Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm Sounding randomly? 2015 Rav 4

Sioo7

31 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Sorry to hear that, I'd think the sensor is pretty robust but you never know.  I think Philip suggested that you might want to check out the wiring to see if that was still making good contact.

Im as you say baffled . Have i had two faults perhaps which is fooling me?

The old vehicle Battery was definitely faulty and in fact the analyser confirmed that again. 

Toyota say the internal sensor never goes wrong and according to their parts guy they have never issued one to the workshop. 

I need to swap it out but the cost of £250 from Toyota is crazy hence im trying to prove before replacement.  

Does anyone know of a damaged Gen 4 Rav being parted? it would be worth buying a used one just to try it.

23 hours ago, Sioo7 said:

I took the Rav for a longer run and then analysed the battery condition. It reported 699 on a 740ah battery 

This gave me some suspicion, so I took my RAV out for a 10+10 minute errand dumping the leaves from the garden (i.e. two starts with two runs of 10 min), and then put my Battery tester on it.  Reading 98% State of Charge (my tester reports in %age rather than Ah). Very surprised.  Left the car for about 10hr and measured again.  Reading 40%. (REM Must put my CTEK on it).

If your analysis was a short while after the run, it may have given you an invalid measurement.  Try giving it a few hours for the "fizz" from charging to go away, and then measure.

11 minutes ago, IanML said:

This gave me some suspicion, so I took my RAV out for a 15+15 minute errand dumping the leaves from the garden (i.e. two starts with two runs of 15 min), and then put my battery tester on it.  Reading 98% (my tester reports in %age rather than Ah). Very surprised.  Left the car for about 10hr and measured again.  Reading 40%.

If your analysis was a short while after the run, it may have given you an invalid measurement.  Try giving it a few hours for the "fizz" from charging to go away, and then measure.

I have left it 5 hours and the level maintained around 668 . which reports the Battery as in good health. I dont know how accurate the analysers are really to give you the exact rating. also this is tested in the car so that will have a bearing.

2 hours ago, Sioo7 said:

Im as you say baffled . Have i had two faults perhaps which is fooling me?

The old vehicle battery was definitely faulty and in fact the analyser confirmed that again. 

Toyota say the internal sensor never goes wrong and according to their parts guy they have never issued one to the workshop. 

I need to swap it out but the cost of £250 from Toyota is crazy hence im trying to prove before replacement.  

Does anyone know of a damaged Gen 4 Rav being parted? it would be worth buying a used one just to try it.

Phew i found a used one which ive now ordered which includes the whole assembly 

FYI Toyota part number is 8973242030 description Sensor Theft control. I will swap it out and see what happens . 

• Like 1

Hope that’s a fix for you if not you’ll have to look at the wiring and see if there is anything that might need crimping up or re wiring. A loose termination will trigger the alarm as it will see it as an attack.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Hope that’s a fix for you if not you’ll have to look at the wiring and see if there is anything that might need crimping up or re wiring. A loose termination will trigger the alarm as it will see it as an attack.

Once i have it all a part i will give it a good going over. 

Time to switch from the Rav for now to My BMW Z4 3.5i 2010 . ( my little weekend toy)  Its gearbox out and Clutch replacement day 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Sioo7 said:

Once i have it all a part i will give it a good going over. 

Time to switch from the Rav for now to My BMW Z4 3.5i 2010 . ( my little weekend toy)  Its gearbox out and Clutch replacement day 🙂 

I hope you’ve got somewhere warm to do that I needed to cut something on the bandsaw yesterday and did not bother putting the heater on as it was a 5 a min job, I thought my hand was going to stick to the cast iron table it was very cold.

1 minute ago, ernieb said:

I hope you’ve got somewhere warm to do that I needed to cut something on the bandsaw yesterday and did not bother putting the heater on as it was a 5 a min job, I thought my hand was going to stick to the cast iron table it was very cold.

Hmm not really , 4 post ramp with a workshop that faces North. I have 3 layers on. Plan to get started on that in just over an hour. My mate has his car on it at the moment. 

I’m of an age when those sorts of tricks are mostly behind me, seen that, done that got the tee shirt and my creaky knees and tricky back are the things that remind me. Have fun, 😁

As your fault is so intermittent (you thought it was fixed earlier but proved to be otherwise) I would say please do not discount the bonnet switch. I had the same type of issue on my Corolla T-Sport and it was the bonnet contracting and moving slightly that triggered the alarm. It needed just a millimetre or two of repositioning (raising up) to contact the bonnet more fully. It was more prone if I returned and opened and closed a door after leaving it. That is when it would usually sound, typically after 30 minutes or so.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, Mooly said:

As your fault is so intermittent (you thought it was fixed earlier but proved to be otherwise) I would say please do not discount the bonnet switch. I had the same type of issue on my Corolla T-Sport and it was the bonnet contracting and moving slightly that triggered the alarm. It needed just a millimetre or two of repositioning (raising up) to contact the bonnet more fully. It was more prone if I returned and opened and closed a door after leaving it. That is when it would usually sound, typically after 30 minutes or so.

Correct me if im wrong . The alarm does not sound if i turn the internal movement sensor off. If the bonnet catch was at fault i would be expecting it to still sound even with the internal sensor turned off?

5 hours ago, Sioo7 said:

Correct me if im wrong . The alarm does not sound if i turn the internal movement sensor off. If the bonnet catch was at fault i would be expecting it to still sound even with the internal sensor turned off?

That's correct but given the intermittent nature of the problem you need to be 100% sure the alarm never sounds when the internal sensor is off. It is so easy to be fooled into thinking you have found something when its actually just the intermittent nature of the problem making you think that.

In other words test it for long enough with the internal sensor off to be sure it really does not ever go off randomly.  

Well the new part has arrived and I've exchanged the theft warning sensor control and both sensors so let's see what happens . 

The two interface  circuits are different as mine has a sunroof . Time to install it back in the car . 

16386251907447544313684415593764.jpg

• Like 1

All back in and alarm tested . Interior Movement sensor works as I set the alarm with the wife in the car. 

I've set the alarm and it's on test, now all I can do is wait. Hopefully no more false alarms. Time will tell 

• Like 1

Lets hope that's a fix for you. As you say, it needs time to test it all now. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ernieb said:

🤞🤞🤞🤞

18 hours in and no false alarm as yet. 

I think it would have gone off by now so do I claim its resolved ? 

• Like 1

One swallow does not make a Spring but it does look good 👍 

11 minutes ago, ernieb said:

One swallow does not make a Spring but it does look good 👍 

Hopefully.  I did resolder all the connections and continuity check all the circuit as well at the time also  . 

• Like 2

Well day 4 of testing with the car being used normally.

No sign of a false alarm. Car behaving as it should be.

Dare i say that i've fixed it? 

• Like 1

No, you must continue testing indefinitely. The minute you declare success the alarm will go off again. That's just the way life is! 😉

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

No, you must continue testing indefinitely. The minute you declare success the alarm will go off again. That's just the way life is! 😉

I tend to agree lol

Say nothing but accept that your getting a good nights sleep 😴 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whispers , its still behaving , continuing to test in case murphy's  law kicks in 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links