Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris boot locking mechanism

Kmac888

hi everyone.....another small problem with my 2012 Yaris.  I noticed the boot light wasn't working so I changed the bulb but that didn't help.  Then I noticed the light on the dashboard that indicates when a door is open wasn't on so I used a screwdriver to fiddle with the locking mechanism and gave it a good soaking with wd40 and it worked.....the dashboard registered the boot was open and the little light came on. I tested it 10 times by opening and closing the boot.  But.....it has stopped working again (maybe the wd40 has evaporated?) Is there any point in using something more substantial like white lithium grease or do I need a new locking mechanism? thanks for reading this

You could well e right about WD40, its a penetrating fluid not a lubricant, so has probably dried.

• Like 2

Moved to the Yaris club

53 minutes ago, Catlover said:

not a lubricant,

Yes it is. 

"Over 2,000 uses, so it is a household essential that you can use for a whole manner of things. Easy-to-use, the unique formula dries quickly and leaves a thin, clear coating when you want to protect or lubricate a surface. WD‑40 Multi-Use Spray works just as well when you want to clean away stubborn residue too."

GT-85 or Duck oil are my go to's, WD-40 doesn't lubricate that well and soon dries out (like most things, It's not as good as it used to be - due to the EU legislation), i use it to degrease and clean it still does what it was designed to do - Water Displacement

white Lithium is the one to go for, you can then lube your hinges and check straps while you're at it

• Like 1

I've just given it a massive spray of grease (high quality stuff) but it doesn't work....the boot opens and closes normally with the button hidden next to the reverse camera but no dashboard light and no boot light.  The only thing I can think of doing is to remove the plastic trim and expose more of the mechanism but the amount of grease I sprayed it should have gone everywhere 

if you mean the button next to the camera that works the boot opens normally

I think its an intermittent fault because now its working - unless all the grease I sprayed yesterday has found its way around the mechanism overnight!!!! This car is more like an Alfa Romeo than a Toyota. I miss my mk1 it was much more reliable - probably because it was built by the Japanese and not a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys

Switch is part of latch, so you may have to remove latch, clean it up, lube it and refit it.