Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Excel 2021 problem with RSA

TonyWAT

Hi everyone. I am new to this site so not sure if I have posted to the right area.

Have just purchased a new 2021 Yaris Excel. Very happy with car so far but I seem to have a problem with the Road Sign Assist function. I am nor sure if I have done anything wrong in the settings or if the system is faulty or am I expecting too much??

I have set the speed alert to 3 mile over the road sign display. Now some of the time this works ok but most times if I go past a 30 or 40 or 50 MPH sign the display in the dash comes up with the correct speed I should be doing but then it turns RED and bleeps even when I am doing well below the stated limit.  As an example, I drove through a 30MPH sign and was only doing 24. The sign on the dash was red and did not show as the normal white back round speed of 30 sign until I dropped down to 20. This applies to 30,40 & 50.

Furthermore sometimes if in a 30 zone the display seems to be lost and only shows 2 lines but I am still in a 30 area. Also it suddenly showed 10MPH.

Also according to my user manual I should receive other signs.. No entry, Motorway signs, etc… but the only ones that are ever displayed are the speed signs.

Please can anyone help with this as my dealer does not seem to know. Many thanks.

Tony

Maybe a software glitch???

I would check your Speedo against a gps reading such as a Tom Tom if you have one or download waze which has a Speedo reading on it onto your phone and connect it to your touch 2 and use android auto.

as regards the road sign recognition mine only picks up speed signs and the motorway comes up with freeway I think and yes sometimes I only get the 2 lines.

I've had my Mk4 for nearly 6 months and that seems to just be normal behaviour. The "AI" isn't very "I" when it comes to road sign recognition :laugh:  It gets it right maybe 70-80% of the time, but it often gets it wrong, missing signs or mis-reading them. It's mis-read a motorway 60 sign as 80, and sometimes picks up 80 and 120 signs from euro trucks and thinks they're mph! :laugh:  It often doesn't see signs and will e.g. continue to display 20 as the limit when I move onto a 40mph dual carriageway, or vice versa.

I find if I ignore it, e.g. it thinks I'm in a 20 but I'm doing 40, it'll get confused and eventually drop the red 20 and show the double dashes, which just indicates it doesn't know what the speed limit is I guess.

I have noticed it can catch/display other signs, e.g. Motorway and a sign that just has a car on it (No idea what that means), and some others I can't remember, but these are very short-lived and I only notice them because they show on the HUD. If I had to look at the dash I'd never see them I suspect. The Motorway one, for instance, only shows for a few seconds usually, before changing to either showing dashes, or the NSL sign, or whatever the Smart Killer Motorway gantry decides to flash up.

Like you I also find the indicator goes red a lot, suggesting an overspeed, even when I'm well under the speed limit. Have e-mailed Toyota GB and my dealer (Who have also forwarded it onto Toyota GB), but all the say is they've forwarded it to their technical people and that's all I've gotten.

I suspect it's a bug, as catlover says, but who knows when a firmware update will trickle down to us, and whether my dealer will even bother to update it (I did ask if they had any updates and they said they do it during servicing, but I have my doubts...)

It's minor enough that I don't really care about it, as I mostly ignore it anyway since it's so unreliable. I just feel sorry for the poor buggers who buy new cars that have the mandatory speed limiter enabled now that it's the law for newer cars; If it relies on systems with this level of accuracy there are going to be more accidents, not less!

I was in my Mark 4 the other day in roadworks. The sign said the speed was 40mph, the display in the car said 130mph!

It does seem a bit erratic.

• Haha 1

Hi All and thank you for your input.

I have said to my dealership that I think it’s a software problem but they don’t seem to agree. Its going in at end of the month…watch this space!!! A friend of mine has a Ford S Max and the same system works perfectly on that…. If it cannot be fixed I will turn the function off as it a nuisance and distraction rather than a help.

And yes I have checked my Speedo against my GPS its 2 miles higher.

Cyker, this is exactly what is happening to me. And I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Cars are getting so technical to the point where none of the technicians know how to fix them when they go wrong. Driverless Cars???? You must be joking🤣

• Like 1

Moved to the Yaris club.

I have had the same problem on my 2020 Launch Edition despite me having my local dealer do all available software updates over last 12 months causing me to turn off both audible and visual RSA over the speed limit warnings......so seems to be either a GPS or Ai shortfall (maybe 😴🥵)

• Like 1

It seems many of the latest futures like that one cause more trouble than help, if it’s me I will be switching off most of them and eventually keep only those who are useful in extreme situations only like auto braking etc. , road signs I can read , the car doesn’t need to remind me. 👌

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments… I have decided to turn the RSA warnings off and frankly the lane assist as well since that seems to be suffering from the same shortfall whatever that might be!!

My conclusion must be that it’s simply not good enough… ultimately it’s us the motorist and car byers who pay for these extras most of which simply do not work…it’s time manufacturers realized this and stopped introducing useless gadgets simply to bump prices up. As I’ve stated before can anyone trust driverless cars with these problems in mind?

13 minutes ago, TonyWAT said:

My conclusion must be that it’s simply not good enough… ultimately it’s us the motorist and car byers who pay for these extras most of which simply do not work…it’s time manufacturers realized this and stopped introducing useless gadgets simply to bump prices up. As I’ve stated before can anyone trust driverless cars with these problems in mind?

Have you ever seen the film "Tucker" ? It's about an American inventor who tries to modernise the automobile just after WWII, anyway ... The established carmakers ganged up on him to put him out of business, his cars were safety conscious and advanced for their time. I believe he came up with the idea of seatbelts (I could be mis remembering, though). All that, to say I think today's safety features do not directly come from manufacturers, but from government mandated safety incentives. You're right about having to pay for them, though.

• Like 1

Hi Stopeter44..How strange you should mention that… I cannot remember much about the film but I do recall it. Jeff Bridges right?? done in the 80s.  And yes you are absolutely correct in what you say. Governments demands are what’s driving these so called safety features… But if they do not work, what then? I think they will cause more accidents than they prevent. It seems manufacturers are either unable or unwilling to fix the problems (or both)  As I mentioned, I have spoken to the dealers where I bought the Yaris and have an appointment for them to “check it out”. However judging by the posts I have read, there seems little point. Thank for your input.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyWAT said:

Thanks for your comments… I have decided to turn the RSA warnings off and frankly the lane assist as well since that seems to be suffering from the same shortfall whatever that might be!!

Hi can you tell me how I can turn off lane assist on the Yaris?  I've tried all ways and can only find how to stop it linking with the cruse control.  Can't turn it off completely like I can on the RAV.

It's dangerous IMO because when it gets it wrong, which it does every day at a certain place on my wife's commute, it tries to steer her onto the other side of the road into oncoming traffic.  I'm at the point of going back to the dealers to try and get it deactivated completely.

4 hours ago, TonyWAT said:

Hi Stopeter44..How strange you should mention that… I cannot remember much about the film but I do recall it. Jeff Bridges right?? done in the 80s.  And yes you are absolutely correct in what you say. Governments demands are what’s driving these so called safety features… But if they do not work, what then? I think they will cause more accidents than they prevent. It seems manufacturers are either unable or unwilling to fix the problems (or both)  As I mentioned, I have spoken to the dealers where I bought the Yaris and have an appointment for them to “check it out”. However judging by the posts I have read, there seems little point. Thank for your input.

Yes the film features Jeff Bridges, I hadn't realised it was that old, but 80's sounds right 🤔! Doesn't make me so young !!

48 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Hi can you tell me how I can turn off lane assist on the Yaris?  I've tried all ways and can only find how to stop it linking with the cruse control.  Can't turn it off completely like I can on the RAV...

I'm at the point of going back to the dealers to try and get it deactivated completely.

I've scoured the manual and haven't seen an easy way to permanently turn it off, although I believe there is a way to deactivate each time you start the car.

To turn it off, you have to hold down the LTA button until it says it's turned off; Just pressing it toggles the lane keeping assist. You can also do it through the steering wheel menus under settings somewhere.

However it resets everytime the car is turned on again; I haven't found a way to make it stay off permanently...

This is in the Mk4 Yaris tho', so it may be different in the RAV4, but I suspect the it's the same as the newer models all seem to use fairly similar systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Yugguy1970. As Cyker said you can turn it off by holding the button on the right side of the steering wheel for 5 seconds. To help you I have included a picture and its the top right button showing a car in the lane. But it will reset everytime.  Hope this helps

SAM_3809.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyWAT said:

Hi Yugguy1970. As Cyker said you can turn it off by holding the button on the right side of the steering wheel for 5 seconds. To help you I have included a picture and its the top right button showing a car in the lane. But it will reset everytime.  Hope this helps

SAM_3809.JPG

Thanks, but it is so annoying there's no way to say "no" permanently. My sis-in-law has the Renault equivalent in her Clio V and she has it disabled, as do many with Corollas, Rav-4's, etc.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wonder if it's a government mandate or Toyota just decided that, as it's a bit weird for what would clearly be a marmite setting. Or maybe it has to be like that to fulfil some NCAP criteria?

Clearly we're not the only people annoyed by it tho' - I remember seeing a third-party module you can buy it japan for the GR Yaris that disables it and the stop-start system :laugh: 

@Cyker I just trawled through the owners manual again to see if there was a way to permanently dis-activate it. I can't find anything. There are sub-settings that can be modified, like Lane Centring Assist.

The owner's manual talks about TRC (Traction Control) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) needing to be on too, for the LTA to be active. It strikes me that TRC, which is supposed to avoid unnecessary wheel spin, and VSC which is linked to the ABS system are useful, but in a sense marginal, features. After all I've been driving cars since the 80s and back then, didn't have ABS or such, and never really felt that I needed it. OTOH, it's clear that "once" could be a lifesaver.

On that note, I had an accident once, in France, because of the dreaded "priorité à droite". It can be very complicated, in this particular case, I was exiting and autoroute onto a "B" road, and I was joining from the right with respect to the traffic flow. The vehicle in front of me was at least 50 metres ahead of me, so I didn't pay any particular mind to it and looked over my shoulder to see what was coming. 

I thought I had priority, but the car is front was a lot more cautious, and it was too late when I realised what was going on. Boom, accident, luckily no injuries, and the person I rear-ended was really sweet and calm. The pre collision system would have woken me up there and saved me a few €€€€.

(Roundabouts here are tricky, most of the time they function like the UK has them, if you are entering you don't have priority, but the default is that you do have priority when entering a roundabout. Welcome to the wonderful world of "priority à droite").

Apologies for the digression.

Yes, the Arc de Triomphe is quite famous here, or at least with all my friends who have been on it, as a sort of rite of passage for driving in Paris :laugh: 

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

The owner's manual talks about TRC (Traction Control) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) needing to be on too, for the LTA to be active. It strikes me that TRC, which is supposed to avoid unnecessary wheel spin, and VSC which is linked to the ABS system are useful, but in a sense marginal, features. After all I've been driving cars since the 80s and back then, didn't have ABS or such, and never really felt that I needed it. OTOH, it's clear that "once" could be a lifesaver.

For a long time, Toyota hybrids didn't let you turn traction control off (Prius Gen 2 had to be put into maintenance mode to disable it for dyno testing etc.). I believe that was to reduce the risk of drivetrain damage.

VSC/ESC and ABS are very much features you don't notice until you really need them. Fifth Gear's video demonstrating a car with and without it are very telling.

• Thanks 1

I still think they should have done the same test in a car with VSC just to show the differences.

The VSC in the Mk4 is pretty nifty tho', it feels like intelligent torque-vectored braking when it goes off. Basically stops the car fishtailing and tries to steer it with the brakes where you're trying to steer it with the wheel. Probably won't help much with a slide caused by traction loss, but it really tries to stop you getting to that point in the first place!

The ABS is also a lot better than it was in the Mk1 and Mk2, where if it went off you'd lose a big chunk of braking force! (Always scary when you're braking to stop then run over something slippery, like a wet drain, and suddenly the car's not braking as hard because of the ABS!)

• Thanks 1

Cheers all.  Yes, I decided to read the manual and found it.😄

• Haha 1

Definitely on mph and not kph?

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

I still think they should have done the same test in a car with VSC just to show the differences.

The VSC in the Mk4 is pretty nifty tho', it feels like intelligent torque-vectored braking when it goes off. Basically stops the car fishtailing and tries to steer it with the brakes where you're trying to steer it with the wheel. Probably won't help much with a slide caused by traction loss, but it really tries to stop you getting to that point in the first place!

The ABS is also a lot better than it was in the Mk1 and Mk2, where if it went off you'd lose a big chunk of braking force! (Always scary when you're braking to stop then run over something slippery, like a wet drain, and suddenly the car's not braking as hard because of the ABS!)

This is the best side by side comparison I can find, though it's on a 26 year old car. I'd speculate that the modern systems are far more clever in how they measure it.

• Like 1