Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you find the CHR steering rather light?

BigRedSwitch

Did a couple of long runs (both 90 miles) driving mainly on motorway and fast "A" roads.  I found the steering wandering an inordinate amount.  Tyres are Michelin Primacy 3, tread depth is good, pressure is as per book, no obvious aligment problem. 

Any thoughts?  Maybe reduce front tyre pressures by a couple of psi?  Is there any adjustment possible?

Is this perhaps a characteristic of the tyres themselves and it's something I'll get used to in time?.

BTW, 66.1 mpg and 60.5 mpg.  Far better than my '15 Auris!

• Like 1

We have 2021 2.0 Excel and whist the steering is light it’s fine and we’ve not experienced anything untoward, tracks fine on motorways at speed. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 2020 2.0 Dynamic. Same as AndyRC, I haven't noticed anything unusual.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:33 PM, BigRedSwitch said:

Any thoughts?  Maybe reduce front tyre pressures by a couple of psi?  Is there any adjustment possible?

Does the car have LTA active? I am learning to live with LTA turned on all the time (Yaris IV) and sometimes it corrects trajectory a bit before I do, the sensation is akin to vague steering for an instant.

You sure it's not just the road? There are lots of sections of motorway and A-roads that make the car tramline because they're so worn by HGV traffic.

Otherwise, is usually tyres or tracking.

One thing to note is tyres heat up while used, and that can sometimes alter its centring properties as the heat makes the internal pressures increase - I've noticed different tyres get it worse than others (e.g. Have noticed my current Hankooks are more prone to it than say Dunlops or Conti's I've had in the past, although I am running higher PSI than in previous cars so not entirely fair comparison!).

Has the wheel alignment actually been checked with the gauges OR are you just assuming the alignment is correct due to tyre wear patterns?

Thanks for all the replies to my original post. 

The suggestion that Lane Departure Alert might be the cause is intriguing.  I've switched it off but had no opportunity to test it yet due to illness.  I will get the tracking checked too because at some £160 or so a corner I want to minimise tyre wear.

4 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

The suggestion that Lane Departure Alert might be the cause is intriguing.  I've switched it off but had no opportunity to test it yet due to illness.  I will get the tracking checked too because at some £160 or so a corner I want to minimise tyre wear.

Tbh Toyota cars are rock solid in terms of wheel alignment and how they hold in time and mileage, unless you hit something like kerb or a large pothole enough to cause damage to the wheels or suspension the alignment can remain great for 100k miles or more, yes how I know from personal experience and regular checks 👍, 60k miles without a minute off set not even a millimetre., best to check tyre pressures on cold before driving or the sun has seen the car, then turn the wheel and check tyre wear if it’s even and then you can always book and do alignment, make sure you choose a good garage as many cause more trouble after they touch the car then actually help. Remember strong winds can cause steering wheel issue , lightness or even vibrations, yes correct vibrations like unbalanced tyres caused by the winds when driving on motorways. About the safety futures , I can’t comment on, I have no experience with these and the only safety future in my car is me, the driver 😉👌🏁

4 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

I've come to like LTA, after about 2 weeks with it. Mind you, if you leave the warning beeps active it's really annoying. On the Yaris, I've set steering wheel vibration. Most of the time I don't feel anything, a couple of times it has gently encouraged me to get back in my lane. For instance when I overtook a cyclist and slightly went over the centre line.

I think I'll put it on the back burner for the time being.  I may find I don't notice it now - the car was new to me when I noticed it and perhaps I was over-compensating when LDA kicked-in.

Again, thanks for all your help.

• 3 weeks later...

As a post script: the car seems ok to me so I think it was the LDA causing the vague steering.  Now, I'll turn it back on and try to get accustomed to it.

1 hour ago, BigRedSwitch said:

As a post script: the car seems ok to me so I think it was the LDA causing the vague steering.  Now, I'll turn it back on and try to get accustomed to it.

Some people hate it, but on the country roads around here I find it useful. For example on a long bend and you get distracted by something, such as donkeys or sheepdogs, or whatever, in a field next to the road, the LTA will kick in and gently steer the car in the right direction, and you'll feel it through the steering wheel. Just make sure you don't have the audible warnings, I find that really annoying.

TBH I find all modern electric power steering systems a bit limp and lifeless relative to an old hydraulic system. It's an element of the driving experience that's been sacrificed for marginal efficiency gains, same as with drive-by-wire throttle control.

9 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Some people hate it, but on the country roads around here I find it useful. For example on a long bend and you get distracted by something, such as donkeys or sheepdogs, or whatever, in a field next to the road, the LTA will kick in and gently steer the car in the right direction, and you'll feel it through the steering wheel. Just make sure you don't have the audible warnings, I find that really annoying.

I actually love my LDA

• Like 1