Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dab roof aerial on mk1 yaris

Kezzy1

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing a DAB aerial to my yaris mk1. 

Removed old one, screwed new it on but radio shows 'antenna error'. Bought another + same problem. 

The original factory fitted fm aerial has 2 cables: the mini coax + another black cable that connects to a socket on another cable. It has some foam around it so i initially thought it was 12v power. However no voltage with my multimeter. Then i thought it was earth but again i cannot get low resistance to the chasis. 

Also tried temporary connections with aerial in inside so i could make it sure touches earth + 12v . Still no go 

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

What part did you change, just the whip on the roof ?

No, the entire aerial and wiring. Old one was only fm/mw/analogue  New one is DAB/ fm etc

I presume old one is passive. New is active.

Oem is passive on the mk 1 just a coax to the radio

what aerial did you buy ?

Did you wire it back to the radio ?

The DAB aerial will require power. On my Corrado I've stuck it to the screen taking a ground from the A pillar. The passive roof aerial remains and is for normal radio

On 11/20/2021 at 5:11 PM, flash22 said:

Oem is passive on the mk 1 just a coax to the radio

what aerial did you buy ?

Did you wire it back to the radio ?

No, i have 2 cables on my factory fitted fm aerial . One is coax other maybe earth ?

For DAB you have to change the Aerial completely, a DAB and FM/AM aerial has a power feed and 2 coax cables on for DAB and the other for FM

Post pictures of the new aerial and the old aerials

what Radio do you have

Some pics for you lovely people on this yaris mk1.

What is the black cable in the foam ? It plugs into a socket behind the radio.

Is it ground ? If so, is the roof panel not earthed and do i need a wire to connect to this socket ? 

20211125_104154_copy_1008x490.jpg

20211125_105104_copy_490x1008.jpg

20211125_104008_copy_1008x490.jpg

Screenshot_20211125-092655_eBay_copy_270x275.jpg

Just pull the 3 wires from the aerial to the radio wire the red 12v to the REM (blue or blue/white depending on the radio)

not sure what the black wire is - more than likely related to the interior light

Flash22, yes tried that but getting antenna error. Not sure what is going on with this. 

What radio do you have ??

What make is the aerial ? Some DAB aerials are 5v and require a setting to be changed on the radio

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

What radio do you have ??

What make is the aerial ? Some DAB aerials are 5v and require a setting to be changed on the radio

The radio is a pioneer x840dab. 

The aerial is unbranded from eBay. Advertised as requiring 12v.

Go into the setup menu and check the DAB ANT PW setting, passive aerials need it off, active need it on (5V is injected up the DAB coax)

57 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Go into the setup menu and check the DAB ANT PW setting, passive aerials need it off, active need it on (5V is injected up the DAB coax)

Tried power on + power off. Still no go. 

Found the little white plug/socket/foam is 10.1v. Very odd supply i would have thought. Tried that + the cigarette lighter 12v + earth and no nothing. 

Wonder if i may have blown the aerial amp ? But that is 2 aerials now not working, same aerial, 2 suppliers. 

The 12V rem from the radio is enough, is the blue wire from the radio disconnected (bullet connector)

never had a problem with  Connects2 aerials for DAB but they are not cheap

eg. CT27UV71

the alternative is to use the oem aerial and a dab splitter

eg.CT27AA136

PS. the aerial gets its ground from the outer shield of the FM aerial, so the FM and DAB need to be connected

57 minutes ago, flash22 said:

PS. the aerial gets its ground from the outer shield of the FM aerial, so the FM and DAB need to be connected

Did not know this. Will try it at first light !

Plugged in fm aerial (for ground), selected aerial=power on, 12v connected, dab smb connected, still antenna error !Bugger.

Think I'll ask my friendly car radio/alarm place if they can test the dab aerial. 

All working now. Big thanks to flash22 as i thought i was going a bit mad. 

I returned 2 of the DAB aerials with the red cable as i could not get them to work. They did not have an instructions or labels on the cores. Maybe it is a bad batch on eBay ?  2 different sellers. 

This one (attached pic) worked first time. All cores labelled - for instance it says 12v on the power cable. 

The yaris mk1 was a dream to hide the cables. Panels popped off easily with hand pressure. When came to under the dash / over the footwell, i used some foam pads to get it out of the way. 

Screenshot_20211201-174105_eBay.jpg

• Like 1