Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need a CD player.

Marion Aitken

I just bought a 2017 Avensis 1.8 Estate business edition to replace my fabulous Chrysler 300C diesel saloon.  It seems lacking in creature comforts but it's for a disability scooter hoist in the back.  However I'm choked that there is no CD player.  I know....... it's all available online.  No.  It is not.. Much of my music is not in the popular music s[here/  Some is from  private recording sessions.   Anyway I need a CD player.  Is there a particular model that suits Toyota and someone who can do the job.  

I'm not sure is it possible to get CD player to that new Avensis. How about to transfer music from CD to USB memory stick and play it via USB slot?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marion Aitken said:

I just bought a 2017 Avensis 1.8 Estate business edition to replace my fabulous Chrysler 300C diesel saloon.  It seems lacking in creature comforts but it's for a disability scooter hoist in the back.  However I'm choked that there is no CD player.  I know....... it's all available online.  NO.  IT IS NOT. Much of  mY music is not in the popular music s[here/  Some is from  private recording sessions.   Anyway I need a CD player.  Is there a particular model that suits Toyota and someone who can do the job.  

all your music you can copy on to a Corsair (CMFSL3X1-64GB) Flash Voyager Slider thats whats i have on mine not sure how big of a flash drive can put on there but i use mine all the time just copy all your cds to laptop name folders put music in the folders the mp3  numbering each song then u can make another folder with music in there then on the car radio all u have to do is search through the usb and play its a great job no more clumsy cds  

• Like 1

Presume your music is on a CD? Why not rip the CD to your desktop or laptop, and then copy to a USB.

If you don't have a DVD drive on your computer, you can buy a usb powered external DVD drive, and rip the CD using that. Far cheaper and easier than replacing the multimedia unit on the car.

• Like 5

Hi Marion, I agree with the others and get your music onto USB memory sticks, Micro SD/SD memory cards or other digital media formats. I have been doing it for well over 10 years, since the late 2000s on my Mk1 Avensis with factory fitted Sony. You basically want to do the reverse of what I have been doing. My current Avensis the factory CD player that plays standard audio CD, MP3 and WMA on CD's. But I was disappointed that I didn't have USB play back or bluetooth media playback, though the car has bluetooth for handsfree calls. I went on to add an Adapter via the CD changer port, that supports a second bluetooth for multimedia, USB and card SD card reader. I have posted on this forum and since updated my adapter to meet the later standards. 

I can add that cars are not alone in dropping CD drives. You cannot buy a new laptop with an internal drives these days, though I do own an external CD drive for converting music to MP3. I still use another laptop that has a DVD drive with Blu-ray playback - I am using right now to add this reply.  
So Marion, do you have a laptop with a CD drive or know someone with one? If not you can buy an external CD/DVD drive that connects via USB. When I put a music CD into the drive on my laptop, Windows on my system asks to convert to MP3 and add the Title of the contents - Gracenote. In then back up the music onto an external drive of USB memory stick. What you need is to find a friend or relative to help you get your music onto the memory stick. I also transfer music onto my phone. You can play music from your phone via Bluetooth.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

What you are looking for is an ADV-USBCD but it's not cheap

As above, it's cheaper to rip them and put them on a USB stick

• Like 2

Ahahah, that is hilarious!! That's literally come full circle - I used to have an adaptor in my Mk1s that emulated a CD changer to let you play music off a USB stick, and now there's this, that does the opposite and emulates a USB stick to let you play music off CDs!!! :laugh:

• Haha 1

Yes , it is curious. OTOH ripping CD’s for pop or jazz is pretty easy, but getting the metadata right, can be PIA. Classical music metadata is altogether a different story. I have most of my rock and jazz music ripped but very little classical. Over more than 10 years I must have ripped everything at least twice and some discs more not to mention the flip flops between ALAC and FLAC. 

I signed up for Apple music, I had another streaming service before, because of iTunes Match, where you can get all of your music from the cloud, Even stuff that Apple Music doesn’t have.

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Hi Marion, I agree with the others and get your music onto USB memory sticks, Micro SD/SD memory cards or other digital media formats. I have been doing it for well over 10 years, since the late 2000s on my Mk1 Avensis with factory fitted Sony. You basically want to do the reverse of what I have been doing. My current Avensis the factory CD player that plays standard audio CD, MP3 and WMA on CD's. But I was disappointed that I didn't have USB play back or Bluetooth media playback, though the car has Bluetooth for handsfree calls. I went on to add an Adapter via the CD changer port, that supports a second Bluetooth for multimedia, USB and card SD card reader. I have posted on this forum and since updated my adapter to meet the later standards. 

I can add that cars are not alone in dropping CD drives. You cannot buy a new laptop with an internal drives these days, though I do own an external CD drive for converting music to MP3. I still use another laptop that has a DVD drive with Blu-ray playback - I am using right now to add this reply.  
So Marion, do you have a laptop with a CD drive or know someone with one? If not you can buy an external CD/DVD drive that connects via USB. When I put a music CD into the drive on my laptop, Windows on my system asks to convert to MP3 and add the Title of the contents - Gracenote. In then back up the music onto an external drive of USB memory stick. What you need is to find a friend or relative to help you get your music onto the memory stick. I also transfer music onto my phone. You can play music from your phone via Bluetooth.

Hope this helps.

the thing which is great with these newer toyota headunits is that they have the dab+ feature is really class i never bother listening to fm or those others i only listen to the dab+ and music i burn onto my coshair mini Voyager 64gb flash drive . quick question konrad would those newer Corsair Voyager Slider X1 USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 128GB work with the toyota headunit. im not sure what is the max gb can my toyota touch 2 headunit can handle i know the 64gb version of this one works well . plus when comes to laptops my dell has a cd drive in it its well loaded out my laptop and tbh great machine i have it for years it has everything you can think on it .cd,hdmi,3.0 usb ports 2 of them, 2.0 usb port 1 of them, a sd card slot and montor plug as well plus other things i not sure what they do. webcam and class i5 processor. its a dell e6430 core i5 ive upgraded the memory to 16gb ram and a 450gb ssd 

i had a lot of mp3's 80gb at one point most of that is now gone, now down to 25gb seems a bit pointless ripping cd's then upscaling 192kbs files to lossless for in car use, iirc the touch systems can only utilize 320kbs and down samples the audio

indoors, is another matter as i have a decent DAC, CD/DVD/Blu-ray player with optical, digital and amp setup that can handle 32bit CD, 24 bit high res audio

• Like 1

@2009joe its not so much the size, but the processing power the touch2 has to index the sheer amount of files, 64gb would be the top of its ability

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, flash22 said:

@2009joe its not so much the size, but the processing power the touch2 has to index the sheer amount of files, 64gb would be the top of its ability

thanks boss i just bought a 128GB Corsair Flash Voyager Slider X1 USB 3.0 Flash Drive from the corsair web page site lol suppose there great flash drives anyways they have a lifetime warranty 

• Like 1

I would never use my precious CDs in the car, even during the days when it was popular. Too fiddly and I was always too fussy about scratching them or even making finger marks....which would require cleaning....which could cause scratches lol. I used to use minidiscs back in the days before lossless compression and cheap flash memory did away with optical media once and for all.

• Like 3

Aww I miss minidiscs... Sony were always very good at nailing good sized form factors for stuff. Shame they're such greedy litigious gits - Their various formats could have taken over the world for so many things if they weren't so bloody-minded with their licencing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Aww I miss minidiscs... Sony were always very good at nailing good sized form factors for stuff. Shame they're such greedy litigious gits - Their various formats could have taken over the world for so many things if they weren't so !Removed!-minded with their licencing...

Marvellous things, all the best features of CDs and tapes wrapped up in a smaller package.

They win some and lose some. Betamax was a shame, but Blu Ray has done rather better. Memorystick proved to be no match for the mighty SD card.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Marvellous things, all the best features of CDs and tapes wrapped up in a smaller package.

They win some and lose some. Betamax was a shame, but Blu Ray has done rather better. Memorystick proved to be no match for the mighty SD card.

In the late 90's I had a wee collection of minidiscs, that I had recorded from CDs, and an Aiwa player with some Sennheiser headphones, it sounded pretty nice !

Before that I had a couple of portable CD players, that both died through over voltage, or something, using cheap 240v->120v transformers. The first car I tried to put a CD player in was a 1988 Renault Super 5 turbo! Didn't work, the players had to be horizontal. 

Now I use a USB stick, which I update from time to time. The current car doesn't manage Apple CarPlay too well, I am expecting much better performance from the Yaris Touch 2 and Apple CarPlay.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

In the late 90's I had a wee collection of minidiscs, that I had recorded from CDs, and an Aiwa player with some Sennheiser headphones, it sounded pretty nice !

I still have my Sony minidisc recorder and my Aiwa ADF-450 cassette deck in the loft! They might even be appreciating in value, although I doubt it.

I also still have the headphones I used during that era, Sennheiser HD565, although I've moved on to HD800S these days.

My Sennheisers weren’t that expensive, but I don’t recall the model number, but cost about £75 at the time.

i went off Sennheiser due to repeated cable failures, i now have a set of AKG K240 Mk2's, tuned to perfection with great sound reproduction not flat or over driven bass like some products "Cough" Beats "cough"

Never liked Sony audio stuff overpriced and very propriety there low and mid-range car audio is dire and just trades off the name

If you have time, check out Matt of Techmoan on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/techmoan

he gets into some very obscure tech and audio

PS. The puppet skits are great https://youtu.be/75MCdx7zURI

• Haha 1

I think we are way off topic but I loved my Sony MDR7’s but feel like AKG 40’s are the best I’ve had for the money.

(Don’t get me talking about audio, I’ve spent car money on it the past, I’ll get me hat…)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 6:51 PM, flash22 said:

got my 128GB Corsair Flash Voyager Slider X1 USB 3.0 Flash Drive from the corsair  and transferred the songs from my 64gb one and low and behold the 128gb new one works in my car so happy days :) i have loaded all the music into albums just pity the head unit wouldn't just have pictures of the albums also thats better 

14 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i have loaded all the music into albums just pity the head unit wouldn't just have pictures of the albums also thats better 

Is the art work "loaded" into each song. You can integrate the artwork into an .mp3/.aac file.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Is the art work "loaded" into each song. You can integrate the artwork into an .mp3/.aac file.

Artwork is a known issue with the touch2, it works fine with the nav tho

14 hours ago, 2009joe said:

got my 128GB Corsair Flash Voyager Slider X1 USB 3.0 Flash Drive from the corsair  and transferred the songs from my 64gb one and low and behold the 128gb new one works in my car so happy days 🙂 i have loaded all the music into albums just pity the head unit wouldn't just have pictures of the albums also thats better 

It's not the size, it's the amount of files

27 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Artwork is a known issue with the touch2, it works fine with the nav tho

It's not the size, it's the amount of files

Just to be clear, you mean it's not the size, in gB, of the USB stick, but the file volume in gB ? Am I right in understanding that Touch 2 :

1. Stores the number of files in a folder in 1 byte, so max 255 items per folder, either files or folders.
  2. The total storage that can be addressed is 32 gB (or is it 64 gB) ?

Thanks

I have a Touch 2 Go in my 2015 Avensis. The manual states the following file system limitations for USB devices:

File per folder: 255 max

Files on the device: 9999 max

Folders on the device: 3000 max

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links