Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid 2021 — TPMS takes a long time to read?

baxuz

So, finally got the Yaris I ordered back in July!  🥳 Apart from a loose USB port it drives like a charm 🙂

One thing I noticed is that the TPMS takes about 2 minutes to get a reading after the car starts up. Not sure if this was the behaviour before I changed the tires as it came with summer ones.

Is this normal or could it be something that happened with the tire change? 

IMG_20211121_134101.jpg

IMG_20211121_134127.jpg

Mine takes about the same, although I find if I'm sat stationary it seems to take forever - Seems to sync up faster if I'm moving, but might just be an illusion!

The TPMS sensors will normally only transmit regularly (between maybe 30 and 120 seconds) when the wheel is rotating. They will transmit when not rotating if a significant change in pressure is detected etc. This is to save Battery life.

• Like 3

Ahh, that makes sense! I just assumed they'd get pinged a wakeup signal when the car is turned on, but if they require motion to activate that makes sense.

Still, does make me wish they'd made them kinetic-powered like certain kinds of wristwatch and torch, so I wouldn't need to budget for £300+ to replace them in 8-10 years when the batteries run out!

2 hours ago, Chris Nutt said:

The TPMS sensors will normally only transmit regularly (between maybe 30 and 120 seconds) when the wheel is rotating. They will transmit when not rotating if a significant change in pressure is detected etc. This is to save battery life.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks!

Another related question. While going over the settings on the MID to see what's available, I selected "Setting Pressure", thinking it would show me some, well, settings. Alas the TPMS warning light flashed 3 times and since then I can't get any readings. Seems that was the initialization procedure... Honestly sounds like a bad translation. It should be called "Initialize TPWS" like it says in the manual. "Setting Pressure" is nonsensical: The pressure of the setting?

Reading the manual it says on page 340:

Drive straight (with occasional left and right turns) at approximately 40 km/h (25 mph) or more for approximately 10 to 30 minutes.

Initialization is complete when the position of each tire is determined and the inflation pressure of each tire is displayed on the multi-information display. Initialization may take longer than approximately 1 hour in certain situations, such as when the vehicle is stopped for a a long time at traffic lights, etc.

Since I won't be doing any driving right now, should I reinitialize the system once again before starting to drive?

Seems honestly kind of weird that I need to drive for an hour in the city, or 40km/h on a straight road for up to half an hour. I honestly don't even know where I can find a straight road where I can drive at that speed for up to 30 minutes! Not to mention that the engine break-in guidelines warn against driving at constant speeds for prolonged periods...

Yeah ignore that, just drive around and it'll sync up eventually! You don't need to reset it again, it should 'pick up' where it left off when you next drive it.

(That said if it doesn't sync up by the time you get to where you're going when you next drive, you may need to reset it again!)