous generations.

The interior doors having painted metal showing is common to some other cars in this class  VW Up for example. One way to keep costs down.

Glass rear tailgate - a one piece tailgate reduces cost. Again the tailgate in the VW Up is glass, so, in this market sector, this feature isn't peculiar to Toyota.

Makes sense for Toyota to carry over the award winning 1KE series engine, as it is still competitive and developing a new engine will increase costs, not just for the manufacturer but also for the buyer.

The Aygo engine develops 71bhp currently. Competitors: Fiat 500 70bhp; Fiat Panda 69-70bhp;  Kia Picanto from 66-95bhp; Hyundai i10 from 67-84bhp; Suzuki Ignis from 81-88bhp; VW Up 65bhp. 

Yes, suppose it would be nice for the Aygo to have less painted metal in the interior, more rear cabin space, larger rear doors, a steel and glass tailgate, a choice of engine size and power, etc. Hang on a minute, isn't what we're describing the Toyota Yaris ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit, given the Aygo is their 'budget' car, I'm surprised more of it isn't re-used from the old car!!

That'd be good for the budget-minded customer too, as it means more parts available for cheaper.

Compare this with the new Yaris, which is completely different - Parts availability is almost non-existent, not even brake pads! I can't even use the oil left over from my old Yaris in the new one (Old one took 0w20, new one takes 0w8(!!)). Even Opie Oils don't sell 0w8, only the dealers seem to have any availability of it, and only in 5L bottles; I only wanted a little top-up bottle just in case... (But I think using small amounts of 0w20 for topup should be okay since the car is consuming virtually no oil, unlike the last one I had which got through two 5L bottles in a year, outside of servicing...! I haven't had to top it up at all in the 10k I've owned it, which is a breath of fresh air after having to put in a litre a month in the old car, so currently the problem is moot anyway!)

Ooh cheers frosty, good to know! The price is even pretty reasonable considering - I was expecting it'd be a lot more, but it's still in the same ball park as 0w20!

Using the 2nd gen car as a benchmark is no bad thing cos we have a 107 and a 108 and the 108 is a major step up from our 107, all those niggly issues with the 1st gen car have been sorted and even the major issues with 1st gen cars leaks, rear windows, clutches etc seem to be fixed as well. I not too fussed about seeing some interior paint, but then i'm of an age when that was common place, bit nicer than a sea of plastic. If anything like the late model 1st gen cars and our 108 the dark interior plastic is a bit too much for me, so our early model 107's lighter plastics win out, but overall the 108's interior is better. Our 108's bubble roof is a winner as well, just one of those little design things that show bit more care and attention when into the 2nd gen car and hopefully that carries over to the new Aygo X. Reminds me of some the car reviews where owners bemoan the lack of boot space or available tech, it's a small cheap reliable city car, so for me ticks all the boxes.

• Like 1

I didn't say any of these things are bad but just typical.

My only point is that a lot of very typical things in the Aygo are being as good as copied on the new one.

I would have thought they make this new version as an extra crossover model and keep the old version in production too, ..

Pity they didn't do that. Then they were able to sell a more cheap and very reliable small car. Up to Toyota !

Seeing photos, I still see the middle part as the old Aygo, having made a larger trunk behind it, thus stretching / replacing the chassis and putting it higher on the wheels.

Luckily inside, at the front of the car, it has changed a lot. The instruments cluster looks better imho.

The engine : isn't bad... If they had added direct injection and turbo, I wouldn't want to buy it probably. Can't imagine they would put the 1,8 hybrid inside and would have to buy a Corolla to have that.

The Aygo ticked a lot of boxes for me too. That's why I just bought one (2021) and started to drive it this week.

It's not the most fun car to drive I ever had but it has a lot in favour. Hope I will be able to keep on comforting myself with that idea.

55 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

I would have thought they make this new version as an extra crossover model and keep the old version in production too, ...

They have limited production capacity, so that probably wouldn't be possible.

Plus given the choice of a 2013 design (with a few midlife tweaks) or a 2021 design how many people would really opt for the older design?