Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Inaccurate speed alerts

edinburgh_lad

Greetings Yaris owners

I was wondering if anyone would help with the following problem on my 18 reg. Yaris: during driving speed alerts started well below the speed I was driving at. So, when driving in a 30 mile zone, speed alerts started to occur when I was driving 25mph; in a 20mph zone, at 15mph etc, despite the setting being set to alert if over 3mph.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that full beam wouldn't automatically come on, even when driving in pitch black conditions.

I now believe the above is because of the condensation in the sensor area in the windscreen, as in attached photo. 

I was also in Glasgow yesterday (driving from Edinburgh), and on the way back, when the above problem of false speed warnings, I could smell burning rubber.

Any suggestions here how condensation could get into the sensor and how to get rid of it? I'll probably have to visit my local dealership - if so, does anyone know how long such a repair takes? What would be the cause of the burning rubber smell and whether both are related, especially that these false speed alerts started to occur after the smell.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

IMG_20211105_193127993.thumb.jpg.73d33ca490ca196d1092d4484edd9024.jpg

Couple of issues here:

• Inaccurate speed warnings: The car has seen a speed sign that it interpreted as being in KMH rather than MPH this can be a mis-read of a normal sign or even this speed restrictions on the back of a Continental truck as a result the system has started reporting over speeds based on KMH the car can switch back nut sometimes it can take a while, to fix quickly using the settings on the multi function go to the "units" selection set the units to KMH switch the car off/on then got back to units and switch back to MPH.
  • Condensation: the camera is open to the inside cabin atmosphere it is not sealed and there are air gaps around the cover to allow air from the windscreen vents to circulate, make sure there are no obstructions such as dash cams blocking air flow use the rear screen heater as there is a heater around the camera as well, use the AC to dehumidify the interior, make sure the air recirculation is set to fresh air and ensure there is nothing in the car that is harbouring dampness. Have you had a new windscreen as it is not uncommon for the windscreen companies to forget the heater element it is bonded to the glass and not reusable and when they change the screens they don't have a new one so leave them off?
  • Burning smell: unlikely to be linked to above but if it persists get the car booked in for a check over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Hello Devon Aygo, and thank you very much for your responses. I think I've read somewhere before that you are somewhat link to a Toyota dealership so I hope your managers know how a great help you are. 

Regarding switching between KPH/MPH - that's what I initially thought was the cause and I did a reset of all settings, but I'll do as you say.

I didn't change the windscreen but I'm a second owner of the car after purchasing it from a Toyota dealership here in Edinburgh. When I looked at the service history, there was no mention of the windscreen being replaced, but I suppose this could have been done by an external company. Is there a way of telling if the windscreen was replaced?

The smell of burning rubber only occurred once (thankfully; fingers crossed). I don't know a lot about cars, but someone had described something similar to me as 'burning clutch'. I'll look out for it though. Is there a possibility that it came from outside? I opened the windows for 10-15 seconds and it was gone.

25 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Couple of issues here:

• Inaccurate speed warnings: The car has seen a speed sign that it interpreted as being in KMH rather than MPH this can be a mis-read of a normal sign or even this speed restrictions on the back of a continental truck as a result the system has started reporting over speeds based on KMH the car can switch back nut sometimes it can take a while, to fix quickly using the settings on the multi function go to the "units" selection set the units to KMH switch the car off/on then got back to units and switch back to MPH.
  • Condensation: the camera is open to the inside cabin atmosphere it is not sealed and there are air gaps around the cover to allow air from the windscreen vents to circulate, make sure there are no obstructions such as dash cams blocking air flow use the rear screen heater as there is a heater around the camera as well, use the AC to dehumidify the interior, make sure the air recirculation is set to fresh air and ensure there is nothing in the car that is harbouring dampness. Have you had a new windscreen as it is not uncommon for the windscreen companies to forget the heater element it is bonded to the glass and not reusable and when they change the screens they don't have a new one so leave them off?
  • Burning smell: unlikely to be linked to above but if it persists get the car booked in for a check over

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links