Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recent starting issue-what could it be guys???

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

On behalf of my partners 2010 t27 2.0 Diesel saloon,

He's noticed the issue in the last month or two.

Basically, when he gets in the vehicle he'll press his brake pedal and clutch in at the same time, and then proceed to fire up the engine via his push start button. Previously it would fire straight up, especially after he replaced his old Battery with a new Bosch s5 a few months ago.

Now, its pretty hesitant to fire up...chug chug chug chug...vroom. However, if he pushes the pedals a bit firmer, using the tip of his toes he said, it fires up straight away or alot quicker.

It got me wondering, is there some sort of switch maybe underneath either pedal that could affect starting issues?

The vehicles getting old now I must admit, however its in tip top condition, as new, fully serviced by him yearly on time using only toyota dealer parts etc. And has passed its mot bang on since ownership. Yes its his pride and joy but I feel has to go soon.

Cheers

Sammy

8 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi All,

On behalf of my partners 2010 t27 2.0 Diesel saloon,

He's noticed the issue in the last month or two.

Basically, when he gets in the vehicle he'll press his brake pedal and clutch in at the same time, and then proceed to fire up the engine via his push start button. Previously it would fire straight up, especially after he replaced his old battery with a new Bosch s5 a few months ago.

Now, its pretty hesitant to fire up...chug chug chug chug...vroom. However, if he pushes the pedals a bit firmer, using the tip of his toes he said, it fires up straight away or alot quicker.

It got me wondering, is there some sort of switch maybe underneath either pedal that could affect starting issues?

The vehicles getting old now I must admit, however its in tip top condition, as new, fully serviced by him yearly on time using only toyota dealer parts etc. And has passed its mot bang on since ownership. Yes its his pride and joy but I feel has to go soon.

Cheers

Sammy

that push clutch to start was a pain mine was the same have to push it good and hard to get it started but not chug chug chug though. i put a wire in that switch so its on all the time i can start mine from outside the car like my older car. i like it that was 

It might be the switch to detect the clutch pedal (Manual) or brake (Auto) has gotten a bit dodgy - This time of year is where electrical gremlins come out to play as the cold air causes more condensation. Maybe spray it with some switch cleaner...?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2009joe said:

that push clutch to start was a pain mine was the same have to push it good and hard to get it started but not chug chug chug though. i put a wire in that switch so its on all the time i can start mine from outside the car like my older car. i like it that was 

Hi 2009joe,

Appreciate your feedback mate, please tell me more, about this wire into switch fix, sounds interesting!

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

It might be the switch to detect the clutch pedal (Manual) or brake (Auto) has gotten a bit dodgy - This time of year is where electrical gremlins come out to play as the cold air causes more condensation. Maybe spray it with some switch cleaner...?

Hi Cyker, 

We do have some electrical contact cleaner, however how would we get to these switches under brake and clutch pedals?

On a manual transmission you only need to press the clutch pedal for it to start, no need to press the brake so the brake pedal switch shouldn't have any effect on starting here. 

7 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi 2009joe,

Appreciate your feedback mate, please tell me more, about this wire into switch fix, sounds interesting!

is the car a manual or auto my one is a manual gears and i had to push my clutch in really hard and hold it there to start my car i got sick of it so i just pulled out the plug abit and wrapped a wire around the pins in plug then push it back again so not its the same way my last car is can start it outside the car . not sure how will work for mot but i guess il find out lol.there is a few things annoyed me about my toyota the seat belt dinging all the time even when i had a boxes in the seats so with software i got from eBay called techstream i turned off that annoying seat belt chime. i always have on my seat belt so no big deal to me. the last thing that annoys me is the stupid push button handbrake i dont like either .quick question the guys on here is there a way i could mod my push button handbreak so its in the center console somewhere as where it is beside the steering wheel its just a bit far to stretch your hand all the time 

Do you have floor mats, if so make sure it hasn't slipped forward up behind the pedal, turn the ignition on and wait for the glow plug light to go out then foot on the clutch and then start it, when was the fuel filter last changed or the water drained ?

9 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

On a manual transmission you only need to press the clutch pedal for it to start, no need to press the brake so the brake pedal switch shouldn't have any effect on starting here. 

Hi

I figured that today actually, funny you mentioned it though thanks, I dont know why I've ways thought you had to press both pedals.

2 hours ago, 2009joe said:

is the car a manual or auto my one is a manual gears and i had to push my clutch in really hard and hold it there to start my car i got sick of it so i just pulled out the plug abit and wrapped a wire around the pins in plug then push it back again so not its the same way my last car is can start it outside the car . not sure how will work for mot but i guess il find out lol.there is a few things annoyed me about my toyota the seat belt dinging all the time even when i had a boxes in the seats so with software i got from ebay called techstream i turned off that annoying seat belt chime. i always have on my seat belt so no big deal to me. the last thing that annoys me is the stupid push button handbrake i dont like either .quick question the guys on here is there a way i could mod my push button handbreak so its in the center console somewhere as where it is beside the steering wheel its just a bit far to stretch your hand all the time 

Hi

Cheers for your input.

I agree re the passenger seat chimes, if my daughter leans forward with her seat belt on it goes off, she does it to annoy me!

The push button handbrake is a bit far down, I wonder why they designed it in that way, I can never get used to it when I drive his car.

Finally, that clutch switch, so basically you removed the switch and tied a piece of wire around it, I assume to keep switch pressed in? This way you don't need to press your clutch in to start it? The bit I don't understand is wen you say...I can now start my car from the outside???

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Do you have floor mats, if so make sure it hasn't slipped forward up behind the pedal, turn the ignition on and wait for the glow plug light to go out then foot on the clutch and then start it, when was the fuel filter last changed or the water drained ?

Hi flash22,

Cheers, floor mats checked, genuine Avensis mats hence they're clipped from the rear hence they can't move forward under the pedals.

Yes that's the start up procedure, the light goes out pretty quick so all good there.

If im honest she fire's up normal when I drive it, I think it's him, must be something in how he positions his foot.

Fuel filter changed yearly, so at his last full service fairly recent. 

Where do you drain water from btw?

23 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi

Cheers for your input.

I agree re the passenger seat chimes, if my daughter leans forward with her seat belt on it goes off, she does it to annoy me!

The push button handbrake is a bit far down, I wonder why they designed it in that way, I can never get used to it when I drive his car.

Finally, that clutch switch, so basically you removed the switch and tied a piece of wire around it, I assume to keep switch pressed in? This way you don't need to press your clutch in to start it? The bit I don't understand is wen you say...I can now start my car from the outside???

aye pot a piece of copper wire around the pins and push in the connector not in to far and when i said i can start the car from outside i mean i can start it with the key from outside the car dont need to push the clutch or nothing sometimes i want to warm mine up in the morning. problem is though is might be a problem with mot bypassing switch 

11 hours ago, 2009joe said:

aye pot a piece of copper wire around the pins and push in the connector not in to far and when i said i can start the car from outside i mean i can start it with the key from outside the car dont need to push the clutch or nothing sometimes i want to warm mine up in the morning. problem is though is might be a problem with mot bypassing switch 

Hi 2009joe,

Sounds good to me, what year is your avensis? 

Do you have a start button on your key fob remote?

I didn't know the Avensis had that feature?

9 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi 2009joe,

Sounds good to me, what year is your avensis? 

Do you have a start button on your key fob remote?

I didn't know the Avensis had that feature?

mine is 2014 business edition its got 45k on it now aye i turned off the annoying seat belt bell bing bing bing and the push clutch to start as crossing the wire . nope no push start i start it myself with turning the key myself 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Does anybody know the name of the switch under the clutch pedal? Or a part number maybe? And let me know if its a DIY job? 

Cheers

Really appreciate it

I've never changed one, but they are usually called a clutch pedal switch.

5 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

I've never changed one, but they are usually called a clutch pedal switch.

Cheers, I'll call the dealers to get a price next week. Appreciate your help

A quick search on eBay, does it look like this?

Screenshot_20211210-172445_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-172430_eBay.jpg