Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Yaris Hybrid 2021 - fuel consumption


poiniop
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 

my new Yaris Hybrid 2021 is showing a consumption of around 4,7 L/ 100 km while driving in cities. This is much higher than the consumption described by Toyota. I tried driving extra carefully and managed to get 91 ECO points, but still had a consumption over 4L / 100 km. 

I'm wondering whether I am doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the car. 

What is your experience regarding this issue?

Thank you. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • poiniop changed the title to Yaris Hybrid 2021 - fuel consumption

The consumption you're getting is between 60.1 and 70.6 Imperial mpg.

You need to bear in mind that the official consumption figures manufacturers legally have to use, are achieved through a laboratory based testing regime. Figures obtained are not meant to represent what owners will achieve, but to provide a standard comparison between models. 

Having said that, the WLTP test now being used does provide more realistic figures than the previous New European Driving Cycle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect the engine's too cold - I find if you're just driving at low speed the engine struggles to stay hot enough as it doesn't run long enough to get to optimal temperature, and it is well known that combustion engines get terrible efficiency when they're cold (Esp. diesels!). If you're also using the climate control to heat the car, the car will waste a lot of fuel just running the engine for heat which will drop the fuel economy significantly, esp. while stationary.

TBH 60mpg/4.7L/km is still very good IMHO. I'm getting low-mid 70's mpg (Down from high-70's/low 80's in summer!) but I am able to hit fast roads before getting to town roads which I suspect helps a lot as it gets the engine a chance to reach optimal temperature, which traffic crawling does not!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, poiniop said:

my new Yaris Hybrid 2021 is showing a consumption of around 4,7 L/ 100 km while driving in cities. This is much higher than the consumption described by Toyota. I tried driving extra carefully and managed to get 91 ECO points, but still had a consumption over 4L / 100 km. 

I'm wondering whether I am doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the car.

Try looking at Yaris 2020-2021 data on sites like Fuelly or Spritmonitor, these are websites where one can track fuel consumption, and that of others, with the same or similar cars. I was doing that yesterday, my current car gives me 6 L/100 km. I have a Yaris on order and was wondering what I could expect as an average. It looks like in warm weather it is 3,5-4 L/100 km.

However, it is interesting to look at the early recordings for the Yaris, and I saw, in at least one case, I didn't bother to look at them all, that the very first readings were 4+ L/100 km. In fact the very first one, in the example I looked at, was 4,7 L/100 km. 

If you car has  <1000 km on it, I wouldn't worry. I am sure there are a few reasons why the early figure is dissapointing. If you stick around on here you will become aware that the difference between winter and summer is, let's say, surprising. It all has to do with the efficiency of the Battery, with respect to temperature.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Yes, the car is brand new (not even 600 km driven) and it is cold here in Munich. So I will wait for the Spring to see if the consumption gets better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, poiniop said:

Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Yes, the car is brand new (not even 600 km driven) and it is cold here in Munich. So I will wait for the Spring to see if the consumption gets better. 

There will be ifs or buts about it. The difference in mpg between summer and winter mpg is surprising, in the Toyota hybrids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s right, 10mpg (1l/100km) difference between summer and winter fuel consumption it’s normal and it’s also the case in all other cars but somehow unnoticed, while in hybrids people tend to have more attention to fuel efficiency. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The wet roads and the heavy winds are also contributing to the higher fuel consumption plus the Battery temperature itself, when very cold even with heating off or interior warmed up and good charge of the Battery the car will tend to go on petrol more often then usual perhaps to preserve Battery health. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 7:12 AM, poiniop said:

Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Yes, the car is brand new (not even 600 km driven) and it is cold here in Munich. So I will wait for the Spring to see if the consumption gets better. 

It will get better when the weather warms up i'm sure. Mine has plunged by 10 mpg recently as the weather has got colder. I'm not worried as i brought it about a year ago and got simlar mpg and it shot up in the spring. When it's warmer the engine doesn't always come on until i've driven for a mile or so. In the winter it comes on straightaway and runs for 5-10 minutes before turning off.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, poiniop said:

Hello everyone, 

my new Yaris Hybrid 2021 is showing a consumption of around 4,7 L/ 100 km while driving in cities. This is much higher than the consumption described by Toyota. I tried driving extra carefully and managed to get 91 ECO points, but still had a consumption over 4L / 100 km. 

I'm wondering whether I am doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the car. 

What is your experience regarding this issue?

Thank you. 

My latest MPG on mostly town driving is 46.54 mpg. This’s due to hilly roads and wintry cold temperatures. Compare this with warmer September temperatures and achieved 73.94mpg. So your car is ok, as I said in an earlier post Toyota hybrids don’t like the cold weather.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up my 21 plate Hybrid Design ex-demonstrator in September with 2000 miles on the clock. First brim to brim in October was 61.56 mpg, second in November was 62.41. My current indicated figure after 220 miles on this tankful is 54.6, so the next brim to brim could be low to middle 50s. Here in north Wales nearly every road out of town is uphill, but that goes with downhill on the return journey. We do mainly short trips around town, with monthly twenty or thirty mile runs to hospital, all on the hilly bit of the A55. My last Toyota but one was a Gen3 Prius, my overall for four years was 58.7mpg. You just have to love these hybrids, don't you?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Following on from my post on 16th December, I wasn't far out. The last brim to brim was 49.1 mpg. Still not complaining, though, just eagerly waiting for the Spring and the warmer weather to arrive. Daily temperatures of 2C to 4C and short journeys don't help at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mike1394 said:

Daily temperatures of 2C to 4C and short journeys don't help at all.

👍 Yes, even a few degrees at that those temperatures make a difference, I forgot to close the garage doors the other day and the car was a couple of degrees colder than usual. So more ICE needed to bring Battery and motor up to temperature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having the heating on definitely tanks the mpg; I had to turn it on today because I am a wuss, and dropped my average to 68mpg :crybaby: 

Left it off on the way home and clawed back 1 mpg to 69.

My new plan is to steal my biker friend's heated vest.

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Having the heating on definitely tanks the mpg; I had to turn it on today because I am a wuss, and dropped my average to 68mpg :crybaby: 

Left it off on the way home and clawed back 1 mpg to 69.

My new plan is to steal my biker friend's heated vest.

 

Is all that ‘faff’ worth it for 1 mpg ??

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

Is all that ‘faff’ worth it for 1 mpg ??

He is definitely joking 🙃 I keep my car for hours in ready mode and don’t even think about mpg, all I think is heat and comfort, plus Battery also likes it 👌

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

Having the heating on definitely tanks the mpg; I had to turn it on today because I am a wuss, and dropped my average to 68mpg :crybaby: 

Left it off on the way home and clawed back 1 mpg to 69.

My new plan is to steal my biker friend's heated vest.

 

Or perhaps a small fire in the passenger foot well? A roaring fire would help to warm you up! (Joking of course!)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

🙃 I keep my car for hours in ready mode and don’t even think about mpg, all I think is heat and comfort, plus battery also likes it

That’s definitely a switch from standard ICE behaviour. I always turned car off while waiting with my previous cars. I am particularly intolerant of people waiting for someone with the car running. With standard ICE it’s definitely unnecessary fuel use, and extra pollution.

I left my car in ready while mrs Stopeter44 went in to fetch the pizza, the engine ran for a bit then stopped, so I didn’t feel so bad. It did mean however 30 mins of constant ready mode, which appears to be useful for the 12v Battery.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Italy, for obvious pollution reasons, you must everytime turn off engine when you stay parked waiting for someone else you can be fined.  Luckily our HSD Toyotas have electric aircon so even in summer you can stay in car with ICE off. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

That’s definitely a switch from standard ICE behaviour. I always turned car off while waiting with my previous cars. I am particularly intolerant of people waiting for someone with the car running. With standard ICE it’s definitely unnecessary fuel use, and extra pollution.

I left my car in ready while mrs Stopeter44 went in to fetch the pizza, the engine ran for a bit then stopped, so I didn’t feel so bad. It deed mean however 30 mins of constant ready mode, which appears to be useful for the 12v battery.

That’s right, hybrids are different and much better in comparison with ice cars where engine will be running all the time, my car is my office often when at work and been a hybrid it’s beneficial for the wallet and for the environment, in cold nights for every 10-15 min time engine is running for 1-2 min. I often do one trick after a drive and stop for a break and when it’s cold outside but engine is warm I keep the car in ready mode for few more minutes and keep watching the temp gauge, when coolant temp drops to two bars or hybrid Battery gets low I switch off the car before the engine kicks in and doing so prevent unnecessary petrol burning but still provide heat into the cabin, after an hour or so I start the car and engine kicks in immediately but I start driving at the same time so no extra fuel was burnt to have extra 5min of heat. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership