Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road or left kerb distortion through windscreen

TruBlu

UK Yaris 2021. Has anyone noticed a distortion in the view of the left side road marking (white line) or kerb through the base of the windscreen.

I ask this as I have noticed the the kerb or white line is distorted/bent in towards the car, giving the very disturbing feeling that the left side of the road is going under the car. This could make you inadvertently quickly steer the car to the right avoiding the left kerb or roadside. Distorted vision through the windscreen could be a safety issue. Noticeable more on a B road or when driving close the the left road side at windscreen wiper level.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, TruBlu said:

UK Yaris 2021. Has anyone noticed a distortion in the view of the left side road marking (white line) or kerb through the base of the windscreen.

I ask this as I have noticed the the kerb or white line is distorted/bent in towards the car, giving the very disturbing feeling that the left side of the road is going under the car. This could make you inadvertently quickly steer the car to the right avoiding the left kerb or roadside. Distorted vision through the windscreen could be a safety issue. Noticeable more on a B road or when driving close the the left road side at windscreen wiper level.

I must try and remember to have a look at that tomorrow 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, TruBlu said:

Do you wear glasses or other vision enhancer? If you do, could it be those that are causing this.

Apart from that, once you know this effect is present makes it easier to ignore it, you don’t let your eyes get fooled. Normally your vision would be further into the distance, presumably the effect is not in the distance. The brain will adjust.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

Do you wear glasses or other vision enhancer? If you do, could it be those that are causing this.

Apart from that, once you know this effect is present makes it easier to ignore it, you don’t let your eyes get fooled. Normally your vision would be further into the distance, presumably the effect is not in the distance. The brain will adjust.

Yes I do wear glasses but never noticed this before. You are correct that most of the time your eyes focus on distance, that's why I mentioned B roads which are much narrower and you tend to notice the side if the road more, especially if driving in fog. This is very noticeable if there is a white line on the left verge side. 

I noticed the distortion, a few centimeters near the edge of the glass.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baxuz said:

I noticed the distortion, a few centimeters near the edge of the glass.

So it's not just me then. It gives you the impression that you are going off the road as it looks like the kerb or verge is going under the front of the car - inside the left front wheel..... not good.

More visible when the wipers move out of the way, as it is more noticeable where the windscreen joins the dashboard.

Hmm, not noticed it myself but I'll try to remember to see tomorrow. Had a look on my Dashcam footage but didn't really notice anything, but as the Dashcam already has a slight fish-eye to it that's not a great test.

• 3 weeks later...

My Yaris thankfully does not have this, but the courtesy Yaris that I had today while my car was with the dealer did. I do not know what benefit this would bring.

8 minutes ago, exim said:

My Yaris thankfully does not have this, but the courtesy Yaris that I had today while my car was with the dealer did. I do not know what benefit this would bring.

If you can make a note if the windscreens of both cars has same numbers, marks , branding, just in case owners can establish if there is something wrong with particular make of the glass, series or anything to help manufacturer differentiate and sort it out. Seems to me like faulty parts been supplied. 

I get this in my CHR. Can't remember seeing it when I bought it however I've had 3 new windscreens and they've all done it.

Just in case your wondering, I've decided my car is a flying stone magnet😂🤣

• Like 1

This is more noticeable when the windscreen wipers are out of the way (operating) as the distortion is at the very base of the windscreen.

• Like 1

Is it caused by a reflection of the dash ? Put a non-reflective item (dash mat etc) in that corner of the dash

No, a few cm of the actual glass at the bottom appears sort of concave so it visually bends in the area

2 hours ago, exim said:

No, a few cm of the actual glass at the bottom appears sort of concave so it visually bends in the area

Exactly. It also depends how far forward or back you have the seat and also the height. This is easily noticed when driving on a narrow road close to the left and there is a white line or double yellow lines. With the wipers out of the way the left side lines bend in and appear to go under the car.... this can cause the driver to veer to the right (on to on-coming traffic) because it gives the appearance that you are going off the road. Quite dangerous really and Toyota should look in to this.

I had one 2021 Yaris which had a distortion / ripples in the windscreen, I rejected this successfully for other reasons. I now have a replacement 2021 Yaris and his has no distortion / ripples in the windscreen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've now managed to take some pictures of the road distortion through the windscreen.

Notice the white parking space lines appearing to bend in under the car (where the windscreen meets the dashboard). This is very disconcerting when it is the edge of the road... giving the feeling that you are going off the road... NOT GOOD!

Distortion 01.jpg

Distortion 02.jpg

Distortion 03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:43 AM, TruBlu said:

Toyota should look in to this.

Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, and Toyota don't visit the Club, so won't see this query.

What you haven't said is whether you have raised the issue with either your dealer or Toyota GB. So has it been raised with your dealer or Toyota GB, and, if so, what has been the response??

Lol, that’s bad enough to be a safety issue and a reason for recall imo. My advice is to do a report with the pictures provided directly to Toyota uk and ask for help. Best to call and arrange all before send to them an email. Dealers eventually has to do the recall. That is very kind and helpful that you had shared the pictures here so other Yaris owners can double check with their cars. Well done 👍 

• Thanks 1

Hmm... I see what you mean, but that area is usually covered by the wipers, and I swear every car I've owned since they started bonding the windscreen to the car instead of using a rubber surround has had a distortion like that at the extreme edges due to the way the glass curves...

Might have been a dodgy batch of screens - cant see that's recall worthy, more of a TSB for dealers that Toyota are a wear & its been corrected on later built cars in case a Yaris owner raises the issue.

Is there anyone with the same car and no issues who can take a photo? I'm having this exact same issue and I believe it's present in all units sold and is within spec since multiple cars at the dealer's had the same issue.

• Like 1

I tried to have a look at mine on the way home - Was tricky to see because it was getting dark and I was just being constantly beamed in the face by oncoming drivers (Soooo many ultra bright LED lights being flashed at me due to the uneven road surfaces - It is not doing my eyes any good! :crybaby: ).

However, as far as I can see, mine doesn't have this edge distortion, certainly nothing as pronounced as in the images.

That said, I am sitting quite high (Like a proper OG Yaris driver should! :laugh: ) so the lines of the road don't reach the edge of the glass where the distortion is from my viewpoint, as the bonnet is there, so this isn't very conclusive...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I tried to have a look at mine on the way home - Was tricky to see because it was getting dark and I was just being constantly beamed in the face by oncoming drivers (Soooo many ultra bright LED lights being flashed at me due to the uneven road surfaces - It is not doing my eyes any good! :crybaby: ).

However, as far as I can see, mine doesn't have this edge distortion, certainly nothing as pronounced as in the images.

That said, I am sitting quite high (Like a proper OG Yaris driver should! :laugh: ) so the lines of the road don't reach the edge of the glass where the distortion is from my viewpoint, as the bonnet is there, so this isn't very conclusive...

Perhaps you can try at some car park with marked bays to be as close as on the pictures for best comparison. I am scared to look at mine because if I see something like that , that’s it, my view will be concentrated exactly at that spot for days and I will be so upset 😠😅

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Please enlighten this old country boy, what is a proper OG Yaris driver ??🤔

I don't know when, how or why but for some reason OG has become internet slang to mean like, original or oldschool or old-style, traditional, that sort of sentiment. It was a tongue-in-cheek statement, because the original Yaris Mk1 and Mk2's (The last True Yarisesusies if you ask me! :wink1::laugh:) had very high and upright seating positions, almost Transit-van-esque (Evidence you can have an elevated view without having to buy a stupid SUV or Crossover!!), compared to the Mk3 and esp. the Mk4 which have much more conventional lower and tilted seating positions (I almost feel like I'm lying down in the Mk4 compared to the Mk1 and Mk2 :laugh: )

Don't try it in sentences with your kids as it's already out of date and they'll just roll their eyes at grownups trying to be cool :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links