Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bull bar anyone?

Shootgun

I must admit , i rather like the look of this bullbar, and i tkink it will look even smarter combined with my black hood deflector and black wing mirror indicators...

Opinions?

MED-1-1024x682.jpg

Presumably it satisfies European safety standards (eg 'E' marked). Would also need to check with your insurer as to whether they consider it a modification, etc, and whether it will affect your cover/premium.

18 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably it satisfies European safety standards (eg 'E' marked). Would also need to check with your insurer as to whether they consider it a modification, etc, and whether it will affect your cover/premium.

The seller states is EC approved.

I would imagine it shouldn't be any increase in premium, as is a protection element?

Also is a direct fit, no drilling required.

Dorian, it might be a protection for the car but I have something in my mind it has proved to be not so friendly if you are a pedestrian that gets hit. Your insurance company, if it is deemed not to be a safety feature, may well not pay out if it is not declared.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shootgun said:

I would imagine it shouldn't be any increase in premium, as is a protection element?

Not to pedestrians if hit by your car - which may be an increase in risk for the insurer.

4 hours ago, Shootgun said:

The seller states is EC approved.

Also is a direct fit, no drilling required.

Very rarely see Bull bars now. Personally I think they have had their day from a styling point of view. I also wonder what difference it would make to the carefully calculated deformation zones designed and implemented at great cost. When boot spoilers were all the rage some induced lift rather than imposing downforce - that would have been an interesting conversation with the insurance company in the event of a certain type of accident.

Be aware - in the heyday of the mini-motorbikes (pit bikes) and kids quads, I sold many (a LOT) through the company I worked for. We were no fly by night and all were EC marked and certificated. All was well until a visit from Trading Standards. They impounded them all and took representative machines for testing. All certification and approvals were fraudulent. We purchased them in good faith from an importer.

All seized machines were collected and destroyed. We did not receive any penalty as we were able to identify the importer who presumably carried the can. Our penalty was the forfeiture at a cost of many thousands.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Shootgun said:

I must admit , i rather like the look of this bullbar, and i tkink it will look even smarter combined with my black hood deflector and black wing mirror indicators...

Opinions?

MED-1-1024x682.jpg

I was going to say something along the lines of the danger to pedestrians, but I am supposing you live in a rural area where there are large animals roaming randomly ?

• Like 1

They have certainly got some bad press over the years because of the potential injuries to pedestrians, cyclists etc. and there were many campaigns to take them off sale in the UK. You don’t see them that much nowadays unless attached to an old Land Rover which also has an air breather and winch.

• Like 1

The model in question is made in Italy and is EU approved.

I will call my insurance company and see what they got to say...

I'll rather pay a bit extra than having the car trashed by a fallow deer on a country lane.

Not for me as for me it doesn't suit the RAV's look.  Even the awd isn't really an offroad vehicle.

Rigid Bull-bars are illegal as they do not offer any protection to pedestrians etc. and have been linked to serious injuries and deaths to people who might well have less serious injuries by being hit by the flexible bumpers and crumple zones. The EU approved ones are meant to be flexible I’m not sure how they would fare again a Fallow Deer at speed but have read that the best designed bull bars could add an extra level of energy absorption at low speeds. 

Overall I think I’d want the car’s systems to trigger the air bags as soon as possible so something that potentially delayed that would not be something I’d sign up for, the car can be replaced.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ernieb said:

s. 

Overall I think I’d want the car’s systems to trigger the air bags as soon as possible so something that potentially delayed that would not be something I’d sign up for, the car can be replaced.

That's actually a really good point yes.  Also will it affect the front parking sensors or the radar cruise?