Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi from Newbie .. Yaris CD

AshimotoK0

On 12/1/2021 at 7:59 PM, Cyker said:

Stick some 44.1kHz 16-bit WAV files on a USB stick and see if it will play them - If it does, it does!

Yaris IV will support FLAC files, which is mo' better than WAV, IMO, coz you can put metadata in FLAC files, and you can't in WAV. OTOH, I can't find any information about how much disk space (32gB at least, since that's what the Yaris III would index) you can use. FLAC uses quite a bit more space than mp3/aac though. Don't really think there's any advantage to it, unless you can whack a biggish SSD onto the car's USB socket, that you use elsewhere - it'll save duplication of files.

3 minutes ago, Starensis said:

That was from my C-HR, so not representative of the Mk3. Should be on Mk4 though.

There's a thread here :

Touch 2 limit for tracks and artists

There's a reply from @flash22 that says the Touch 2 is limited to 32 gB (for 2017 Yaris)

4 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

There's a thread here :

Touch 2 limit for tracks and artists

There's a reply from @flash22 that says the Touch 2 is limited to 32 gB (for 2017 Yaris)

I’m using 32gb memory stick. Think I’ve got ~180 albums with ~ 3000 songs atm. Still have 7gb spare. I’d think that’s more than enough to get by on. 😉

@Starensis You must be using a low bit rate. I use 320 kbps (I like to kid myself I can hear the difference in the car - some chance I suspect!)

Think I’m using same on downloads.

On 12/1/2021 at 6:36 PM, AshimotoK0 said:

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I have literally tons of music on MP3 and I put loads  of it  on a USB memory stick for my wife to use but for some reason she want's to play her old CD's in the Yaris, just like she did in her Mitsi Colt, which  she had previously.  She has  even threatened to go into a Toyota dealer to have a CD player fitted as she doesn't believe me that you can't buy one as an 'optional extra !!! Yes I know it defies logic but I am just doing what I a told.

This is the unit I was thinking of buying for her: BUT does the Yaris  Touch & go system support the .wav files?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174356297477?hash=item289871f705:g:yvYAAOSwLfxeL2Ee

This description below would suggest that it may do.

https://www.vleeuwen.net/toyota-touch-go-explained/

Someone posted in the other discussion:-

"What you are looking for is an ADV-USBCD but it's not cheap

As above, it's cheaper to rip them and put them on a USB stick."

Let her go into the dealership

wont cost you anything

just make sure not to say I told you so

although get someone to video it for the laughs

On 12/1/2021 at 6:36 PM, AshimotoK0 said:

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I have literally tons of music on MP3 and I put loads  of it  on a USB memory stick for my wife to use but for some reason she want's to play her old CD's in the Yaris, just like she did in her Mitsi Colt, which  she had previously.  She has  even threatened to go into a Toyota dealer to have a CD player fitted as she doesn't believe me that you can't buy one as an 'optional extra !!! Yes I know it defies logic but I am just doing what I a told.

This is the unit I was thinking of buying for her: BUT does the Yaris  Touch & go system support the .wav files?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174356297477?hash=item289871f705:g:yvYAAOSwLfxeL2Ee

This description below would suggest that it may do.

https://www.vleeuwen.net/toyota-touch-go-explained/

Someone posted in the other discussion:-

"What you are looking for is an ADV-USBCD but it's not cheap

As above, it's cheaper to rip them and put them on a USB stick."

Just send her to Halfords and they’ll change her radio to a single din unit with cd

I was only saying to use test WAVs on the USB stick as that is what this bizarre CD USB stick emulator ( :laugh: ) will present to the headunit.

To spit out anything else, that drive would need a chip to transcode from raw 44.1kHz 16-bit PCM 'digital audio' to an MP3/FLAC/whatever, but that needs processing power and thus extra manufacturing and development costs.

As this is likely a cheap made-in-china special, the quick and dirty thing to do is to take the stream of digital audio from the CD, stick a WAV header on it, and send that to the headunit - This requires almost no processing  and so saves manufacturing costs, but does require the headunit support WAV!

Why transcode to MP3?  Simply forward the original 44.1 16 bit PCM data as a WAW file.  Obviously the CD reader needs a little of processing to trick the multimedia system to show the CD tracks as WAV files but I think it's no more of what a standard PC CD reader does. 

Exactly! That's why that device needs WAV support in the headunit. Anything else would have needed more work and thus expense, and given that's quite a niche product in the first place, they would have wanted to do as little as possible for maximum profit margin or it wouldn't be worth their while.

I don't want to  hack this post but being as we are on about the USB, I love the USB over the CD but, here's the question, the wife has a 2015 Mk3 active Yaris and in the past I would load a number of tracks onto a CD as MP3's not a problem on her old car, but I don't want to load albums onto a USB stick I just want to load tracks, hundreds and just let it random play, I didn't know there was problem till the wife tried to find a track when I thought I'd put her 999 of anything on a stick and thought I'd give her a bit more of her style of music. The problem is I spent all day selecting tracks, ripping, removing and sending tracks to a memory stick, in all I stuck 461 tracks on a USB stick for starters and no matter what I do, when in the car it says 255 tracks all MP3's on the USB stick. All play perfectly well on the computer, tried the memory stick in my car a Vauxhall and it says 112. Can the Yaris only deal with 255 single tracks and would I have to create Various folders/Albums 255 in each for them to play, not sure if the handbook will tell what I need to know but I'll have a look while waiting for someone who has already had this problem.

Must admit I never tried that many as mine are all in folders!

Does the Mk3 not have a random mode? On the Mk2 and Mk4 you can tell it to play random by current folder (Press random once) or all folders (Press random twice)

1 hour ago, wildtapholer said:

I don't want to  hack this post but being as we are on about the USB, I love the USB over the CD but, here's the question, the wife has a 2015 Mk3 active Yaris and in the past I would load a number of tracks onto a CD as MP3's not a problem on her old car, but I don't want to load albums onto a USB stick I just want to load tracks, hundreds and just let it random play, I didn't know there was problem till the wife tried to find a track when I thought I'd put her 999 of anything on a stick and thought I'd give her a bit more of her style of music. The problem is I spent all day selecting tracks, ripping, removing and sending tracks to a memory stick, in all I stuck 461 tracks on a USB stick for starters and no matter what I do, when in the car it says 255 tracks all MP3's on the USB stick. All play perfectly well on the computer, tried the memory stick in my car a Vauxhall and it says 112. Can the Yaris only deal with 255 single tracks and would I have to create Various folders/Albums 255 in each for them to play, not sure if the handbook will tell what I need to know but I'll have a look while waiting for someone who has already had this problem.

My understanding is there is a limit per folder. Think it’s 255. You can have numerous folders, all with 255 tracks, but limit is 9999 tracks in total.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Must admit I never tried that many as mine are all in folders!

Does the Mk3 not have a random mode? On the Mk2 and Mk4 you can tell it to play random by current folder (Press random once) or all folders (Press random twice)

Yes it's got random play, my thoughts were like Starensis about the 255, problem is it's put all the tracks in Alphabetical order so say folder 1 would only play tracks  begining with A or C I'll have to put them into eg Various 1, Various 2 etc ands see if I can get round it that way A-C  D-F there's an awful amount of tracks start with, The. Before I try, I'll have to some how, try to jumble all the tracks up again

I mean, just see if there is a random mode that uses all tracks - As I said, mine have always been in folders, but in my Mk4, my Mk2 and even my Mk1 with the USB/SD CD changer emulator, I could tell it to randomly play files from ANY folder, not just the current one.

In all three cars I just had to press the randomize button twice - It must surely be the same on the Mk3...!

If I press random and it shows me 255 tracks it will play random tracks from those 255 tracks it knows are there and shows me what track number it is, if it was to say, pick a song out from one of the 206 hidden files I wouldn't know cause I can't see them, if it could do that and as to putting 255 in each folder, I'll have to work on that.

Sounds to me like an indexing problem. The system is obviously using 1 byte (hex ‘01’ to hex ‘FF’ = 255) to count everything, except the overall number of tracks, which is limited by the display (4 digits - 9999).

I’ve always thought in terms of albums, so my usb sticks are indexed by artist, and then album.

I’ve had problems with not seeing everything I put on a stick, and I bet it’s related to the indexing capabilities of the car’s infotainment system.

It's an indexing limit as its a 32bit system so limited 255, split it in to folders

I’m quite anal wrt setting up my USB. I change all folders to music type, then tag album field with artist and album name. This allows use of the album tab in car system to select by artist/album.

A bit OTT i know, but works for me.

3 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I’m quite anal wrt setting up my USB. I change all folders to Music type, then tag album field with artist and album name. This allows use of the album tab in car system to select by artist/album.

A bit OTT i know, but works for me.

I think you have me beat, but that's along the lines of what I do, or have done. With only the album name, if it's "Best of" or "Greatest hits" or "The essential", and very occasionally you'll get other album titles that are common between artists. Most of the time, I can't be bothered to change everything, just on the USB stick.

17 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I think you have me beat, but that's along the lines of what I do, or have done. With only the album name, if it's "Best of" or "Greatest hits" or "The essential", and very occasionally you'll get other album titles that are common between artists. Most of the time, I can't be bothered to change everything, just on the USB stick.

I write artist and album name in Album title column in windows. This helps when looking for a particular album ( many of mine are “Hits”, so adding artist name help select the one I want) when on “Album” tag in car.

• Like 1

Wow, all I do is rip the Album, store it in computer library and take the track out what I need, it then displays the song title, artist, and Album from which it came from, think I'll have to create Two folders like Flash 22 said and call them Various 1 and Various 2 and add Various 3 and 4 later.

Can’t divulge how I rip my music, but it’s not from CD. This is why I have to edit text.

39 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

Wow, all I do is rip the Album, store it in computer library and take the track out what I need, it then displays the song title, artist, and Album from which it came from, think I'll have to create Two folders like Flash 22 said and call them Various 1 and Various 2 and add Various 3 and 4 later.

You need to look into something like MP3TAG, it will help you identify the tunes once in the car, but editing metadata is time consuming.

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

You need to look into something like MP3TAG, it will help you identify the tunes once in the car, but editing metadata is time consuming.

The software I use already tags, but much depends how the songs have been uploaded to sites I download from. I do like to tag group/artist in album ID as I use album tab in car more than artist.