Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Excel 2021 problem with RSA

TonyWAT

My yaris cross has road sign assist but  once it displays a sign it shows red if my km/h goes above the sign value. It should be looking at my mph not km/h. Deffo a software glitch as rsa has no option to change from km to miles.

• Like 1

It's a known issue, Toyota has a TSB

BE-00734T-TME

TSS 2.5 : Over speed audible and visual notifications revert from mph to kph while driving / every ignition cycle (UK only)

• Like 1

They don’t on mine, it stays on mph but it is a pretty useless feature as it does the red thing often.   The Lane departure feature is a nuisance too by intervening by default.  It isn’t a legal matter, some cars do and others default to “last setting” - even Corollas do.  It’s a bit of a concern because it pull really hard on the steering and in cases where you legitimately change lanes without indicating like in road work cones or open country roads, I’m not sure my mrs wouldn’t get dragged with it if she were driving.  It’s good on long motorway journeys and even the manual advises turning it off for “normal” driving so for goodness sake Toyota, update the software.

In any case it's a nonsense the lack of the possibity to switch between Km and Miles as scale for any speed related function through an user menu.  

When an UK car comes to Continental Europe or a non UK car comes in UK ( and other countries that use imperial measure ) it's important that car adopts the measure system of the country where you're driving.

Luckily all indcations are digital so it's easy to show the correct speed and distance. 

I just checked today and I can only switch between Km/l  and l/100Km.  I have no MPG option. 

Probably this option is available only on markets where Gallons and Miles units are used.

So if I would like to make a tour in UK with my own Yaris I will continue to see speed as Km/h and I can't switch to Mph. 

6 hours ago, RickyC said:

So if I would like to make a tour in UK with my own Yaris I will continue to see speed as Km/h and I can't switch to Mph. 

I have a French market Yaris (MY21.5), so LHD. I have the dash set to UK English, and I am 99% certain I can toggle between mph/mpg and kph/l per 100. I'll have to check to be totally certain, though. It could be a function of the language ? 

Maybe it depends from the choosen language or maybe I've an older firmware.

Mine is in dealer now ( produced April 22 ) and RSA is showing red at 70mph when speedo is 65Mph.

So they’ve had to order a replacement camera for our Yaris - as per bulletin highlighted by Bob.

Not only have I had issues with body panel fit and finish ( went under car today in dealer and most fixings are loose due to only securing into plastic inserts ), we now have another wait for the camera to be swapped out. All this on a car built in March/April 22! 🤷🏻‍♀️

They couldn’t do anything with loose fixings, but also found all Yaris on pitch  ( including ours ) has a sharp edge on rear bumper to rear 1/4 panel on Drivers side ( RHD ). Run your hand over that join moving from front to rear. It’s not nice.

Further update to my post above.

Dealer, along with Toyota Technical are stating the change to Kph is down to road sign positions and system thinking it’s LHD drive, thus setting at kph.

They state this is normal behaviour and will revert back to mph when system recognises signs on LH side of the road.

They are keeping the car though to check software in other ECUs. Think they’ve had the car more than we have!! 😡

I'm surprised it's still not fixed as that bug has been known about since the Mk4 was released; I was assuming they were going to fix it in a firmware update or something!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I'm surprised it's still not fixed as that bug has been known about since the Mk4 was released; I was assuming they were going to fix it in a firmware update or something!

Apparently, Toyota have been requested to release an update to correct, but they’ve refused to remove algorithm as system won’t automatically recognise if owners travel to different countries. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ugh that is such a stupid reason; Would it really be so hard for them to add a user-selectable option!?

This is sort of thing is why I greatly fear the increasing reliance on software in cars - Software bugs are often much much harder and tedious to figure out and fix than hardware problems, and if manufacturers aren't even willing to spend the time and money to sort out such a trivial problem it doesn't give me confidence for more complex and dangerous bugs (Like saaay my auto-braking trying to kill me on a semi-regular basis... :whistling1:)

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ugh that is such a stupid reason; Would it really be so hard for them to add a user-selectable option!?

This is sort of thing is why I greatly fear the increasing reliance on software in cars - Software bugs are often much much harder and tedious to figure out and fix than hardware problems, and if manufacturers aren't even willing to spend the time and money to sort out such a trivial problem it doesn't give me confidence for more complex and dangerous bugs (Like saaay my auto-braking trying to kill me on a semi-regular basis... :whistling1:)

What I can’t understand is - if RSA knows you’re in a LHD country, why don’t you have an option to change Digital Speedo to Kph?

• Like 1

So they have installed an update on our RSA system. Apparently, this one is due to be released as a service bulletin within next few days. 🤜🤛

Also confirmed Digital Speedo can be changed manually from Mph to Kph ( and Vice-versa) via setting menu in instrument cluster. Settings, Instrument cluster, Units. Not tried it yet; car still not back with us until tomorrow.. 

Car back today. It’s seems to be working OK, however, when I set overspeed to 5mph, it doesn’t seem to apply it. It defaults to 3mph. 😡😡

DRCC function - is this linked to RSA?

Found this…..

Radar Cruise Control with Road Sign Assist
YARIS(HB) Owner's Manual_Europe_MK0001_en
When this function is enabled and the system is operating in vehicle- to-vehicle distance control mode (→P.216), when a speed limit sign is detected, the recognized speed limit will be displayed with an up/down arrow. The set speed can be increased/reduced to the recog- nized speed limit by pressing and holding the “+RES”/“-SET” switch.

Year it's linked to the RSA - It's supposed to act like a shortcut to set your cruise control speed to the posted speed limit (e.g. you go from 50 zone to a 30 zone, instead of pressing -SET a million times to lower the Set Speed form 50 to 30, you can just hold it down for a sec and it'll jump from 50 to 30, and vice versa with +RES for going from e.g. 20 to 40 zone.)

However I found it really buggy, sometimes ceasing to function at all or worse setting the completely wrong speed, giving the car another chance to show off its face-smacking braking force - I suspect it's related to the speed recognition getting kph and mph mixed up but didn't bother to investigate further as it's basically useless:

It's far easier, faster and more refined/less jerky to cancel the CC, let it slow to the new speed, then re-set it (Or accelerate to the new speed and re-set it).

The only thing I liked about it is the cool green box it puts on the HUD around the (often incorrect anyway) speed limit like a targeting reticle :laugh: 

I can see why it's the only function that's disabled by default!!

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Year it's linked to the RSA - It's supposed to act like a shortcut to set your cruise control speed to the posted speed limit (e.g. you go from 50 zone to a 30 zone, instead of pressing -SET a million times to lower the Set Speed form 50 to 30, you can just hold it down for a sec and it'll jump from 50 to 30, and vice versa with +RES for going from e.g. 20 to 40 zone.)

However I found it really buggy, sometimes ceasing to function at all or worse setting the completely wrong speed, giving the car another chance to show off its face-smacking braking force - I suspect it's related to the speed recognition getting kph and mph mixed up but didn't bother to investigate further as it's basically useless:

It's far easier, faster and more refined/less jerky to cancel the CC, let it slow to the new speed, then re-set it (Or accelerate to the new speed and re-set it).

The only thing I liked about it is the cool green box it puts on the HUD around the (often incorrect anyway) speed limit like a targeting reticle :laugh: 

I can see why it's the only function that's disabled by default!!

Think I’ll disable it. My wife doesn’t even like cruise control for some reason. 🙄

Thanks for the reply. 

I'd have a play with it just so you see what it does, but I do feel like it's a solution in search of a problem :laugh: 

And if your missus doesn't even use the cruise control then it's all moot anyway...!

(But she needs to learn how to use the cruise control - If she ever takes that thing on a motorway run it's literally one of the best additions to a Yaris!! If she never goes on the motorway then fair enough :laugh: )

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'd have a play with it just so you see what it does, but I do feel like it's a solution in search of a problem :laugh: 

And if your missus doesn't even use the cruise control then it's all moot anyway...!

(But she needs to learn how to use the cruise control - If she ever takes that thing on a motorway run it's literally one of the best additions to a Yaris!! If she never goes on the motorway then fair enough :laugh: )

Easier said than done! She is insistent her foot should be firmly planted on accelerator pedal. 🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

Just send her down the M1 to London a few times - After being in the seemingly unending 50-mph zones that the We-Said-We'd-Stop-But-We're-Still-Continuing-Anyway "Smart" Motorway expansion continues to bestow on us, I'm sure she will see the light when her ankle is killing her from holding that speed for hours! :laugh: 

(NB: Just kidding - I wouldn't wish that crawl on anybody!! I usually take the A5 just to avoid it when going to visit my brother because those zones are so mind-numbing!! :wacko:)

There is brand new software update for RSA - which I had squirted in last week. It has improved the system considerably. It should be availabe around now. They added it to mine as I wouldnt accept car back without it being sorted.

Apparently, it was a pre-release update? 

• Like 1

That is welcome news indeed!

Has it reduced the wrong sign recognition from e.g. trucks and sideroads, and the false overspeed 'red' warnings?

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That is welcome news indeed!

Has it reduced the wrong sign recognition from e.g. trucks and sideroads, and the false overspeed 'red' warnings?

I don’t drive it much, but when I have, it’s been accurate every time.

I was told, the system contains an algorithm - which if it sees 4 consecutive signs on Right of car, it thinks it’s in a LHD country, so changes RSA to kph. This they say is the default and will not change the system.

Most of our dual-carriageways have signs on central reservation, so, would imagine it will change to kph, unless there are signs on left also, which will keep RSA in mph.

Can see RSA becoming a tool which will automatically keep you to speed limits - very soon. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links