Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi from Newbie .. Yaris CD

AshimotoK0

Hi my name is Ash from Willerby East Yorkshire. Thanks so much for adding me 

My wife has a 2016 Yaris 1.4 Icon Auto  model with Touch2Go Sat Nav/Audio system.

She is always moaning about the lack of a CD player in it . I found a decent USB add on one intended for Fords but will work with other compatible audio systems.

I asked the question if it will work with the 2016 yaris and the seller replied :-

"This item is only Compatible with head units running on Android 4.4 or with a USB Media player that supports .wav file playback, if unsure what system you have, you will need to ask your local main dealer"

Does anyone know if the Yaris can support .wav audio files and if not does anyone know of a decent add on CD (USB or FM transmit or bluetooth please?

I did own another Toyota, which I just sold off as it was unused for over 3 years  (literally started 1st turn of the key after new fuel and 3-years outside and unused!) .. a 1995 Toyota Carina E 1.6i 'Solair' model. My elderly neighbour (sadly RIP now)  gave me for free it a few years ago, when he stopped driving .. it had 16 main dealer stamps and 11k miles on it when  got  it . What a totally, utterly reliable roomy car that was. I guess it must have come from Burnaston Derby when they first started up.  I also once had a Mk1 1980 Starlet .. another truly amazing little car, pre-dating  all of the catalytic converter additions and really good on MPG.

Many thanks...   Ash

There's whole topic here, about a similar subject :

Need a CD player

But why ? It's so easy to use a USB stick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

There's whole topic here, about a similar subject :

Need a CD player

But why ? It's so easy to use a USB stick. 

It's the old debate.   I have literally hundreds of CDs and neither the time nor the inclination to burn them.  

• Like 1

Moved to the Yaris club.

52 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It's the old debate.   I have literally hundreds of CDs and neither the time nor the inclination to burn them.  

There used to be services that would do it for you, I doesn't take so long to do a few at time, but yes, if you decide to so them all it is definitely time consuming. I have been lucky, I've had time over the years, when I didn't much have anything else to do. Plus, I don't mind organising files on computers.

2 mins to rip a CD, I usually do mine in the background while on the net or listening to music, I raid the charity shops and boot sales in the past for cd's then rip them to a NAS

21 minutes ago, flash22 said:

2 mins to rip a CD, I usually do mine in the background while on the net or listening to music, I raid the charity shops and boot sales in the past for cd's then rip them to a NAS

Or external drive or drives, if you are in the Apple sphere it’s easy to setup disc shares across the home network, etc. It’s easy in windows too, iirc. 

I am surprised when people younger than me are “attached” to CD, I’ve never got around to ripping LP’s though.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I have literally tons of music on MP3 and I put loads  of it  on a USB memory stick for my wife to use but for some reason she want's to play her old CD's in the Yaris, just like she did in her Mitsi Colt, which  she had previously.  She has  even threatened to go into a Toyota dealer to have a CD player fitted as she doesn't believe me that you can't buy one as an 'optional extra !!! Yes I know it defies logic but I am just doing what I a told.

This is the unit I was thinking of buying for her: BUT does the Yaris  Touch & go system support the .wav files?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174356297477?hash=item289871f705:g:yvYAAOSwLfxeL2Ee

This description below would suggest that it may do.

https://www.vleeuwen.net/toyota-touch-go-explained/

Someone posted in the other discussion:-

"What you are looking for is an ADV-USBCD but it's not cheap

As above, it's cheaper to rip them and put them on a USB stick."

Stick some 44.1kHz 16-bit WAV files on a USB stick and see if it will play them - If it does, it does!

48 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Stick some 44.1kHz 16-bit WAV files on a USB stick and see if it will play them - If it does, it does!

Thanks... yes i considered that earlier today but didn't know what resolution .wav files I needed.

tbh if it supports WAVs it should support any frequency and bit depth, but I just suggested that particular combo as that's almost certainly what that CD USB stick emulator drive will present to the head unit! :laugh: 

Your link is for an ADV-USBCD it emulates a USB memory stick, the CD drive converts the CD to something the headunit can see !!! It's plug and play, no need to convert anything

From the manual

"Note: Compatible with head units running on Android 4.4 or with USB media player that supports .WMA or .WAV file playback"

The Touch2 supports .WMA and .WAV playback

http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/ADV-USBCD_v1.pdf

Very rare you get a CD drive in laptops now. Downloading onto a USB is the future - for now. 😉

3 hours ago, Starensis said:

Very rare you get a CD drive in laptops now. Downloading onto a USB is the future - for now. 😉

Which is one reason something like a MacBook Pro 2011/2012 is such a great buy now, especially if you are not afraid to put an SSD in it.

lol, pioneer external usb dvd rw is £26, i have been on industry standard pc's from Windows 3.11, NT server and win 95, i have done support for Apple desktops for years, lots of custom hardware and expensive to repair don't get me wrong mac's have their place, but that's a discussion for another day

On 12/2/2021 at 4:11 PM, flash22 said:

lol, pioneer external usb dvd rw is £26, i have been on industry standard pc's from Windows 3.11, NT server and win 95, i have done support for apple desktops for years, lots of custom hardware and expensive to repair don't get me wrong mac's have their place, but that's a discussion for another day

Why buy an external CD drive - when you can download music straight from the internet? Never missed having a CD drive on a laptop or player in car.

On 12/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, flash22 said:

lol, pioneer external usb dvd rw is £26, i have been on industry standard pc's from Windows 3.11, NT server and win 95, i have done support for apple desktops for years, lots of custom hardware and expensive to repair don't get me wrong mac's have their place, but that's a discussion for another day

Well yes, you are totally right there, but I bought my MBP this year and love it, I don't use the CD/DVD drive much but it's nice to have it included. I was thinking a much bigger picture, but then I like computers (mostly!).

I'm with the USB on this one, bought the wife a 15plate icon, no CD and she said the same till I stuck her 999 tracks on a USB stick put it on random play sorted. Once you have copied any Album on your computer it's in your music folder and will never need copying again it's in the Library

Some people don't get on well with newer/any technology, It is a physical media thing, put a disc/tape/record on, and it works, or it doesn't

yes i do like physical media, turn the HIFI on, plop in a CD and hit play, sometimes it's just nice not being bombarded by technology

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Some people don't get on well with newer/any technology, It is a physical media thing, put a disc/tape/record on, and it works, or it doesn't

yes i do like physical media, turn the HIFI on, plop in a CD and hit play, sometimes it's just nice not being bombarded by technology

I just like the fact I can have ~900 albums available in the car via usb - without having to store CD’s in a big box in the boot. No CD’s rattling around or being damaged in the small glovebox or non-existent space in centre console. 👍 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I just like the fact I can have ~900 albums available in the car via usb - without having to store CD’s in a big box in the boot. No CD’s rattling around or being damaged in the small glovebox or non-existent space in centre console. 👍 

The Yaris can handle that many (900 CD x 10 tracks per CD = 9000 tracks ?), I could never get my 208 past about 3500, no matter how many I put on the USB stick (64gB) ?

39 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

The Yaris can handle that many (900 CD x 10 tracks per CD = 9000 tracks ?), I could never get my 208 past about 3500, no matter how many I put on the USB stick (64gB) ?

9999 tracks within 3000 albums - according to manual

4AC65F04-4A1B-40E5-B40E-66E261661B12.jpeg

• Thanks 1

OK, thanks. I couldn't find, for the moment, similar information for the Yaris IV. Apparently, the Yaris III is limited to 32gB, so it depends on the bit rate, too, as to how many songs can be indexed.

25 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

OK, thanks. I couldn't find, for the moment, similar information for the Yaris IV. Apparently, the Yaris III is limited to 32gB, so it depends on the bit rate, too, as to how many songs can be indexed.

That was from my C-HR, so not representative of the Mk3. Should be on Mk4 though.