Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla headlights: Bi-LED vs panorama LED?

MikiMaz

Hi, it's me again hesitating between different trims of the Corolla TS.  Now I wonder whether the Bi-LED headlights are brighter and have a better light beam than the parabola LEDs? The dealer says that the difference is only aesthetic but my impression is that the Bi-LED is brighter. Is it possible to find some comparison? Thanks

Hi MikiMaz,

get Bi-LED lights. If they are not brighter, car looks much better.

I get Corolla TS 2 months ago in Style trim in Croatia, with panorama LED and now i want to upgrade lights to Bi-LED but i don't know if upgrade is just plug'n'play or more complicated.

Regards

They only look fancier but emit the same light., this is confirmed by few members who has both variants on their cars. As long as they are bright and work well not sure just for the look is it worth changing it. 👍

• Like 1

Hi, thank you for your replies.

I did not have a good opportunity to compare the two versions, neither have I found any comparisons by others. I tried to compare the two headlights at the dealers and it seemed to me that the Bi-LED was way brighter. I know this was not a reliable 'measurement', I might have been wrong. Just for the look I probably would not have chosen the Bi-LED, but brightness is a very important point for me because I am suffering with my old halogens now a lot.

In Hungary, the Style trim option includes the Bi-LED headlights too. It's interesting how different these trims are in the various countries, even in the same region (or the name 'Style' has a different meaning).

Thanks

Bi-LED also has washing, which is required for higher outputs lights. It's necessary that it's brighter. But it can be.

I have parabola reflector LED headlights on my corolla and I find them quite poor. Especially the high beam, it has very narrow beam. So, while cornering it is not really illuminating the road. Considering that the projection LEDs have a washer system (so I have read here) they are probably brighter, because above 2000 Lumens, it is mandatory. But as Marxo88 has pointed out, it is not necessary.

One thing to note, parabola reflector LED headlights are not necessarily bad. For example, there are headlights with 5 chambers, 3 for low beam and 2 for high beam, there are also systems with 2 LB and 2 HB chambers.  Corolla only has 2 low and 1 high. This is probably why the HB beam is so narow.

Light output is logarithmic output. So, for example, 2000 Lumens won't be twice as bright for our eyes as 1000 Lumens. But you will need more like 4000 Lumens to see twice as bright light.
Also, some here stated "same" output from Bi-LED and single projector lights, but in reality, they can be 1999 Lumens for single projector and 2500 Lumens for Bi-LED(I just made up these numbers).
My previous hobby was collecting and modding flashlights, and there is no way to distinguish 2000 to 3000 lumens lights by the naked eye, even if they have similar light patterns and temperatures. So if there is a wider spread, the only way is to take measurements to have correct output numbers.
The eye also adopts light output. Take good headlights and be satisfied with them, then go to a friend who was a lightbar on the top of his jeep. They go back to your previously "good" headlights. You will be surprised.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clix said:

I have parabola reflector LED headlights on my corolla and I find them quite poor. Especially the high beam, it has very narrow beam. So, while cornering it is not really illuminating the road.

That is fascinating.  Obviously, Toyota has some experience of designing low-output headlamps with the Auris (Valeo) design from the previous model.

You have an unusual amount of knowledge on the subject of headlamp design!  Is there somewhere that a regular owner can learn more about headlamp design considerations (website?)?  Your comment on the headlamp chambers is also interesting, in 2019 I posted this:

That headlamp in the above link has the 5 chamber design, but then it was off a current BMW 3 series, although still a Valeo product.  I think someone at Toyota is actually specifying these lights to be at an, er, 'unfortunately' low price point. 

But I would be delighted to be shown some other side to this decision of Toyota's. 

Naturally, these features aren't obvious in the showroom, or even a normal daytime test drive (just as the low-output horn wouldn't be) so they don't necessarily hamper a car sale.  And magazine road tests seem to be rarely covering this aspect of the car, which is a shame.

• Like 2

My current car ( 2016 built 308 T9 ) has Valeo LED headlamps, while they are better then anything I've driven with halogen, the light output on dipped beam is pretty average due to the focused beam pattern & sharp cut off.

I've drive a couple of the new Vauxhall Corsa with LED headlamps & there performance is brilliant on dipped - its just newer design / technology moves the game along.

2 hours ago, clix said:

I have parabola reflector LED headlights on my corolla and I find them quite poor. Especially the high beam, it has very narrow beam.

This is exactly what my impression was at the dealers. I had no way to "measure" the light brightness and distribution, but I found the parabola LED beam visibly weaker and the high beam surprisingly narrow.

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

Naturally, these features aren't obvious in the showroom, or even a normal daytime test drive (just as the low-output horn wouldn't be) so they don't necessarily hamper a car sale.  And magazine road tests seem to be rarely covering this aspect of the car, which is a shame.

Absolutely agree. It is really difficult to find detailed information on the lighting characteristics of a car although it is a very important point for potential owners.

These adaptive head lights should be banned on all makes and models, although they has some obvious benefit they are also very distracting for all other drivers and even can cause a serious accidents. If your car has ones fitted you may disagree, but if you are the driver in the car on the front or the one oncoming side you will understand what I mean. Been watching and monitoring these particular event for sometime now., definitely a risk for all other road users. 

• Like 3

I dont believe that the difference between the two is only cosmetic. It doesn't make sense if it is.

The Bi-Led lights must have some benefict over the parabola ones.

While we discussing about headlights, is it possible to replace headlight 81110/81150 (panorama LED) with Bi-LED? 

I have 81110/81150-02S60 installed and i want it to replace it with 81130/81170-02S70. From my point of view, i think it should be possible, but i am a Toyota newbie. Is there any expert who can help me?

lights.jpg

On the iihs.org you can check some reviews of the headlamps.

For example, here is corolla review:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Toyota/corolla-4-door-hatchback/2021#headlights

Sadly, this is US organisation / site, so they have different versions of the headlamps. On the upper link, there are 3 headlamps tested, but all three of them are LED projector type, and no reflector type. It seems that this version is not available in the US. Too bad, they don't show the pictures of the HLs tested, as some variants could be the same in europe.

--

With a little bit of digging around on the site, it looks like they tested 2019 Jetta, with reflector headlamp, It got P, as a Poor:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/volkswagen/jetta-4-door-sedan/2021#headlights
Probably this one:

https://www.apbparts.com/store/p7639/Volkswagen_Jetta_2019_2020_OEM_Right_Side_Passenger_LED_Headlight_17A941036A.html

On the picture it looks like the general concept is similar, 3 reflector chambers. I am not implying at all, that the performance is the same or even similar to the corolla, just showing stuff, that you guys might find interesting.

But yes, the only reason that they have different versions, is that they are saving money on the cheaper ones. Why would they otherwise pay for the development of multiple versions? And the side product of making it cheaper, is sadly making it worse. If, for some reason, the cheaper would turn out equal or better to the more expensive one, why don't they just put the cheaper on all cars, and save even more? 🙂

7 hours ago, rkovacec said:

While we discussing about headlights, is it possible to replace headlight 81110/81150 (panorama LED) with Bi-LED? 

I have 81110/81150-02S60 installed and i want it to replace it with 81130/81170-02S70. From my point of view, i think it should be possible, but i am a Toyota newbie. Is there any expert who can help me?

lights.jpg

In my country, on hatchback and TS, you can have reflector LED or matrix AHS LED projector HL. Considering, that you need some logic that will turn segments on and off, I would be very careful, and really make sure if they can be exchanged. Even if the logic is built in the car (all cars have auto high beam, for example) more expensive version might need different wire harness and/or different connector. This should definitely be checked prior to ordering. And even than, the ECU or software on it can be different for different HL.

I believe, that the sedan in europe has projector lights that are not adaptive (not matrix). But it looks like they have diferent design and might not fit in to the bumper.

13 hours ago, Marxon88 said:

Bi-LED also has washing, which is required for higher outputs lights. It's necessary that it's brighter. But it can be.

Once again someone is making a statement without either checking or qualifying it. I have an Excel with bi-led headlights and it does not have washers. It is UK spec. 

I tried both types of headlights, the single led ones on a three week loan while waiting for my Excel to be delivered. Once I got the Excel I noticed a considerable improvement in the headlights. One very big advantage that I have noticed that LEDs have over halogens is that they don’t crust up with dirt/salt in the winter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian.S said:

One very big advantage that I have noticed that LEDs have over halogens is that they don’t crust up with dirt/salt in the winter. 

That's due to the cooler operating temperature of a LED headlamp.

Unless you clean them regularly - they will attract dirt eventually which will affect the light output, some Rain X suitable for plastic lens helps stop / delay this.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:22 AM, Marxon88 said:

No wash on my Excel (UK) 😔, unless it's been added to later models?

13 hours ago, Ian.S said:

Once again someone is making a statement without either checking or qualifying it. I have an Excel with bi-led headlights and it does not have washers. It is UK spec. 

I tried both types of headlights, the single led ones on a three week loan while waiting for my Excel to be delivered. Once I got the Excel I noticed a considerable improvement in the headlights. One very big advantage that I have noticed that LEDs have over halogens is that they don’t crust up with dirt/salt in the winter. 

Look at the UK Corolla catalog, page 8, a visible cover of the washing nozzle.  🙂

https://www.toyota.co.uk/order-a-brochure?modcorolla-tsspanpan widget

The disclaimer on the rear cover does state that images may not be to exact UK specification. The moral is to always read the small print first before making assumptions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The disclaimer on the rear cover does state that images may not be to exact UK specification. The moral is to always read the small print first before making assumptions.

Contact your local Toyota importer (Toyota UK or Ireland) because they have a misleading catalog.

1 hour ago, Marxon88 said:

Look at the UK Corolla catalog, page 8, a visible cover of the washing nozzle.  🙂

https://www.toyota.co.uk/order-a-brochure?modcorolla-tsspanpan widget

The main photo on the same page doesn't show it - my guess is the inset is actually for/from a market with  washers. Look through and you see a couple of the lower grades seem to show but Excel doesn't show. I was surprised when I got my 2018 Auris with LED's that it didn't have washers and further surprised that the auto levelling was not present on the Corolla (it was on the '18 Auris). But honestly having had cars with washers it only works a bit better and eventually needs a good clean. Just uses up the washer fluid quicker.

44 minutes ago, Marxon88 said:

Contact your local Toyota importer (Toyota UK or Ireland) because they have a misleading catalog.

Not it isn't misleading as they have a disclaimer on the back cover to say that images may not be to exact UK specifications. Included within the disclaimer is that they also reserve the right to change specifications without notice. Other countries will probably have something similar.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not it isn't misleading as they have a disclaimer on the back cover to say that images may not be to exact UK specifications. Included within the disclaimer is that they also reserve the right to change specifications without notice. Other countries will probably have something similar.

So I can expect to have delivered Rolls-Royce since pictures in the catalog are just illustrative manner. Great.

And yes, they can change everything without notice, specs, and pricing. It's in their terms also here in Slovenia.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links