Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV - obtaining longer term / total mpg figures?

CBphev

Hi ho, 

Got 900 miles on my PHEV now but am really struggling to find overall MPG figures over that 900 miles.  When I turn the car off, it gives me a value for that journey, and in the infotainment, I can find a graph which gives MPG but only seems to give that for an individual week.  I also cant find anything in myT.

Is there a secret stash of driving data in an unobvious menu path that I am missing?

THanks

Chris

ah, might be able to answer my own question here, I generally keep car in EV only mode which is why I cant see it, if I put in auto hv/ev mode I think that will show total consumption since I reset it last!

The car information when you turn off can be customised to display a number of different data readings.  Obviously if you’ve only used the car in EV mode then you will not get mpg.  I tend to leave it set to display the EV ratio, mileage…

Quite simple, fill car up, use it, fill car up, record mileage since last fill up, divide by gallons require to refill = mpg. That will give you true consumption. 

• Like 1

It’s a bit more complicated with a PHEV as part of the ‘fill up your car’ is electricity. So what you get is a high mpg but not based purely on the petrol used. It also depends on how many times you top up the traction Battery. I’ve played with doing the maths from the MyT app if I’ve done a long run and used all the EV range before it switches to HEV mode but it gets messy when you use a combination of EV/HEV on a short run. I’ve had figures of 269mpg, I wish. I’m convinced that the ‘car’ understands what’s going on but that never gets reported and it’s obviously complicated to differentiate between charged EV and recovered EV once the car starts as it will always try to top up the Battery.  I do a run that starts with a range of 55 miles on EV and when I’ve done 6 miles I still have 55 miles as its mostly down hill, very different  on the return trip.

I'd love to get more detailed figures both per trip and over a time interval - total distance travelled / total time / average speed / fuel consumed / Net electric used
I'm sure the data's in the car somewhere!

Obviously individual trip data is available such as this, but it is rounded and does not record pure EV running etc.

591907DC-B8C4-4457-A9C9-A7E71586BFD7.jpeg

19 hours ago, ernieb said:

It’s a bit more complicated with a PHEV as part of the ‘fill up your car’ is electricity. So what you get is a high mpg but not based purely on the petrol used. It also depends on how many times you top up the traction battery. I’ve played with doing the maths from the MyT app if I’ve done a long run and used all the EV range before it switches to HEV mode but it gets messy when you use a combination of EV/HEV on a short run. I’ve had figures of 269mpg, I wish. I’m convinced that the ‘car’ understands what’s going on but that never gets reported and it’s obviously complicated to differentiate between charged EV and recovered EV once the car starts as it will always try to top up the battery.  I do a run that starts with a range of 55 miles on EV and when I’ve done 6 miles I still have 55 miles as its mostly down hill, very different  on the return trip.

Which is why Adrian's answer is still the correct one! 😉

The OP asked for overall MPG figures and the best way to get those is still via brim-to-brim fill recording. Whether the MPG figure is really meaningful with a PHEV is another question entirely - but not the question asked ... 🙂

Agree, if you want to know mpg over time as compared to the WLTP figures then either using the vehicle reported figure in the My T app or for the undeniable figure the full to full method. It's an interesting figure but the mpg in HV/ICE only mode would be interesting too. Unless I'm missing something, that's a much harder figure to get. I suppose I could not use EV at all for a full tank but that doesn't seem sensible use of a PHEV.

I think the page on the MID shows the long term efficiency of EV only in miles/kwh, but for fuel it is combined EV/HV (unless I'm getting >99.9 mpg!). I can't find anywhere for HV only.

I've done it on a single trip basis by resetting the display once the EV range has been used but it's obviously quite variable depending on journey type so would need to keep a log if I wanted to review over a longer period.

@Philip, I take your point about the OP, but the MyT app for the PHEV does give you the yearly running average mpg, a meaningless value but should still be equivalent to the brim to brim value over a similar period of time.  I’ve used the brim to brim for many years but regardless of how it’s measured on the PHEV it does depend on how often it’s charged some months I’ve averaged over 200mpg but also as low as 90mpg.

thanks for the replies everyone, brim to brim fill is a great method but I have been using the car daily for a few weeks now and..... havent had to visit the petrol station so that isnt giving me the numbers I was looking for - however, @ernib unlocked it for me - the screenshot of the my T app what what i was missing, I wasnt scrolling along to see the total MPG chart, but I am sorted now, thanks very much!