Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 2022 Aygo X launched

FROSTYBALLS

If by older design you mean the non-SUV version, I think there is still a sizeable market for that; For instance if they only made the new Yaris as the Yaris Cross, I would have probably bought a Honda Jazz instead!

The whole point of the Aygo is it's small and cheap - If they make it too big or too expensive people will go elsewhere - The Aygo has some very stiff competition from things like the Up, i10 and Picanto, and the people that want bigger or more expensive cars are more likely to look at the Yaris/Polo segment, and likely won't want to 'downgrade' to the spec of an Aygo.

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The Aygo has some very stiff competition from things like the Up, i10 and Picanto, and the people that want bigger or more expensive cars are more likely to look at the Yaris/Polo segment, and likely won't want to 'downgrade' to the spec of an Aygo.

I'm a B segment man myself. I've driven Aygo/108 and whilst it's an endearing car to zip here and there with I wouldn't want to make long trips in one. As much as I thought I wanted the Yaris Cross, the Yaris trumps it, for handling and all around comfort. Mind you if you have dodgy hips, or whatever I can fully understand the appeal of the Yaris Cross. 

I definitely wouldn't want to downgrade to Aygo levels of finition.

• Like 1

We've made trips of 200 miles or so in the Aygo (eg Birmingham to Dorset, Dorset to Belper, etc), and it has been fine. Motorways and A roads. Speeds up to 60-80mph.

Yes either of our i20's are more comfortable - and we use our previous/current i20 for longer trips (eg Birmingham to Isle of Skye - 520+ miles) - but the Aygo is OK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

Even OpieOils don't sell 0w8, only the dealers seem to have any availability of it, and only in 5L bottles; I only wanted a little top-up bottle just in case... (But I think using small amounts of 0w20 for topup should be okay since the car is consuming virtually no oil, unlike the last one I had which got through two 5L bottles in a year, outside of servicing...! I haven't had to top it up at all in the 10k I've owned it, 

If I had a newish car and had to add oil in between services I would be concerned.  I had my Prius 3 years of its 5 year life, I do check the oil and never had even to think about topping up. Uses nothing to negligible.

• Like 1

Yup, same here! It's still a novelty, coming from the oil guzzling 1NR-FE in the Mk2!!!

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

The whole point of the Aygo is it's small and cheap - If they make it too big or too expensive people will go elsewhere

The size increases IMHO don't move the Aygo X out of the A segment:

At 3,700mm in length, the new Aygo X is 235mm longer than its predecessor, although the wheelbase is increased by just 90mm. The front overhang is 72mm less than Yaris, while maximum wheel size is increased to 18”.

Designed for the narrowest city streets, the Aygo X also has an exceptionally small turning circle of just 4.7m, one of the tightest in the segment. 

Total body width is increased by 125mm to 1,740mm compared to the Aygo. As a result, the front seats are moved 20mm further apart, increasing shoulder space by 45mm.

Luggage space is also segment-leading with 125mm more luggage length and smart space design behind the rear seats, increasing cargo capacity by more than 60-litres to 231-litres compared to the previous generation.

There will inevitably be a price increase over the Aygo, but there would have been if the Mk2 Aygo had received the same equipment/infotainment upgrades as a 2022 midlife upgrade.

And I think nobody will complain about the 18" wheels and especially the change from MMT to CVT for the 'auto' versions.

• Like 1

If given the choice between 17 or 18"... Or the old 15 inch, I would prefer strongly to still have 15 inch.

Imho that is a general evolution for the worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally a small city car with proper auto option, cvt’s  are way better than any other type automatic transmission for low speeds city traffic, they are like Evs and hybrids.👍

• Like 3

By the looks of it, Toyota been quite clever as looks like they made the Aygo X as more of a 'mini Yaris Cross' in order to make it work, so the economies of scale work, and it a different option to other 'city' cars, gives them more options now and hopefully in the future.

18 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Plus given the choice of a 2013 design (with a few midlife tweaks) or a 2021 design how many people would really opt for the older design?

(Nearly) everybody on here is an car enthusiast in one way or another, but there are people out there, who even buy new cars without ever test driving them. These kind of people will only care about the price after trade in, so if the price was right I can see a lot of people going for the older model. Look how people flocked after the low cost Dacias when they were introduced.

• Like 1

Dacia didn't return to the UK until 2012, and have since acheived a 1.24% market share for 2020. So not quite the sales success, although still respectable, as in countries like France, etc.

I think the 18 inch wheels look a bit silly.
I was curious to see how much 175/60 R18 tyres cost, but I guess nothing else uses this size as there aren't any to be found on blackcircles etc.

27 minutes ago, Ahar said:

I was curious to see how much 175/60 R18 tyres cost, but I guess nothing else uses this size as there aren't any to be found on blackcircles etc.

They look special fit similar to bmw i3. Toyota will have them as spare parts perhaps well over £100 per tyre. I do like the retro look of these narrow and the same time large circumference tyres, The whole car is really nice refresh and tbh Toyota stepped up their design since 2019 a lot👌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ahar said:

I found one semperit winter tyre in 18 inch. 108 euro per piece. I had expected worse.

TonyHSD said :

""""The whole car is really nice refresh and tbh Toyota stepped up their design since 2019 a lot👌"""

True.

Orders from Mr Toyoda.

https://insightsartist.com/why-no-more-boring-cars-toyota/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Dacia didn't return to the UK until 2012, and have since acheived a 1.24% market share for 2020. So not quite the sales success, although still respectable, as in countries like France, etc.

I was unaware of sales performance in the UK, but they definitely sell well in France, and in Germany if memory serves.

CVT combined with a low torque engine sounds like 5000 rpm. until you reach the speed limit.

Plenty of Toyota IQ videos, more or less the same engine, same power output. And never ending screaming revs.

• Like 1

You're comparing a 13 year old car to a new model - so may not be as bad as you predict.

Good to see designs are filling wheel arches rather than leaving large gaps. Never looks great to me having tiny wheels. Ive ordered the pre facelift but happy to keep hold of it until the teething problems (if any) of the new X are ironed out. Maybe give it a couple of years at least. 

21 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I was unaware of sales performance in the UK, but they definitely sell well in France, and in Germany if memory serves.

Probably because Dacian mother is Renault.

Yes, Dacia is Renault low cost brand, but in other markets Dacia models are badged Renault (Russia, Brazil & South Africa, for example, IIRC). 

Dacia may be ok but I rather drive a Toyota 👍 For the cvt I believe it’s better whining when under load than be jerky in town and unreliable with clutch changes as often as coolant🤭 To me this new Aygo X is a big step forward from the previous model even with similar engine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Dacia may be ok but I rather drive a Toyota 👍 For the cvt I believe it’s better whining when under load than be jerky in town and unreliable with clutch changes as often as coolant🤭 To me this new Aygo X is a big step forward from the previous model even with similar engine. 

yep its taken a few years, but I'll be able to drive a CVT Auto again when it comes to swapping, which for me will be 2023

Does anyone know if the CVT for the new Aygo will have the launch gear? :naughty: 

• Haha 2

First impressions are good, though will need to see it in the flesh before making my mind up. Good to see so many styling cues retained. Strange to see no white colour mentioned in the launch blurb, given how well the Mk2 looks in this colour. Not sure about the amount of black around the rear either. Interior looks well and the increased boot capacity was sorely needed.

My only surprise is that the Aygo x seems to be the only version. I would have thought it was possible to introduce a Mk3 Aygo without all the faux SUV looks at a lower price and with smaller wheels and then have the x as an additional style, similar to Ford with their Active models and Kia with the x-line. 

When Toyota introduced the Concept earlier this year, they stated their "next-generation A-segment car will be called the Aygo X (pronounced 'Cross'), with the firm claiming it will take the form of a "compact urban crossover" that will be "unique" in its market."

So no other version other than the crossover.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links