Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla GR Sport vs Corolla Excel Hatchback in UK (Which one is better ?)

Scout117

Hi Everyone,

I'm soon going to buy the Corolla Hybrid 2.0 Hatchback version but a bit split whether to get the GR Sport or The Excel Trim.

Look wise i really like the GR sport but the Excel seems to have the LED Dual-beam Projector headlights which the GR doesn't and also the leather seat.

On the other hand the GR sport has a HUD which i really like but you can't spec that in the excel in the UK.

Can you please give me your thoughts if I should go with the GR sport for the HUD (Not sure how useful it will be, never really used one before) and a little sporty look or get an excel for the LED Dual-beam Projector headlights, leather sport seats ?

Also one thing to note the GR sport also does not have the JBL sound system nor we can spec that in the UK on it, is that worth it ?

Thanks in advanced everyone.

I like the GR more but will get the excel if I am about to. HUD does not like and prefer to have better lights instead plus full leather seats and smart entry. Design model also seems like a good deal to me 👍

I was in the same dilemma as other half has a Mk4 Yaris excel with tech pack so has the JBL and the HUD....I wanted the leather and the JBL (both of which I really like).

The HUD isn't just a gadget...it's genuinely useful. As the corolla loses the hybrid/eco meter it's hard to balance the car near the power line. With the hud it's right there.

The JBL I really like the sound of ...if you're a real audiophile it probably won't stack up...some don't like it. It's a straight amp with a couple of extra Speakers. For me it was worth it and I find myself listening to music more than I used to in my previous two Auris.

Lights I find a bit better than on the Auris (which was also LED) but wouldn't have been a deal breaker.

Other decider is cost as GR sport at least when I placed order was pretty much same. It changed by the time I ordered but before June Gr sport didn't have keyless entry/start.

I'm very happy with my Excel and learning to adapt to rev counter instead if HSI. Using digital speedo makes the HSI a little bigger. It's a shame the UK version doesn't have the multi dial (digital) which is available in some markets but again not a deal breaker 

If I had to choose again, I'd still go for the Excel

• Like 2

I avoided both because the tyre profile on 18s is a bit thin for my preference and, after 3 cars with full leather, I've decided it's not all its cracked up to be, especially when its only faux leather like what they appear to fit in Corollas. If it weren't for those issues, I'd have gone GR Sport because the HUD trumps anything that the Excel has to offer IMO. No offense to Excel owners and keeping in mind, I haven't been in a Corolla with that particular trim level, so my opinion is unqualified.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

I avoided both because the tyre profile on 18s is a bit thin for my preference and, after 3 cars with full leather, I've decided it's not all its cracked up to be, especially when its only faux leather like what they appear to fit in Corollas. If it weren't for those issues, I'd have gone GR Sport because the HUD trumps anything that the Excel has to offer IMO. No offense to Excel owners and keeping in mind, I haven't been in a Corolla with that particular trim level, so my opinion is unqualified.

My sentiments entirely. 18" wheels and 40 profile tyres a 'no no' on the roads round here but wanted the 2.0 so went for the Design spec. Just wish it had better headlamps. They're not bad but could be so much better. Interestingly though I reckon the suspension settings are different between the 1.8 and 2.0 ST. The 1.8  I drove felt much softer than my 2.0 and they are both on 17" rims.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bozz said:

My sentiments entirely. 18" wheels and 40 profile tyres a 'no no' on the roads round here but wanted the 2.0 so went for the Design spec. Just wish it had better headlamps. They're not bad but could be so much better. Interestingly though I reckon the suspension settings are different between the 1.8 and 2.0 ST. The 1.8  I drove felt much softer than my 2.0 and they are both on 17" rims.

Could be, the 2.0 is heavier car, bigger brakes, heavier drive train in general, suspension can be a bit stiffer than 1.8 variants. I think for comfort and efficiency best TS is Design or Trek with 17” wheels and 1.8 engine 👍

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Could be, the 2.0 is heavier car, bigger brakes, heavier drive train in general, suspension can be a bit stiffer than 1.8 variants. I think for comfort and efficiency best TS is Design or Trek with 17” wheels and 1.8 engine 👍

I think it's probably the Battery pack that's the main difference - higher capacity and NimH is heavier than Li-On in general. But good for overall weight distribution lol. Offsetting that would be the beefier motors, which must make the transaxle heavier.

Brakes, maybe a couple of kilos, but they don't ride on the suspension anyway. 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

I think it's probably the battery pack that's the main difference - higher capacity and NimH is heavier than Li-On in general. But good for overall weight distribution lol. Offsetting that would be the beefier motors, which must make the transaxle heavier.

Brakes, maybe a couple of kilos, but they don't ride on the suspension anyway. 😉

I don’t know for certain that the brakes are bigger - they look the same as the 1.8 (the electric motor (MG2)  is bigger, therefore offers more regen). 

the engine & Battery will be a smidge heavier - don’t know if it has different suspension to compensate, but the ride on my 2.0 on 17s is sublime 

• Like 2

Having just returned from a 3500 road trip to s. Spain in our 2.0 design TS, I can say that the ride of the Design even on 17"rims, is not as forgiving as my Gen 4 Prius also on 17".

spanish Road humps and very nasty "gullies", become very crashy, which they never did on the Prius.

the 2.0 mind you, does not scream gearbox wise, when crossing the Pyrenees in a spirited fashion, and the car will show green and red power arrows on certain throttle settings, meaning both Ice and 'E, operating.

a quick flick Off the accelerator pedal, and the Pulse & Glide will operate, with rev counter dropping to 0….the car will go much further in e-mode than the 1.8 Prius ever did.

I too miss the HUD, but bought an Amazon plug in hud, mainly for speed in kms, and this works well

cant drive to Spain without a space saver, so that is in my boot, plus a much needed sun roof and tow bar for bikes.

car managed nearly 59 mpg over 3500 miles…so not too bad

l

2D2D7D41-2661-4A08-871E-ABBDABD9AB72.jpeg

7B261DF2-387B-42E0-AB3E-54D3599764BF.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

I did a test drive today on the Corolla GR Sport 2.0. and I was very impressed. First of all the drive was great I did not feel the 18 inch rims were an issue for me, it could be that ive never driven a nice car before lol.

Also the HUD is a very nice feature and I agree it is a very good one on Toyota, I never even looked at the info below just used the HUD and it was natural.

I think i'm sold on the GR sport for that and will definitely be getting that. Just a shame that all UK versions don't get the Blind spot monitoring other then that a very nice car.

Will get one in the Peal white bi tone option.

Thanks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scout117 said:

Also the HUD is a very nice feature and I agree it is a very good one on Toyota, I never even looked at the info below just used the HUD and it was natural.

One day, all cars will be thus! (or self driving 🤨)

I had the same dilemma although with the Touring Sports version.

Was all set on an Excel but then after going to see a GR Sport I changed my mind, preferred the sportier car without full leather although I do really miss the pan roof (previous car had one) and the headlights aren’t as good on the GRS. HUD is a really useful feature for me though and I liked the extra display with the 3D effect rings on the dash so it was decision made. 

A real shame you can’t pick and choose options to suit your needs/desires. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links