Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise from rear off-side passenger area

FiestaRed

This topic gives me hope, namely the 13th reply by the topic starter: rear plastic trim. But I'm not sure how to remove it. Looks like it can be simply pulled out, no screws or anything?..

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 8:35 AM, Red_Corolla said:

Mine does that. I think it's the tonneau cover. There's quite a lot of play in the slots where the lugs sit while it's extended and it can flap around in there causing some tapping. I'm experimenting with ways to quieten it. As you say, it's only an issue in town going over the bumps & potholes.

I’ve noticed that my tonneau cover also does it. It was rolled in when I picked up the car and for some reason I was under the impression that it electrically rolled out when the boot is closed (too many YouTube auto reviews watched, was probably on some other car). Then the other day I came back to the car and realized that rear glass is not dark enough and I could see my mountain bike helmet. I think I will limo tint the rear windows as the cover isn’t something I used to after my SUV.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I read this thread a while ago and couldn't actually get a knocking sound fixed on my Corolla Tourer. Tried so many things (rear load cover, dampening some panels etc.) but nothing actually helped. Basically i experienced the same thing like you guys... when the chassis goes over a bump and the body flexed i hear a knocking sound from the rear right corner. I was doing intense testing and what lead me to the solution was a occasion where i transported large Speakers in the back and the rear sets where folded down... i could hear any knocking anymore. After a month i found the thing that knocks... it is the rear seat latching mechanism. To test it just take some plastic and knock with it on the latch - it will give you the same sound. The seat obviously flexes/moves when the car goes over a bump and since there is some play in the mechanism it causes a knock. Since there isn't any sound dampening material in the rear of the car the small knock resonates a lot in the whole corner. My temporary and not final solution is that i took a duct tape and isolated the latch with a thicker layer... and magically the knock if gone. If i ever have the time i will add some sound dampening material to the rear of the car. Not sure yet how to disassemble the rear panels. Hope that it helps at least someone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

@FiestaRed have you still got this rattle sound?

If so you might look into the anti-roll bar bushes and possibly the shock absorbers too.  Reason is my March 22 Corolla had a knocking sound coming from the drivers door area.  After removing all possible items that could cause the rattle it was still there.

Had Toyota look into it and:

1. Claim was anti roll bar bushes - sop were replaced, but the rattle still there (this was a upgrade due to customers claiming rattle noises and di stop them)

2. Shock absorbers  -  had both front shocks replaced - this cured the rattle i was getting.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, Tech429 said:

@FiestaRed have you still got this rattle sound?

If so you might look into the anti-roll bar bushes and possibly the shock absorbers too.  Reason is my March 22 Corolla had a knocking sound coming from the drivers door area.  After removing all possible items that could cause the rattle it was still there.

Had Toyota look into it and:

1. Claim was anti roll bar bushes - sop were replaced, but the rattle still there (this was a upgrade due to customers claiming rattle noises and di stop them)

2. Shock absorbers  -  had both front shocks replaced - this cured the rattle i was getting.

Still there unfortunately although I must admit I don't notice it so much now. I guess it's become part of the family.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:54 PM, FiestaRed said:

Still there unfortunately although I must admit I don't notice it so much now. I guess it's become part of the family.

Unless it is very apparent it is from the back area I would look into the anti-roll bar and suspension... as sound has an amazing way of travelling to other areas of a car from where it actually is.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 10:15 AM, Martin Fecik said:

I read this thread a while ago and couldn't actually get a knocking sound fixed on my Corolla Tourer. Tried so many things (rear load cover, dampening some panels etc.) but nothing actually helped. Basically i experienced the same thing like you guys... when the chassis goes over a bump and the body flexed i hear a knocking sound from the rear right corner. I was doing intense testing and what lead me to the solution was a occasion where i transported large speakers in the back and the rear sets where folded down... i could hear any knocking anymore. After a month i found the thing that knocks... it is the rear seat latching mechanism. To test it just take some plastic and knock with it on the latch - it will give you the same sound. The seat obviously flexes/moves when the car goes over a bump and since there is some play in the mechanism it causes a knock. Since there isn't any sound dampening material in the rear of the car the small knock resonates a lot in the whole corner. My temporary and not final solution is that i took a duct tape and isolated the latch with a thicker layer... and magically the knock if gone. If i ever have the time i will add some sound dampening material to the rear of the car. Not sure yet how to disassemble the rear panels. Hope that it helps at least someone.

Martin already gave the solution. Mine is fixed as well.

• 5 months later...

The sound comes from rear suspension, you have to adjust from shock mount , stabilizer bar and link . I have tein springs not oem 

I have started to notice a rattle sound from my parcel shelf too... most annoying, but probably the cold weather.

Will look into this at weekend.

• 2 months later...

I had also experienced a rattle, coming from the boot door, when the back tires go over imperfections or speed bumps. I manage to reproduce it when the door is closed and giving the door a push down below the back window. Thanks to this thread I’ve put foam tape where the plastic trim meets the window and the rattle seems to be cured!

I’m also having the thump sound from the right b pillar. If some have found a solution to it, because I have been able to identify where it comes from but weirdly a slam closing of the front door fixes it for some time 😄

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links