Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start stop

Nattynoos

Hi I’ve just bought and I am waiting for delivery, an Aygo JBL edition, does it have start stop technology, can anyone tell me please

They experimented with it on some earlier cars like my Mk2 Yaris but eventually came to the same conclusion we'd all had already which is that it's pointless, just makes the car less reliable, and doesn't really save enough fuel or emissions because it doesn't work most of the time anyway, so it's pretty much gone from all their new cars!

Toyota dispensed with stop/start on the 3rd generation Yaris citing cost reasons rather than reliability issues. However they continued with it on the Auris 1.33 from the first generation (late 2008) and throughout the second generation 1.33.

If you wanted stop/start, Natalie, and you not going to get it then don’t be too disappointed.  I had it on one of my cars, Hyundai i30, and it didn’t work more then it did. The Battery had to be in tip top condition or it wouldn’t work. When the weather was cold and evenings dark earlier, when you have the heater and lights on, the Battery was hardly ever in good enough condition for s/s to work.

The point about stop/start is that for Type Approval it lowers emissions, and, for the UK, where road tax is based on CO2 emissions (e.g. the first year from when the car is registered) you have lower road tax. It also contributes to the fleet average emissions target that car manufacturers have to adhere to.

Only the very latest Aygos, June 2021 or later have stop/start.

The JBL edition will not have it and as you have a speaker in the boot that replaces the spare wheel, enjoy your can of gunk if you get a puncture.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Catlover said:

If you wanted stop/start, Natalie, and you not going to get it then don’t be too disappointed....

Would Nathalie have liked to have start-stop or rather not ?

Same experience here as catlover. My Battery was not optimal from buying my Renault cause it was in stock for a longer time than average. Other owners seemed to have the same.

Have it on a Skoda now and that always restarts the car seconds after stop cause the conditions are not optimal.

I know a lot of people who deactivate it every time they start the car.

In an automatic it's even worse. There is no clutch to give a no-go signal. The car will shut down the engine every time you stop behind an other vehicle in traffic.

You will be saved of buying a lot more expensive Battery or starter when they break down.

The only real use of it is to lower theoretical emissions.

In my country it would have been nice to have it for tax reasons. Although it has a nice co number already.

My BiL had a Jaguar with stop start. He didn't use it.

I toyed with stop start 40 odd years ago.  On setting off I had 3 stops before reaching the main road.  A cold engine and it tended to stop at the moment you were about to go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Skoda Octavia that my ex got as part of our divorce settlement has stop/start and I have to say I never found it a problem, it only stopped when it seemed sensible (i.e. after the engine had warmed up, the Battery was well charged and the aircon wasn't working hard) and it re-started before I'd even got the clutch pedal fully depressed. It was still on its original Battery after 6 years.

Having said that owners of the DSG versions were much more critical of it because it would stop the engine while the car was still moving which meant the steering lost assistance.

My Aygo doesn't have stop/start, AFAIK it was only ever fitted to manual versions.

The best “stop/start” is as fitted to a Toyota hybrid. Yes I know it’s not a stop/start as we been talking about, but, unless the computer system is demanding the engines is in run cycle, every time I come stationary the engine is not running, followed by when I put my foot on the accelerator pedal the car moves. Big fuel saver for sure.

• Like 1

I had stop/start on both the Auris - just it let it do its thing. In heavy traffic, which is frequent where we live, quite relaxing not to have the noise from the engine when stationary. Have also got it on our current i20.

12 hours ago, Nattynoos said:

Hi I’ve just bought and I am waiting for delivery, an Aygo JBL edition, does it have start stop technology, can anyone tell me please

Slightly off topic, but maybe not... Nice car 👍

• Like 1

My Aygo has the System & records the time live in every application every journey.

Tel

• 7 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, Nattynoos said:

Hi 

The Aygo x does have stop start technology.

We just took diverticulitis of our Aygo x pure

Auto.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:01 AM, Tel 2 said:

My Aygo has the System

17 minutes ago, Rayzin645 said:

The Aygo x does have stop start technology.

The OP ordered one of the last Aygos (2014-2021) rather than the Aygo X (2022 onwards).