Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse camera on Aygo 2016

LorrieC

Hi everyone, I am now the proud owner of a lovely 2016 Aygo. My problem is that the picture on the reverse camera makes things appear further away than they actually are, making it unreliable for reverse parking. Is there a way to adjust this? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

I also find the camera to give a not realistic image and the lines predicting where you are going (partly cause steering wheel input is not there) are simply one meter wrong.

However they are wrong in the good way. You would think you will hit something while this is really more far away and you would not hit it.

I think you would better get used to driving on camera AND mirrors.

I don't think there is a way to make it better. I added parking sensors as an extra gadget to make reversing more pleasant.

12 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I added parking sensors as an extra gadget to make reversing more pleasant.

I ordered the parking sensors as an option (which it turns out is dealer fitted not factory fitted) when I ordered my Aygo, and find that the reversing sensor beep goes continuous at the same time as the object behind lines up with the red line on the camera so to me it seems just right.

I have the original ones (parking sensors (2)), dealer fitted too. The camera was factory fitted of course.

I only have the system for a month now and my findings were about the camera, not so much the sensors.

When i see f.e. a motorbike that is parked just right of my car when I am reversing, the camera shows me an image as like I would hit the motorbike.
But when i look in the mirror it is just outside the car's range and it will be perfectly on the right side of the car when I continue parking.
I will do the same test and look at the red line next time however. It's possible the bike is just in the picture.

I also find, compared to other cars, that the camera gets blurred completely when driving in the rain from water going up on the camera. It is installed rather low, I think.

We have both on our Aygo and i20. I find the Aygo guidelines fine. One plus point with the i20 is that additional guidelines also show the way the car is steering. Both get affected by dirt in rainy weather despite the cameras being in different positions, and seems to be a common issue with other cars as well.

41 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

I also find, compared to other cars, that the camera gets blurred completely when driving in the rain from water going up on the camera. It is installed rather low, I think.

Some cars have cameras joined to the rear washer that cleans the lenses when you run the rear wiper. On the Aygo I just wipe the camera lens with a tissue when I notice it getting obscured.

I had a Renault Megane IV and I never had a problem viewing the back on that one after arriving from a highway ride in the rain.
The Aygo : The camera gives me a too blurred view and is not usable in the same circumstances.
I just wipe it with my finger regularly and found that to be sufficient.

Yes, the lines that predict the way the car will go while steering were present on the Megane too and that was a nice thing to have.
Maybe on the AYGO the view is rather wide and I need to get used to that, do more interpretation by using the lines on the camera (blue and red).

I am aware that my personal experiences are not general ones and other people / cars can have different problems or not have the same as I have.

For example : my Renault didn't give a bad camera view after driving in the rain but the complete engine was replaced by a 100 percent new one at around 37000 km / 23000 miles / 5 years.
The reason of the engine going bad was a design mistake ...  the new engine that replaced the broken one had the same design mistake built in.
So everything is relative 🙂
The Aygo with it's camera will do fine. As long as the engine doesn't go out on 37000 km, I'm happy enough ! 🙂

If you are having issues fit a decent aftermarket camera, you will need a camera addition adapter these are fairly inexpensive (Carplay aka triple play aka YV020 uses the same lead)

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Add-camera-OEM-Aygo-Citroen-C1-Peugeot-108-X-Touch-X-Nav-monitor-8-pin-connector-27-226