Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Excel 2021 problem with RSA

TonyWAT

That's already implemented! I was saying in another thread that thank smeg I got my car before 2022 as that's when the enforced speed limiters in new cars come into force by law, despite the tech for it clearly being *nowhere* near ready.

However, it seems that cars homologated before, like the Mk4, can carry on as they are - I'm scared for the new models and the facelift ones as I absolutely do not want my car limiting my speed given how inaccurate it's been so far.

The idea of being being suddenly limited to 20mph on the motorway doesn't bear thinking about :eek: (And it HAS happened to me several times where the RSA has decided it's 20mph while I'm doing 70mph on the motorway! Thank smeg it's just advisory!)

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's already implemented! I was saying in another thread that thank smeg I got my car before 2022 as that's when the enforced speed limiters in new cars come into force by law, despite the tech for it clearly being *nowhere* near ready.

However, it seems that cars homologated before, like the Mk4, can carry on as they are - I'm scared for the new models and the facelift ones as I absolutely do not want my car limiting my speed given how inaccurate it's been so far.

The idea of being being suddenly limited to 20mph on the motorway doesn't bear thinking about :eek: (And it HAS happened to me several times where the RSA has decided it's 20mph while I'm doing 70mph on the motorway! Thank smeg it's just advisory!)

Or in a 30mph and it picks up a lorry in front with 70kph sign. 

It seems the highways agencies are not up-to-speed with where signage needs to be to make this system error proof.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I was saying in another thread that thank smeg I got my car before 2022 as that's when the enforced speed limiters in new cars come into force by law, despite the tech for it clearly being *nowhere* near ready.

Not quite correct.

Cars with new Type Approval from 6th July will be required to have a mandatory speed limiters.

All new cars will be required to have mandatory speed limiters from 6th July 2024.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:45 AM, Starensis said:

Car back today. It’s seems to be working OK, however, when I set overspeed to 5mph, it doesn’t seem to apply it. It defaults to 3mph. 😡😡

DRCC function - is this linked to RSA?

Found this…..

Radar Cruise Control with Road Sign Assist
YARIS(HB) Owner's Manual_Europe_MK0001_en
When this function is enabled and the system is operating in vehicle- to-vehicle distance control mode (→P.216), when a speed limit sign is detected, the recognized speed limit will be displayed with an up/down arrow. The set speed can be increased/reduced to the recog- nized speed limit by pressing and holding the “+RES”/“-SET” switch.

I have followed your thread from when you first collected your car regarding the panel gaps all the way to this RSA problem.  I have to admire your patients in dealing with it.  I have never purchased a new car before so I am always under the illusion that being brand new, nothing will go wrong for the next 3 years. 

I have an order placed back in April and now I feel apprehensive about my purchase. 

Ah, I thought it was April, not July! :eek: 

2 hours ago, ParisYaris said:

I have followed your thread from when you first collected your car regarding the panel gaps all the way to this RSA problem.  I have to admire your patients in dealing with it.  I have never purchased a new car before so I am always under the illusion that being brand new, nothing will go wrong for the next 3 years. 

I have an order placed back in April and now I feel apprehensive about my purchase. 

Think mine was a bit of a runt. I’ve looked at 20+ others and they were all fine. Mine is fixed now regarding profiles, plus RSA ( with software updates )  should be OK now.

It’s a great car to drive. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a design and I’m waiting for a dynamic.   The gaps on mine are what I’d expect for a Yaris type car - maybe I could hunt for imperfections if I was so inclined. I’m usually pretty aware of such things but never seen anything to be alarmed about.   I don’t need a tiny RSA symbol turning red to tell me what’s going on with the speed I can see it with the speedo and if I got hung up about such things The dealer would have mine more than me.  Would I cancel my new Cross design on the strength of reading a forum….. err, no.   My neighbours has just arrived and it’s fine.   It’s just had all season tyres so we’re selling the delivery mileage tyres.  

DB0669E4-5C54-4527-87B6-5590890C2D5B.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

I’ve got a design and I’m waiting for a dynamic.   The gaps on mine are what I’d expect for a Yaris type car - maybe I could hunt for imperfections if I was so inclined. I’m usually pretty aware of such things but never seen anything to be alarmed about.   I don’t need a tiny RSA symbol turning red to tell me what’s going on with the speed I can see it with the speedo and if I got hung up about such things The dealer would have mine more than me.  Would I cancel my new Cross design on the strength of reading a forum….. err, no.   My neighbours has just arrived and it’s fine.   It’s just had all season tyres so we’re selling the delivery mileage tyres.  

DB0669E4-5C54-4527-87B6-5590890C2D5B.jpeg

Of course quality of a vehicle is commensurate with the level of car you buy. However, I’ve driven New Aygo’s recently and all profiles were perfect. Mine - well, bonnet was very obviously out of spec ( as agreed with dealer ), plus front passenger door was high and over flush to rear door. These are basics and should never reach a customer!

Everyone has their own perception of quality, but - profiles, Electronics, Audio sound, Squeaks and rattles are all key for me to a satisfying period of ownership.

Having had mine on a ramp in dealer, we also found 4 fixings loose ( spinning into plastic inserts ) which cause bumper gapping to wings. These are all build control issues from France and should never have left the plant. I’ve worked for Toyota ( TMUK ) and could never imagine any car leaving Burnaston as mine left TMMF.

I’ve always bought Toyota/Lexus vehicles and can honestly say, the MK4 Yaris is probably the worst I’ve owned for quality. I fear for its level of durability. Time will tell. 

The above are my experiences only and imagine do not represent everyone’s experiences or perceptions.

Clearly you've never owned a Mk2! :laugh: 

The Mk4's build quality is, I would say, not as good as a japanese-made Mk1 but far better than the Mk2.

FWIW: You can tell which plant a Toyota counter balance forklift was built in without looking at the place of manufacturer information on the data plate.

Japanese ones = bulletproof.

French ones = bulletproof.

Italian ones = Get the torque wrench out as your gonna need it. 

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Clearly you've never owned a Mk2! :laugh: 

The Mk4's build quality is, I would say, not as good as a japanese-made Mk1 but far better than the Mk2.

Had a MK2 and it leaked like a sieve. Found dash body panels hadn’t been sealed. Had it sorted under the anti-perforation warranty - floor was going rusty. 🥴

On 6/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, forkingabout said:

FWIW: You can tell which plant a Toyota counter balance forklift was built in without looking at the place of manufacturer information on the data plate.

Japanese ones = bulletproof.

French ones = bulletproof.

Italian ones = Get the torque wrench out as your gonna need it. 

Yeah, I have a Honda Motorbike built in Italy. Been back 3 times for warranty issues.

I always try to buy my cars built in Japan, but they are like Rocking horse shit atm.

I was told by a Lexus salesman that there will be a Yaris Cross badged Lexus.  Maybe it will be a high spec model built in Japan.  

10 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I was told by a Lexus salesman that there will be a Yaris Cross badged Lexus.  Maybe it will be a high spec model built in Japan.  

All Lexus are built in Japan atm. Hopefully, that will never change.

Had the pleasure  of working in a couple of Lexus/Toyota plants in Japan in my time. A few years ago admittedly, but their work ethic is a complete 180 to ours. They live to work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Starensis said:

All Lexus are built in Japan atm. Hopefully, that will never change.

Had the pleasure  of working in a couple of Lexus/Toyota plants in Japan in my time. A few years ago admittedly, but their work ethic is a complete 180 to ours. They live to work.

I’ve worked in Japan.  Engineering meetings at Isuzu and Sumitomo.   Agree entirely about the work ethic.  The point I was making and hoping for was that the Lexus Cross wouldn’t come down the line in France.  

23 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I’ve worked in Japan.  Engineering meetings at Isuzu and Sumitomo.   Agree entirely about the work ethic.  The point I was making and hoping for was that the Lexus Cross wouldn’t come down the line in France.  

Now that wouldn’t be a Lexus if it did. 🥴

Good for customers but bad for the employees - You have almost no life as an employee in japan compared to the western world. Your job becomes your life almost! Compared to here they're practically slaves to their work n a lot of jobs, and they really don't look after their employees so well.

All that quality comes at a very human cost...

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Good for customers but bad for the employees - You have almost no life as an employee in japan compared to the western world. Your job becomes your life almost! Compared to here they're practically slaves to their work n a lot of jobs, and they really don't look after their employees so well.

All that quality comes at a very human cost...

Yep, not saying it’s the way the world should be. I’ve seen many Japanese lying in roads and gutters on a Friday evening after a hard week at work. Not good for their health - definitely.

Lovely country to visit though - especially in March for Sakura ( Cherry Blossom season ). Loads of outdoor parties with free food and beer. 🤪

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Must i set up road sign recognition or is by default on my yaris cross excel. 

2 hours ago, Jeremiah. said:

Must i set up road sign recognition or is by default on my yaris cross excel. 

By default, not that it is reliable and speed signs are going the way of potholes. 

• Thanks 1

It's 'automatic' - It will display the last sign it thinks it saw on the dash somewhere (Actual position depends on if it's a digital or analogue dash)

As Roy124 says it's not super accurate and often picks up signs for the wrong road! (Thank smeg mine doesn't have a hard speed limiter, as it always picks up the 20mph signs on side roads when I'm on the A406!)

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, Cyker said:

I just feel sorry for the poor buggers who buy new cars that have the mandatory speed limiter enabled now

It's the same system as now. Toyota had it before it was legally required, and there is no functional change.

RSA reads signs. If it hasn't seen a sign for a while, it falls back on GPS/using the navigation database. As these are not updated often, it can be wrong.

Near where I live, a 40 recently became a 30 with no signage (the 40 repeaters were removed). This had the effect of extending an existing 30 zone.

Where the 40 zone used to start, the car uses GPS instead, and shows 40, incorrectly.

According to the manual, it's able to show up to 3 signs simultaneously. I've only seen the motorway sign twice.

10 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Toyota had it before it was legally required,

For those cars with Type Approval before July 2022 (Yaris, Corolla, Rav4, etc) Road Sign Assist and Intelligent Speed Assistance aren't currently a legal requirement. 

They are only a legal requirement on cars with Type Approval dated from July 2022, and will be a legal requirement on all new cars from July 2024.

Just now, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm sure they were tallking about making LIMITERS mandatory

Intelligent Speed Assistance, mentioned in my previous post, is a form of speed limiter.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links