Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - sound deadening - is this the case????????

Lawnmowerman

I was reading a test of the RAV 4 in Parkers where two items caught my eye.

"For the last word in refinement from a RAV4, the Plug-in Hybrid is more than just a bigger Battery. Toyota has added sound insulation around the front end and even upgraded the front side windows to the kind of slim double-glazed 'acoustic glass' that you find on luxury cars, dramatically reducing the amount of wind and ambient noise".

I have added the Bold and increased the font size.

Given that I can barely hear the horn when used (much quieter than the 4.4) and barely hearing the low speed warning for pedestrians, the added insulation may be a fact (must test the horn with the window open).

But double-glazed front side windows? Never seen any mention of that before (and having looked at the windows I find it difficult to believe they are double-glazed).

Any thoughts?

Edited by Lawnmowerman
Grammar

There is an upgraded sound insulation and it has 'acoustic glass' but not to my knowledge double glazed.  I can not remember anywhere that I've read that says it's double glazed but it is a quiet car.

• Like 1

I have also read elsewhere about the thicker glass and back to back comparisons with the HEV comment on how much quieter the PHEV is. I am guessing it is a laminate type formation and hence the double glazed reference. 

• Thanks 1

Mornin' 

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

but it is a quiet car.

Mornin'.......I agree the RAV PHEV is a very quiet motor.

A welcome surprise from my previous HEV; so much to this car. 

Full marks to the forum for teasing out the latent goodies.

Barry Wright Lancashire.

My 2l C-HR had double glazed side windows, you can't tell just by looking at them as there is just a thin film between the two sheets of glass. 

So - a laminate perhaps (a la front screen) technically double-glazed but not in the general sense of the word. I put fingers on either side of the glass to determine the thickness (window closed) and it it seems no thicker than regular glass (must open it to look at it on edge - perhaps then able to see a sandwich layer).

One of the few things I don't like about the HEV is the amount of road noise that comes in. The laminated glass would be a good improvement on all models I think. My last car was  a Ford that had laminated glass and a system that generated white noise that supposedly "cancelled out" noise coming into the cabin. It was quieter than my Rav4 despite being a diesel. I think my tyres are quite noisy too, Toyo Proxes. 

When I first looked at this before I placed my order the best I could find was that it was a laminate with the middle layer slightly thicker than the usual glass screen but still giving good optical properties. In the end I just accepted it worked along with the additional insulation in the doors and under the hood.

4 hours ago, Sealiedog said:

One of the few things I don't like about the HEV is the amount of road noise that comes in. The laminated glass would be a good improvement on all models I think. My last car was  a Ford that had laminated glass and a system that generated white noise that supposedly "cancelled out" noise coming into the cabin. It was quieter than my Rav4 despite being a diesel. I think my tyres are quite noisy too, Toyo Proxes. 

I found that on my test drive of a HEV albeit I put it down to the boot not being fully carpeted and so less sound absorbent.  

Just looked! The front side windows ARE laminated. 😃

• Thanks 1

I test drove the hybrid and PHEV back to back on the same route

The PHEV is noticeably quieter particularly on engine noise

I purchased the PHEV and haven’t regretted it for one minute, it’s an awesome car

• Like 1

Agreed Phil

I had a 4.4 hybrid so couldn't compare with the new car directly - but I am very impressed with it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links