Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump Leak - Carina E

Carina Chris

March 1997 Toyota Carina E 1.8GS Hatchback with 7AFE engine (73,000 miles)

The radiator has been weeping coolant for a number of years - nothing serious - but getting slightly worse now. So I've purchased a replacement radiator ready to swap out. However, today I've noticed that the floor pan directly below the water pump is wet with red coolant (rather more than what's weeping out of the rad)! Looks like I need to do both at the same time. The cam belt was replaced at 60,000 miles. Replacing the rad looks straight forward but the pump looks more fiddly. Any tips before I attempt?

Engine temp is fine and pump works well, so what has failed in the pump to cause the leak? I've always had the correct mixture of coolant so no rust coloured water, just normal pink coloured.

Is a pump refurb recommended or just a new replacement? Where can I get a good quality pump apart from Toyota who may want to charge the earth?!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links