Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi from Newbie .. Yaris CD

AshimotoK0

8 hours ago, Starensis said:

The software I use already tags, but much depends how the songs have been uploaded to sites I download from. I do like to tag group/artist in album ID as I use album tab in car more than artist.

Yes, that’s a good idea, until now I had never thought about how the car might index the music folders. 
I think I am going to have to index the folders like this:-

1. First letter of album artist
  2. Album Artist-Album

That should get around the limit of 255 items per folder.

Edited by Stopeter44
Clarity

8 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Yes, that’s a good idea, until now I had never thought about how the car might index the music folders. 
I think I am going to have to index the folders like this:-

1. First letter of album artist
  2. Album Artist-Album

That should get around the limit of 255 items per folder.

I have 3 pieces of info in windows. Song title, Contributing artist and Album. Song title does need some editing, but usually ok, Contributing artist needs some editing, then Album I add Artist, Album name. You can also edit all info within folder by selecting all then editing.

Normally takes around 6/7 mins per album. Keeps it all nice and tidy - for me.

Not really talking about metadata, I assume that’s what you are referring to ?

I was talking strictly about the file structure on the usb stick, that is file names, and folder names.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, flash22 said:

It's an indexing limit as its a 32bit system so limited 255, split it in to folders

Being pedantic, wouldn't that limit signify that it's using 8 bits to count the items per folder?

• Like 2

Technically it's 256 not 255, its a 32bit MCU (Renesas R8A77405) Touch2 DA or Jacinto 5 ECO in the case of the Harman nav module (both ARM)

so it's cross-platform between FAT/FAT32 and QNX (what is 3 Linux file systems) and that also has NTFS file support

I'm in the process of working out the JTAG on the touch2 PCB and/or the SDIO, by the looks of it there is also a direct connection to the 48TSOP NAND flash, adding a 2nd USB port is a case of adding the socket, a choke and a few caps, USB current and protection is controlled by a MAX16919 that should allow adjustment of the USB current too

• Like 1

It looks like I'm going to have to put 255 songs on each memory stick, I created 4 folders called Various 1 Various 2 etc with 3 songs in each, put them on the memory stick, thought I could get around the 255 songs if I put 255 songs in each folder, but unit won't recognise folders, only Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs and Genres, so making a folder and calling it after an Album makes no difference it. Unless I rip and Album like say one of the Now 28 Albums take all the songs out and replace them with mine, it should come up with the Album name as Now 28 but with 255 songs in it, might have to try that. I tried the memory stick in my Vauxhall and I think it can fool that because it recognises folders and the 4 folders I placed on to memory stick, it played them like selecting a CD so gonna try it with 112 in each but that doesn't help with the Yaris.

That’s a bind. Do you have software like Jriver that will let you manage a playlist and then copy it to your memory stick ?

Jriver has a function to sync library files to an external player, or usb stick, it will down sample from .flac to .mp3 if you wish. The head unit may recognise the playlist.

1 hour ago, wildtapholer said:

It looks like I'm going to have to put 255 songs on each memory stick, I created 4 folders called Various 1 Various 2 etc with 3 songs in each, put them on the memory stick, thought I could get around the 255 songs if I put 255 songs in each folder, but unit won't recognise folders, only Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs and Genres, so making a folder and calling it after an Album makes no difference it. Unless I rip and Album like say one of the Now 28 Albums take all the songs out and replace them with mine, it should come up with the Album name as Now 28 but with 255 songs in it, might have to try that. I tried the memory stick in my Vauxhall and I think it can fool that because it recognises folders and the 4 folders I placed on to memory stick, it played them like selecting a CD so gonna try it with 112 in each but that doesn't help with the Yaris.

You have to ensure all folders ( Inc Sub folders ) are customised to music folders. This is how one folder of mine looks.

The system in car uses Title, Contributing Artist & Album info. I edit these to ensure when in "Album" tab in car, I can look for an artist also.

Screenshot 2021-12-12 180850.png

Excuse me for being slow, but what does the filepath look like to one the songs in that list ? Do the three columns represent folder names or are they just tags ?

These are what I use in windows. When a file downloads from software I use, it tags all those columns with info - but not always accurate, hence why I have to edit.

When in car, Artist tab uses Artist column on usb, when in album tab, it uses Title ( not name ), Contributing artist and Album to sort from usb. All this I’ve found by trial and error over the past 12 months or so.

By also tagging artist and album in album column, it also allows me to search for an album by artist……if that makes sense. e.g. rather than use artist tab, I can use Album tab only to search for everything. It also sorts by artist, opposed to album.

Hope this makes some sense? If not, I’ll add a screenshot in the car.

Yes it makes sense, but it sounds to me like you are talking about metadata, that is, the ID3 tags. Can you add a filepath column to the display ?

the file path would be something like:-

D:music folder/artist folder/album folder/song title 

I don’t use windows, so I can’t remember exactly how you represent the disk and root folder.

So, on usb root I’ve added a folder called music, sub folders under that then are by Artist, under Artist is Album folder ( can be multiple albums/playlists). Within those folders are the songs as per image I attached.

It doesn’t make much sense to tag Album column with Artist also, as you have a tab in car, however, it’s just something I think helps me.

Okay, that all sounds fine. It’s pretty much standard, and it’s what I do too. However some songs/tunes I mix up and it is helpful to have the artist name in the album tag, and even the song tag.

I still can’t see a reason why you are only getting 255 songs at a time.

7 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Okay, that all sounds fine. It’s pretty much standard, and it’s what I do too. However some songs/tunes I mix up and it is helpful to have the artist name in the album tag, and even the song tag.

I still can’t see a reason why you are only getting 255 songs at a time.

I’m not, it was the Initial question by AshimotoK0

This is the way I found round the 255 song play list as I don't have any software, first pic is some of my play list how it lays it out from ripping, second pic is of the Albums I ripped, third pic is what it showed me in the Yaris head unit. I ripped 2 Albums but 1 was a double, Back to the 70's and Now 72, deleted the contents of the single Album and replaced it with 200 songs from my plays list, then deleted the contents of Now 72 Disc 1 with 200 songs and put what was left in the other, pic 4 shows then how many songs showing 439. As I said it wouldn't let me Title folders, I made on PC as it didn't recognise them but if it was an Album it would allow me to put 200 songs in each.

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• Like 1

@wildtapholer Well done. If you use, say, dBpoweramp or Jriver media center, I’m sure there are others. You could manage the metadata and the file structure more easily.

I found the latest Touch2 manual, the extended one, In it page 142 details the optimum file structure for USB media.1060317215_FolderStructurecopy.thumb.jpg.ace2064db973929e33c129fbbf3deceb.jpg

It says, ideally no more than two levels of folders, but it can resolve up to 8 levels of folder. (The total folder limit is 3000, 255 items per folder, and a total of 9999 files)