Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat nav

Anne Glew

I recently purchased a 16 Reg Toyota Auris. At first the sat nav spoke to me. But within the last couple of weeks it doesn’t speak to me during a set journey. The volume is up at max. On the screen there is a cross through the sound and when I press it nothing happens. Toyota say it could cost me £114 + vat to put right as it’s not covered by the warranty which is ridiculous. Is there is anybody that can help. 

Where did you buy it, and when?. Was it a private sale or from Toyota dealership or a recognized garage.

As above. Presumably it wouldn't have been Toyota, the manufacturer, who quoted the £114, but a Toyota dealer?

As the car is around five years old, I suppose the warranty wouldn't have been the 5 year new car warranty, but a used car warranty. is it a Toyota used car warranry, a dealer's warranty, or a third party warranty?

It is also important you know what coverage the warranty provides. For example, from the following it doesn't seem that the Toyota used car warranty covers multimedia equipment - https://toyotadirect.usedcars.toyota.co.uk/en/program_benefits

More specifics would be helpful.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:54 PM, Anne Glew said:

The volume is up at max.

On the screen there is a cross through the sound and when I press it nothing happens.

I have to say that I hate the menus of the sat nav, the volume controls are more difficult than they need to be.  

It seems that: if I am adjusting the volume of music (e.g. pressing the + button on the steering wheel), and then the navigation system starts to speak, the volume of the navigation is adjusted, not the music. Given the lag/delay between the unit receiving a command (e.g. "Turn volume down") and it responding, this gets frustrating, especially when driving, and even more so when relying on the navigation.  There shouldn't be any doubt in the user whether pressing the + button is turning the radio up, or the volume of the navigation.

So I have experiences when the navigation suddenly shouts at me (because I was previously trying to turn the volume of the radio up), and when the navigation is inaudibly quiet (because I was previously trying to turn the volume of the radio down).

As I remember it, the button/icon of a speaker with a red line through it indicates that the navigation sound is muted.  Pressing it should un-mute it, and return the volume to its previous level.  I don't know what happens if you try to un-mute the navigation and when the volume's previous level is set to zero, I'd think that you need to turn the volume up somehow.

(Note to Toyota's software designers: this ought to be as easy as: Menu > Settings > Sat Nav > Volume )

And also as I remember it, the volume wasn't a simple scale 1-5, the navigation volume is relative to music; there's no point whispering to turn left in 100 yards if you're playing Motorhead, nor does it need to shout if you've got Radio 3 quietly on in the background.

@Anne Glew It would be worth finding some time to carefully go through the various menus in the unit to try to see what the navigation's volume level is set to, and to find a level that's higher than zero.

As Mike @FROSTYBALLS says, some other details would be helpful - such as: does the radio still work, and can you adjust the volume?  Can you use your phone with the bluetooth pairing through the car?  Can you adjust the volume of a phone call using the +/- buttons?

Let us know how you get on, if you're still stuck I'll see if I can take some photos of the settings that need checking.

• 2 weeks later...

@Anne Glew What model of head unit do you have in your Auris?

My 2016 Auris Excel hybrid has this:

Toyota Touch 2 with Go

A1CF28ED-E308-4A6D-86D3-57883FD529BE.jpeg

Edit: mines a Toyota Touch 2 with Go Plus. 

A 2016 Auris would have the Touch 2 with Go.