Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla TREK suspension

MikiMaz

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously considering ordering a Corolla TS 2.0 and would like to ask for your advice. I cannot decide whether I should go for the normal or the TREK version. I am quite worried about the small ground clearance of the normal one (135 mm as far as I know) so I would prefer the TREK version just for the increased ride height (even for normal use). But I would not like a potentially wobblier ride due to the elevated chassis (which I have read about in some reviews).
I only had a few short test drives so far but it was not enough to check the cars' behavior on different road surfaces. My impression was that the normal version ran smoother, and the TREK was more prone to undulate (mainly longitudinally rather than wobbling side to side), and maybe hitting a pothole gave a harder response to the car body. I am not sure whether my impressions are correct, but I suspect that the normal version runs smoother and may be more enjoyable to drive than the TREK. Can anybody help me and give a comparison between the suspension systems of the two models?

Thanks, Miki

The trek has bigger alloys

an icon or icon tech on 16in alloys will be smoother

however the Corolla gets away with big alloys far better than anything else in its class (maybe a golf is better but the mk8 is unimpressive)

prob due to multi link suspension

As a Trek owner, given that it has a raised suspension, it will have a little bit more body roll than a standard Corolla, but I dont think it feels wobbly, the overall comfort level is good, I drive mainly country roads and I have no probs with the handling but have also driven town and motorways, and always find it comfortable in use. I've been glad of the extra ground clearance on several occasions due to having to pull on to verges, poor roads etc, even in town with high kerbs when opening doors.

I also like the lighter interior and wood effect it just sets it apart a little.

It suits my lifestyle, going to areas where country car parks are rough and some access tracks a bit rough. I had 2 Auris TS prior to it. I have no regrets and feel it gives more flexibility for a little loss in handling. I think it comes down to your use and driving style and what you really want from the car.

One thing, if you check the MY22 thread, the initial post states the Trek is to get a trim update, leather upholstery and doing away with the wood effect. Also some Chrome trim at Windows, but also 18" wheels which may change the ride again. I don't really understand where they are taking the Trek, but maybe from a more country style reflective of nature to what I think sounds like a more urban SUV but having not seen one it's difficult to judge and will be interesting to hear how Toyota describe the updated Trek, if these changes are definitely confirmed. Hopefully dealer will be able to confirm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The Police are trialling a Corolla TS Trek with tweaked suspension.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-works-with-the-police-to-produce-new-corolla-patrol-car/

Nice one 👍 

I was wondering why uk police are not using home made Toyota hybrids in their fleet while most uk taxis are Toyota hybrids?! Finally a right direction, now the patrol cars will be that bit quieter and cleaner 👌🏁 The police Corolla looks like a mixture between Trek and the latest Corolla van that is also coming on the market. Good job Toyota 

Police trials of the Corolla have been ongoing since June 2020 -

Toyota Corolla Hybrid Fits the Bill as Potential Police Patrol Car - Toyota Media Site

As regards procurement, there are a number of car manufacturers which are approved suppliers for passenger vehicles on the National Framework for procuring Police cars: Audi, BMW, Stellantis (Citroen, Fiat, Peugeot, Vauxhall), Ford, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia, Mercedes, Nissan, Renault, Seat, Skoda, Ssyangyong, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota. 

Under the procurement framework, country of manufacture isn't something that can be a factor in purchases, so forces cannot stipulate where vehicles are manufactured as part of the tendering process. Whether that will change post Brexit is another thing.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies.

I also think that the bigger alloys contribute to the different drive characteristics. My favorite version would be a Trek with 16" wheels but my dealer is unwilling to offer such a combination. In fact I do not understand why Toyota offer the Trek version with bigger alloys; probably this trim is meant as an off road version from the visual point of view only.

Peter, special thanks for your detailed answer, personal experience is the most useful information. In fact I would not like to use the car off road other than a few meters to drive into the garden of my mother-in-law's house. I am driving a Mazda 323F now with a pretty small ground clearance (140 mm I think) and I have already scratched the underbody a number of times on a slightly downward sloping driveway. My driving style is not particularly sporty so I do not need a very tight suspension, however, me and my wife hate the wobbliness of cars which we have experienced a few times (driving e.g. Citroen C3 or Kia Venga).

And my other worry is about the potentially increased stiffness of the springs which is often applied in cars with elevated center of mass to compensate for the proneness to wobbling. The city road surfaces here where I live are generally very bumpy, so I am looking for a good trade-off between drive comfort and usability under poor road conditions. Maybe a Trek with 16" alloys would be solution if my dealer was a bit more flexible.

As for the new Trek trim, my dealer told me that the new cars would have a new infotainment system (at a higher price of course), which is a most welcome improvement I think. But he did not mention any other modifications. I think I would not need a leather upholstery or 18" alloys, so I hope the rest will still be the same as before. But I have to hurry to make up my mind before the prices are raised again...

2 minutes ago, MikiMaz said:

As for the new Trek trim, my dealer told me that the new cars would have a new infotainment system (at a higher price of course), which is a most welcome improvement I think. But he did not mention any other modifications

Presume you're in Hungary. Details of the 2022 UK spec have already been announced - so I would contact Toyota Hungary to see what changes there are for 2022 in your country.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presume you're in Hungary. Details of the 2022 UK spec have already been announced - so I would contact Toyota Hungary to see what changes there are for 2022 in your country.

Yes, that's correct. I'll check that, thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links