Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lane keeping assist

Woofwoof

Hi

Has anyone been using the lta (lane tracing assist)?

is it good at centering you in the lane on the motorway?

does it hook up well?

does it cut out often?

I haven’t been impressed with such systems on vag group rentals but my uncles Volvo is amazing and my friends Hyundai and rental Kia’s have all been pretty good

whats Toyotas like?

I did a test drive and It didn’t hook up

sales rep claimed it would be looked at (it was approved used cos they had no demos) by the service dept

It's not much cop, but good enough to keep you on the road while you open your pop or sunglasses case (not that I'd ever do anything so irresponsible 😇). My perception is that it's a little late and a little harsh in reacting to bends. It also seems to want to position the car slightly left of centre within the lane, but could just be that my judgement is off.

Thanks

i don’t need self driving but as I do a lot of motorways the tiny adjustments tire you out

a good lane keeping system makes the journey a lot less tiring

hyundai Kia system also keeps you a drop to the left but that was abroad (drive on the right)

• Like 2

Not keen on it. It tends to keep the car toward the right of the lane and almost constantly twitches the wheel.

I've not had experience with other cars, so I don't know Toyota's is any worse than others. I feel like it wants me to hug the left hand side of the lane, which is scary when there's a HGV next to you. I don't use it in heavy traffic.

It only works with cruise control.

have not used it , when on previous cars a lot of effort was required to swap lanes without indicating i thought it was unsafe if you had to change lanes quickly in an emergency , the steering resisted you and thus that split second could be fatal so i am to be convinced.  

It's not bad - I rate it the same as a learner driver on their first motorway trip :laugh: 

I use it any opportunity I get because I still find it fun, but it works best on well-maintained motorways.

In town and on A-roads, it will often turn off for a few seconds without beeping, so you really do have to keep your hands on the wheel! It also can't handle anything more than a gentle curve and will start to follow the curve then just suddenly cut out and drive straight on if you don't take control!

To be fair it's not really designed for such things - Although I do use it in particularly boring traffic jams, the system is far more at home on the motorway, where it works pretty well.

However, it does get confused easily, e.g. if there are tar snakes or lines missing, and do stupid things. It also gets defeated by sun glare. Because of that you have to still be alert - There are sections on the M25 where it will suddenly lurch to the left for a split second and then turn itself off for a second because of how they repainted the lines when they converted it to a 'Smart Motorway' confuses it. Thankfully it doesn't ever turn so much that you don't have time to catch it, as long as you are paying attention (I sometimes wonder if it does it deliberately to make sure you're really paying attention :laugh: )

It doesn't put in a lot of torque and is easily overridden by the holding the wheel firmly or turning where you want to go; It just feels like tramlining in a rut.

Definitely not even close to autonomous driving, but as an assist on long journeys it works very well - My arms are much less tired when on long motorway runs thanks to it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Definitely not even close to autonomous driving, but as an assist on long journeys it works very well - My arms are much less tired when on long motorway runs thanks to it!

That's nice to know !

I think variable is the best description.  Look at the display and unless you have the bright blue lines it is not good.  

Initially it seemed to aim for a wheel in the left gutter 😁 and also seemed to weave as if seeking a centre line. 

Where road markings are clear and well defined it works better.  Where one line is barely visible it can drift and at night, especially in rain, it does not work at all. 

I agree it can also fight you which in itself is also tiring.  Regarding opening your pop can, when it is working it will allow hands off for about 14 seconds. 

Finally a question I have asked before but  not had a good answer.  I occasionally get a white dashed line down the centre of the display.  Any ideas? 

• Like 1

Yeah, those double-blue lines are the key, not one, only two!

Sometimes when you turn it on, even with the two blue lines, it does seem as if it's going to lurch off the road, but most of the time I find that's just it finding its bearings and it'll settle down once it has and work properly (That's one of the reasons why it's like a first-time learner to me :laugh: ). Fighting it just makes it take longer, but I find if you get the two blue lines the system can be trusted not to throw you off the road immediately (Maybe eventually, but you have enough time to stop it doing that then :laugh: )

The white dashed/dotted line, if you mean what I think you mean, should always be accompanied by a car symbol - This means it is following the car in front instead of the road. Again this is fine on motorways with their gentle curves, but keep control if you're on a town or A-road, as it will *literally* follow the car in front, as in if the car in front goes round a tighter corner the LTA will cut the corner to keep the car in front of it, rather than follow the car round the corner!

• Thanks 2

Cyker, re follow my leader, now you mentioned that it could be what I experienced. 

It does not happen often and I haven't noticed a car symbol but that could be because it is almost transient. 

Early I I remember practically following a truck into a filling station.  That could have been as you say. 

What conditions are necessary for that to happen?  

TBH I'm not sure - I think if it sees a car but can't figure out where the road is (Due to e.g. shadows or scruffy lines) it falls back to the follow mode, but sometimes it doesn't and just disables itself, and sometimes I have seen it with the twin blue lines *and* the 3 dots as well... (Whenever I've noticed it do that it's been on a dead straight road so hard to know whether it was following the car in front or the road!(

I think the normal road follow tracking is done with cameras, while the car follow is done by radar, so maybe it switches based on how confident it is of the input of each system...?

The follow mode does seem more common at low speed and heavy traffic in town, but the system seems to generally favour the lane tracing more, as I've had the system just go off even with a car in front it could have followed.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2021 at 9:39 PM, Woofwoof said:

Has anyone been using the lta (lane tracing assist)?

is it good at centering you in the lane on the motorway?

I used it for the first time, the other day, and found that it was very useful on the autoroute. LTA & ACC are particularly handy, IMO, on two lane stretches of motorway, where there is significant fast moving traffic.

It means I can wait in a slower moving "pocket" and then move into the overtaking lane when the nose to tail loonies have gone past, and the ACC immediately picks up the pace.

Without ACC I would cut the cruise control and the LTA relieves tension in the shoulders, because, surprisingly, all those micro adjustments to trajectory add up. I found it less smooth than if I did it myself, but certainly competant.

Peter, when I am sure that the LTA is 'locked on' I have tried hands off and the car obediently maintains lane around gentle bends.  It will do this for about 14 seconds before switching off. 

I wonder exactly how it detects I am not holding the wheel.  It frequently tells me to hold the wheel when I am still holding it. 

Would it recognise a dummy hand🤔

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Would it recognise a dummy hand🤔

I dunno, I wonder if it's based on conductivity, or capacitance or some electrical quality that would change when holding the steering wheel ?

It works on pressure pulling the wheel so you have to hold your hand onto the wheel

or you can tape something onto the side of the wheel (like a water bottle) to put gentle pressure on it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links