Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are Yaris MK1 T Sport calipers compatible with a regular Yaris 1.0?

IICIIEII

Hello!

I found a couple of Yaris T Sport calipers for cheap and since this Christmas I was planning to take the car apart I was wondering if these would be compatible with the ones I have currently installed (the car is a Yaris MK1 with the 1.0 engine). If this was possible I could get them, do some reconditioning an replace the current ones with these. I have to do the brakes anyway and this could be a good chance. I am aware that the discs are a bit bigger, so one additional concern would be to fit them inside my 14" steel wheels 🙂.

Cheers!

You might need new carriers with them. I really ought to know as i had a cdx for 20 years and recently bought a t sport and did the brakes! Flash22 is the man on compatibility

• Thanks 1

I couldn't tell you, the T Sport are Jap built so i would think disks, pads, calipers and carriers, the lines may also be different

Have a look on brakebook - Pagid or Mintex

• Thanks 1

Thank so much to both! 🙂 I will have a look and see what I find! They are still single piston calipers, I wonder if they will perform very differently or the better brakes in the T Sport are mostly due to the presence of discs in the rear wheels.

On a separate note, it is crazy that the same car has different essential parts depending on where it was made! even the air filters are different between Jap and French models in the 1.0 😬

Very useful info there :). Those discs are 255mm, sadly I don't think I would be able to fit them with the 14" steel wheels I have 😕

Brakes are just 1 area, they differ greatly between Jap and french builds

The T sport uses a 15 x 5.5 with a 45 e.t. - the spare is 14x4T space saver (all jap models) French ones have the same spec space saver (different part No.)

The 1.0 is 14x5.5J ET45... if the spare of the T Sport is 14x4T the discs should fit then 🤔

Yep, it is all luxurious. Not only it has 14" steelies but also some glorious hubcaps that say RS-T. It is also wrapped in plastic, the previous lady owner was probably scared to scratch it and she put plastic sheets everywhere. I did not remove anything 😛 If I install the Konis and the bigger brakes it will be perfect 💩

yaris_1.thumb.png.346fd39ae2ba664a851f40f724c82aed.png

yaris_2.thumb.png.1bd9c57e7d6b51b580ce81d0eed5b080.png

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

oh you have a posh 1.0 with steelies, the bog standard one gets 13x5J

That wasn't the owner - All the Mk1s had that weird stone-chip-protection-plastic-shield-thingy strategically stuck on the sticky-outy bits of the wheel arch and rear door. Even the Mk4 has some (Probably a good idea on those ridiculously flared wheel arches!)

They're not supposed to come off, but if you do want to remove them be very careful and use a hair drier, as they're really well bonded on!!

I'd leave 'em personally, just for the extra stone chip protection...

I think only the early 1999-made jappy 1.0's had 13" rims - I've only seen one in my entire life! Certainly all the ones following the trim-level name changes to more sane and logical ones (S, GS, GLS, SR, Colour Collection, CDX, watlol etc. -> T2 T3 T-Spirit) and when they moved all the petrol ones to French manufacturing all had 14" steel or alloy wheels AFAIK!

The japanese seem less concerned about rim sizes and almost seem to prefer smaller rims and high profile tyres, whereas in the west we seem to have this obsession with trying to put bazillion inch rims on a cars the size of a hatbox :laugh:  (I still can't get over who thought to put 17" rims on the Mk4... it's a hybrid! Why would anyone think that was a good idea?!)

Hahaha, it never crossed my mind that those plastics could be even official! 😆 Yeah, I am not going to remove them, too lazy for that :D.

• Haha 1

The 13" were on both the JAP and French cars to 11/05

PPF is common on a lot of cars from about 1995. Ones on the rear help with scuffs when rear passengers get in an out,

44 minutes ago, IICIIEII said:

Hahaha, it never crossed my mind that those plastics could be even official! 😆 Yeah, I am not going to remove them, too lazy for that :D.

It's funny 'cause I thought the same thing ("Wow, the previous owners must have even more OCD than me to stick these on...") until I got my second one and saw it had the same thing, then started looking at other peoples' Mk1's and saw they all had them too!

36 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The 13" were on both the JAP and French cars to 11/05

PPF is common on a lot of cars from about 1995. Ones on the rear help with scuffs when rear passengers get in an out,

As late as 2005?? That's so weird... unless you mean globally, not here? I've almost never seen one with 13's!

I swear the only ones specced with 13's here were the pre-facelift S-grade ones...!

I think that 13" are probably a bit on the small size even for this car, but much bigger than 14-"15" would probably drag it as well 🤔 I also agree that people lately got crazy getting bigger and bigger alloys. In a regular car, and also in a rally one, 16" is usually enough and the best compromise... there are exceptions, though, but in most cases it is for aesthetic purposes.

• Like 1