Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

tyre!

PAISLEY1903

1300 miles on the and came out to see my rear driver side tyre flat and a screw stuck in in middle of tyre 😞  Raging!

Off to my local garage tomorrow to see if its repairable... If not... its a new tyre already!  

Dealer too far away so local garage who looked after the Kuga is where im going! 

If not repairable should I get same type of tyre as the other 3 or just any one that has the same tred. 

Hi, if you haven’t driven with flat tyre to cause damage to the walls you can use one of these kits https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-TRUCK-AGRI-TYRE-TIRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-15-STRINGS-UK-/123654898177?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 to repair your puncture and keep your tyres set. You will need an air compressor too to add some air and set correct pressure. These are very useful and done correctly can last the lifetime of the tyre. I personally use them and drive up to 100k miles after repair no problems at all. If you not able to repair, best to buy same tyre as the other 3 or replace all 4. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

If the screw is still in the middle of the tyre I be surprised if it can not be repaired.  If it was me and I had to buy a new tyre I’d try to get the same manufacture’s tyre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ernieb said:

If the screw is still in the middle of the tyre I be surprised if it can not be repaired.  If it was me and I had to buy a new tyre I’d try to get the same manufacture’s tyre.

Thank you. hopefully can get repaired!   Yeah I agree I will tell garage to get me the tyre to match.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the tyre repaired, if not you really need to have an identical tyre as a replacement. At a minimum they should always be matched pairs on an axle. 

One little note, I had a puncture on my C-HR which wrote the tyre off. Kwikfit had the right tyre - at just under £200. I realised afterwards that if I'd ordered the tyre on the Internet, rather cm just buy it at the depot, I'd have saved £30. It was ten minutes before they closed and I was on holiday in Cornwall so was stuck. 

• Like 1

Asda Tyres can get it fitted for £129.40 I will just say to garage if can't repair it what price I can get it for... see what say !

31 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, if you haven’t driven with flat tyre to cause damage to the walls you can use one of these kits https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-TRUCK-AGRI-TYRE-TIRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-15-STRINGS-UK-/123654898177?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 to repair your puncture and keep your tyres set. You will need an air compressor too to add some air and set correct pressure. These are very useful and done correctly can last the lifetime of the tyre. I personally use them and drive up to 100k miles after repair no problems at all. If you not able to repair, best to buy same tyre as the other 3 or replace all 4. 
Good luck 

I have always thought that those kits are for emergency use only until you can get the tyre properly repaired at a tyre fitters so that they can see if there is any damage inside. However as you say I do know people who have used them with success. Not sure  I would feel confident at 70 or 80 mph on the motorway with one of those repairs.

22 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

I have always thought that those kits are for emergency use only until you can get the tyre properly repaired at a tyre fitters so that they can see if there is any damage inside. However as you say I do know people who have used them with success. Not sure  I would feel confident at 70 or 80 mph on the motorway with one of those repairs.

I use the same policy, DIY plug to get home and tyre fitter for the permanent repair. Use a proper independent tyre fitter, not big chain crooks who will claim it's unsafe because they're only interested in selling new tyres. If it's in the middle of the tread and not a large tear then it's usually OK.

2 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

It will depend of where and how bad the puncture is, any structural damage etc, usually if there is anything wrong after the repair the tyre will change its shape and bulge, if that’s the case best to replace the tyre no doubt. Once its installed properly it makes a good seal and something like a knot from inside plus the pressure keeps it in place., on my one I don’t even use a glue. You can always get it repaired by the garage if you worried about it. But these things are really helpful, most of the times you don’t  need a spare tyre, just fix the puncture and go. 👍 

I've had a few puncture repairs and they were all £20+, but they were big chain and frankly not many of them will do repairs as it's not economical.

I don't know if it's common among other Toyota dealers but my local dealer repairs customers punctures for Free. Unless of course its unrepairable 

Toyota dealer usually do it for free but not sure if you have to have a service plan. However last time I tried to use this service there was a two week wait to be seen so not practical

• Like 1

You don't need to have a service plan; There're no conditions attached to the free puncture repair, other than the car is a Toyota, AFAIK. However, I had the same experience when trying to use that 'service' - I think they say they offer it just to sound good, but in reality nobody can wait 2 weeks for a puncture to be repaired - The tyre would be ruined by then! And you certainly wouldn't want to drive around on a space saver for that long...

The problem is you can't rely on it - some dealers do honour the free repair, but others use the oh we're full you need to book it in x weeks time excuse, which is basically saying No. There's no way to know without contacting them individually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

You don't need to have a service plan; There're no conditions attached to the free puncture repair, other than the car is a Toyota, AFAIK. However, I had the same experience when trying to use that 'service' - I think they say they offer it just to sound good, but in reality nobody can wait 2 weeks for a puncture to be repaired - The tyre would be ruined by then! And you certainly wouldn't want to drive around on a space saver for that long...

The problem is you can't rely on it - some dealers do honour the free repair, but others use the oh we're full you need to book it in x weeks time excuse, which is basically saying No. There's no way to know without contacting them individually.

Don’t even have a space saver 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Don’t even have a space saver 

When we were musing out loud about ordering a space saver, our dealer, being in France, gave a "gallic" shrug and said "what's the point", The only time I tried to use the spare on my current car, I couldn't get the alloy rims off the hubs!

I’ve had this on a previous car and used a very thin skim of copper grease on the mating surfaces, just enough to enable them to release.

I called the assistance service, via the insurance company, there's no AA or RAC here, and of course when I have the new Toyota I'll have a similar service via Toyota. The fellow came quite quickly and with help from a 2 x 4 (or some similar cross section of wood) whacked the wheel off. The wheels hadn't been rotated in a long time and the allow had "bonded" to the hubs. Nowadays I run summer and winter tyres, so I shouldn't have such an issue.

When ive had rims seized to the hub I've used a rubber mallet to hit the wheel round the edges, breaks the seal without damaging the wheel.

Then yes, some anti seize copper grease when you put it back on.

• Like 1

Yeah that's always been an issue with alloy wheels and ungreased steel hubs - They galvanically weld themselves together. My old Fiesta had the same problem with its spark plugs :laugh:  You'd think they'd learn by now!

It does annoy me when people and companies try to play down the importance of a spare wheel. Have they never been stranded because of a flat tyre or wheel damage? I should invite them to drive around London for a few months! :laugh: 

It's not as bad now as the AA and RAC often have universal spare wheels, or will just tow you with their fancy new trolley (The AA guy who rescued my Mk2 when its gearbox committed suicide was especially proud of it, telling me all about it! :laugh: ), but I've had several punctures and wheel damage scenarios where no amount of tyre goop or even a plug would have helped, and a spare wheel was the only thing that saved me.

Then again these are probably the same mind of people who have the gall to say Smart Motorways are just as safe without a hard shoulder and with randomly varying speed limits... (Hint: They aren't!)

• Like 2

Completely agree.  Tyre weld isn't going to fix a shredded tyre blown doing 70 on the motorway.

I suspect they get those cheap inflators from China for barely a £5 each in bulk and a few quid for a can of gunk, considerably cheaper to put onboard than a spare wheel and tyre = more profit. Simple as that.

8 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

I suspect they get those cheap inflators from China for barely a £5 each in bulk and a few quid for a can of gunk, considerably cheaper to put onboard than a spare wheel and tyre = more profit. Simple as that.

I think it's much more to do with weight and test emissions, of course it never hurts to cut the costs as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links