Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel economy issue

Aris the Auris

So I've been driving my 2011 Auris SR for a month now and I cant seem to get my fuel economy past 39mpg(6.1L/100km). I recently serviced it, I'm using good fuel, I'm not hammering the revs, I have good tyres and the psi is correct, I'm never carrying more than one passenger and no extra gear etc. I'm wondering am I expecting a bit too much from the car or is there anything else you lot would suggest? I'm doing about 150km on the motorway a day and I don't really go above 3k revs, just under 120kmph. I just can't seem to get any higher. 

Any help is appreciated.

I think it’s about right too, perhaps  a smaller wheels 205/55 16 may add another 2-3mpg but overall not a huge difference to warrant any changes. 👍 

Best fuel consumption i have managed to achieve on my 2011 Auris 1.3vvti was 5.7L/100km.
This was driving on the highway on a trip 165km trip with no traffic and taking it easy on the accelerator.

Your current 6.1L/100km is extremely good fuel consumption.

• Like 1

We're getting used to high mpg, and seems to forget how it was 10-20 years ago.

My 2002 1.gen Yaris 1.3 was rated to 16,7 km/l (47 mpg) and with very gentle driving it was'nt impossible. Normal comsumpsion was 14 km/l (39 mpg).

In 2004 I got a Corolla 1.6. Bigger, faster, more powerfull - and thirsty. Extremly low gears, so 100 km/h was 3000 rpm. Fast holiday driving through Germany was 4.500 rpm. all the way, and comsumpsion not higher than 9 km/l (25 mpg) Normal every day driving was 13 km/l (36 mpg)

The funny thing is, back then, I did'nt see it a very high comsumption. Some times I felt it was pretty good (remembering the older cars from the 90's beeing much worse)

• Like 2

Considering it.s a 1.6L gasoline engine with 132 bhp, asking it to have under better mpg than what you are having now is asking a bit too much.

Only way to get better consumption is to buy a diesel.

I'm getting more or less same mpg with my 1st gen, and personally think it's rather good considering it's a 1.6 gasoline engine.

2 minutes ago, furtula said:

Considering it.s a 1.6L gasoline engine with 132 bhp, asking it to have under better mpg than what you are having now is asking a bit too much.

Only way to get better consumption is to buy a diesel.

I'm getting more or less same mpg with my 1st gen, and personally think it's rather good considering it's a 1.6 gasoline engine.

Or a Hybrid

• Like 1

@hilux1337 you can't really compare petrol to diesel. Diesel fuel economy just blows petrol out of the water every time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Or a Hybrid

What is the actual consumption of a hybrid? Meaning actual cost per 60 miles when you include electricity cost?

I noticed significant lack of actual data considering the consumption, especially in EV's. I even tried searching for it, a simple information, how much do kwh do you consume per 60 miles, proved rather hard to find, instead they just talk about range, Battery etc.

34 minutes ago, furtula said:

What is the actual consumption of a hybrid? Meaning actual cost per 60 miles when you include electricity cost?

I noticed significant lack of actual data considering the consumption, especially in EV's. I even tried searching for it, a simple information, how much do kwh do you consume per 60 miles, proved rather hard to find, instead they just talk about range, battery etc.

Hi Dean, of course you know Toyota hybrids are self charging, no plug-in, no need to worry where the next charging point is, just keep driving as long as you have petrol…. 600 mile on a tank full is doable.The hybrid the wife has now was mine when I bought it in 2017. I used to do around 64mpg in summer, 56 ish in the colder winter months. That’s diesel territory, but the benefit is hybrid is less air polluting, especially when running on the Battery. The change over from petrol to Battery and back again in the Auris 2010 is almost undetectable (that came with the Gen4 Prius I have). It is such a smooth drive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, furtula said:

I noticed significant lack of actual data considering the consumption, especially in EV's. I even tried searching for it, a simple information, how much do kwh do you consume per 60 miles, proved rather hard to find, instead they just talk about range, battery etc.

Toyota self charging hybrids are basically a petrol cars that has the best stop start technology that also is able to propel the car in some situations for a short distance but most of the time the system helps the petrol engine been more efficient, more powerful and cleaner., it works mostly on recovered energy from braking that usually gets lost as heat in any other standard cars. It’s a win win an Toyota hybrids are nicer to drive over standard cars with manual transmission or other type of automatics. 👍 Doesn’t cost anything more than in fuel or maintenance, just slightly higher price of the car when buying new or used, but it’s worth it 👌

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Aris the Auris said:

@hilux1337 you can't really compare petrol to diesel. Diesel fuel economy just blows petrol out of the water every time 

I know, I was just remarking that Toyota's MPG claims are pretty accurate at least in my case.

7 hours ago, Catlover said:

Or a Hybrid

I'm sure this is true for city driving, but what about highways?

11 minutes ago, Hilux1337 said:

I know, I was just remarking that Toyota's MPG claims are pretty accurate at least in my case.

Hi,

highways / motorways driving pretty much the same great efficiency as long as you don’t hammer it all the time , if you drive within speed limits engine is running at lower rpm similar to diesel or even lower so no problem with fuel economy. I drive my hybrid on motorways 150-200miles per day and getting around 50mpg winter and 60+ mpg uk summer. 5.7-4.7l/100km  👍

I find mine (Yaris Mk4 hybrid) is slightly less frugal on the motorway but it is very sensitive to driving style at those speeds - If I follow the truck train it could probably get very high mpgs, but the way I drive I usually only get low-70's mpg.

In the summer my tank averages were topping out in the low 80-mpgs (Mix of town and motorway), getting nearly 500 miles out of 26-28 litres of fuel (The Mk4 Yaris has a tiiiny fuel tank!), but the cold has dropped it down to the low-70s (Or E10, or some combination of the 2. Won't know until next summer when I can compare!)

Some of the earlier hybrid mpg claims were just outright lies (Mk3 had an official claimed mpg of 83!!), but the new WLTP test cycle has made them more realistic, with the Mk4 rated at 65-68mpg depending on grade, and that is easily achievable, even beatable, in real life.

It's a bloody good car, and literally what I've been waiting for for years (I had a Mk1 Yaris D4D which was doing 64 mpg tank average and 75+mpg on the motorway, and I refused to buy another car unless it could beat that, and it's taken over 15 years to get to this point! :laugh: )

• Like 1

It's about right for the kind of car it is. Cruising at 110kph instead of 120 could easily net you another 4-5mpg. Once you get into high speeds, every few percent more has a big effect.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hilux1337 said:

During July this year we managed to get a week away in England, each way was 205 mile. For the whole week, including those miles, the car did 727 miles and the trip reading was 80.4 mpg. So that was motorways, A roads, B roads and any other road, like passing through town centres etc. 80.4mpg over 727 miles… pretty good that.                  
That was in my Gen4 Prius. Over 35049 miles travelled in it nearly 5 year life (as of July) the car has averaged 72mpg, that’s over every mile it has travelled.         
You can’t beat real life figures.

• Like 2

I’ve had my hybrid just over a month now. I travel about 20 miles a day to work and back throughout the week.

I’ve had the heater turned up, heated seats on and I keep the aircon on with the dual climate control.

im getting around 48mpg on average.

I notice that on longer journeys the mpg creeps up as it seems the Battery reaches prime temp.

great cars, would recommend. 

• Like 4

Steven83 - Turn off the heated seats, set the climate control to Auto at sensible level (I have mine on 20 or 21) and I'm sure you will see an improvement.  Sometimes I adjust the air flow to windscreen and feet but mostly I leave it in Auto.  By having the temp set high you are forcing the engine to run a lot more than normal just to supply heat for the cabin and that is detrimental to your mpg. 

Tbh I’m more interested in being comfortable than trying to get a few extra mpg.

id rather be in a toasty car with a warm backside than save myself a couple of £ per month. 

• Like 3