Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Filter - Which Is Best?

dawolf

Which do you think is best for performance?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is best for performance?

• Induction kit with cold air feed/heatshield
    • Panel filter in standard airbox
    • Panel filter in drilled airbox
    • Standard filter in standard airbox

Just wondering what you guys think, I reckon a good quality panel filter in a drilled airbox will give most gains and should sound quite nice too.

Just wondering what you guys think, I reckon a good quality panel filter in a drilled airbox will give most gains and should sound quite nice too.

We talking Type I & II or Type III?

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hey guys, is that an Apexi replacement element you are referring to in the resonator box? Or a round full on box replacement i.e. junk the box??

Most aftermarket kits (cold air induction kits that is) junk the standard airbox. Looks better, makes a better sound and gives you a couple more bhp into the bargain! :yes:

Standard air box(es) are very restrictive, i noticed a big difference in mine when i fitted my cone filter.

And its just a cheap one. :thumbsup:

Interesting coz I know many people who don't like induction kits because they are very prone to sucking in warm air (heatshield only helps a certain amount). I'm gonna try drilling my airbox and see if I notice any difference.

May as well go for the induction kit instead mate.

Got a Blitz SUS at the mo but defo heard good things about the Apexi and not just on here :thumbsup: 5th'd'd'd'd I gues or sommat :D :D

The good thing about an induction kit on an mr2

is that its very close to the passenger side air vent so it gets plenty of cold air directed straight at it.

You could also have some cold air ducting directed at it for extra cold air. :thumbsup:

is that its very close to the passenger side air vent so it gets plenty of cold air directed straight at it.

Only when your moving...as soon as you stop though :unsure:

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Yo Peter Dude, did you goto JAE on Sunday? I saw 2 black Corolla's and a red Paseo on the M25/M3 on Sunday afternoon. I was in a red MR2. Don't know if it was you tho.

• 8 months later...

What about Pipercross viper kits, they have a feed straight to the filter, you could run this from the side vent or a scoop ?

I know pipercross aint strickly Jap but hey, i have one fitted !

Cheers

KiwiMR2

...ain't that the truth. Engine bay temps soar when tavelling below ~5mph.

Don't want to putting the loud pedal down too hard when you've been sitting there for a while... you want the first gulp of air to be cold, not ~50+oC.

Induction kit, with hard pipes to avoid vortexing, and enclosed in cold air box with cold air feed from outside only for best results. No restriction, plenty of cold air, minimal heat soak... but more likely to have to replace/clean element more often.

HKS Racing Suction kit for me...

that depends, some are, some arnt.

my Trueno's isnt at all... a simple panel filter worked a treat, no hidious belmouths etc within the box etc. then again toyota got the induction system right, its just cams to be *played* with now >D

nothing wrong with a modded air box, poddies are overrated and actual panel filters arnt restrictive.

Standard air box(es) are very restrictive, i noticed a big difference in mine when i fitted my cone filter.

And its just a cheap one. :thumbsup:

The were changes made from the Gen II to III and they improved the oem intake as the recognised it was a bit restrictive.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers

KiwiMR2

and you really need that cold air parked up !! as soon as you start moving cold air is pushed through the air vent :D

i reakon u should get a panel filter and modify the box so it is less restrictive and get some bigger pipes to feed it from vent